xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Rosaline

Hair Straightening Products Any luck with them?

Response--to straighten or not Hair Straightening Products

I have my hair chemically straightened every 3 months.  I have VERY oily hair and my hair also has this wavy, curly thing going on and nice and straight in other parts.  So, I decided 2 years ago to perm it so it was all curly. LOVED IT!  But I got tired of it and wanted a change. So I decided to cut off over 16" and chemically straighten it.  (If I did not straighten it, I would look like a giant Q-tip, I have VERY thick hair).  Well, I LOVE IT!  I would advise people with baby fine hair not to have this done.  It is very harsh and you have to condtion like crazy.  As I said above that I have VERY oily hair, I now have a nice blance.  I can go and wash my hair every other day and just touch it up.  I do use the flat iron and blow dryer.  JUST CONDITION LIKE CRAZY!!  I use L'OREAL shampoo and conditioner, the yellow bottle or the pink bottle. They are both for dry and damaged hair.  I switch between them between haircuts.  Yellow when I need a cut and Pink for when I just got it cut.  My ends do get dry, just get a trim every six weeks, like you should anyways.  I hope this has helped you in your decision.  Now, when you do get it done, don't freak out when your hair to plastered to your head for about a week or so until you have some regrowth, do the top last and work from the bottom up and don't ever leave on for the full time.  I only leave it on for about 10 minutes and sometimes I think that is too long. 

Hair Straightening Products - Any Luck With Them?Hair Straightening Products

In comment to re-greta's post; this is a perfect example of why,When working with these chemicals at home, you should ALWAYS do theAllergy/strand test.  Even if you have used the product in the past youShould still do this test as you can still develop an allergy to theProduct even though there was no allergy last time you used it.  ThisTest, when watched closely as it should be, in addition to letting youKnow if you have an allergy to the product will also tell you the exactAmount of time for perfect processing for your hair.  So you will knowIn advance exactly how long the product should stay on your hair forPerfect results.

Just be careful with home products.  For bestResults, if you are inexperienced and unfamiliar with working withThese chemicals, you should consult a hair professional instead.  It sure beats having to consult that professional after-the-fact when you end up with a disaster to fix.

Best wishes to you no matter what you decide to do, I hope it turns out just as you were hoping! /txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley1.Gif

Wash hair with a Sunset Hair Elements™ Shampoo, rinse and towel dry,release a quarter-sized amount of Straightening Treatment into the palm of your hand and work into hair from front to back,proceed to blow dry hair with warm heat and use a product this a best for you and you also do straight at home also.

If you want a professional flat iron and you are ok with spending around $140 I would highly recommend the Karmin G3 Salon Pro, it heats up to 450f with temperature control, dual voltage, tourmaline ceramic plates with rounded edges which makes it great for also curling your hair. Also has a 3 year warranty. If you are in the US you can buy from http://www.myhairstylingtools.com/, they are also giving away a free heat matt/carrying case and some heat serum that works really well. If you are in Canada you can buy at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. If you do look at other irons make sure to stay away from irons with painted plates (colored plates) these can damage your hair. A little about plate quality:* Aluminum ? 90?s and low quality, will stick to your hair and terrible results. * Colored Plates ? Stay away from these, they may look nice but they are for show and they are not good for your hair.* Ceramic Plates ? White or Yellowish color plate ? These plates are good but they are older technology from around 2002. Many companies still use these as it is cheaper to manufacture than a tourmaline ceramic plate. * Titanium Plates ? Gun Metal Grey color ? These are great plates and provide great results. These and Tourmaline Ceramic plates are about the same in quality but work different with different hair types. You would need to try both to see which one provides the best results for your hair type. * Tourmaline Ceramic ? Gun Metal Grey in color ? These are currently the best plates on the market. currently I only see Karmin and Sedu using these plates. It appears all the other brands are focused on cutting costs by using the cheaper plates. Some features you should look for:* Variable Temperature Control (If you have thick hair make sure it heats up to at least 420F)* Swivel Cord* At least a 3 year warranty (most hair straighteners will die in the first year or two)* If you travel then make sure its dual voltageYou can also check reviews at http://flatironsreviews.com/ to see their ranking of the top 10 flat irons. Good luck and I hope this helps.Owner of 5 salons with 12 years of experience. :lol:

I don't have curly or really wavy hair (just some natural wave), but I use Herbal Essences Straighten Up (I think that's the name of it - it's in a pink bottle) shampoo, conditioner and mousse, plus I use my straightener on my hair, layer by layer, and use some hairspray on it as I'm straightening it. I've heard that the John Frieda straightening shampoo works well, but that's out of my budget, so I've never personally used it.
The stuff you are talking about, the chemical relaxer, is for ethnic hair, I believe, so I'm not sure how well it would work with non-ethnic/textured hair.

I used to use Herbal Essences for straightening, but I realized the Shielo Hydrate line works SO MUCH BETTER! I use the Hydrate Conditioner and then when I style I use their Leave In Protectant (antioxidant) and it makes my wavy hair so perfectly straight.

I don't recommend this type of straightening products, they use harmful chemicals that can severely damage the hair, that's why I prefer the flat iron which is safer and cause less damage, I use a good one, it's the Karmin G3 Salon Pro that has tourmaline ceramic plates which leaves the hair soft, shiny, healthy and very straight.