xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
delivi

Download Hd Movie In 1 Second

That's great!

How to deal with the last mile? I think that's the question.

You were the only person to have mentioned this. :)

For those of you who don't know why I was surprised at the mentioning of "the last mile," here's a quick cap on what this means:

Last-mile technologies are the mediums that separate outside access lines to the cables that go to your DSL/cable/fiber modems and introduce what is called "the last-mile problem." Basically, the technologies that connect the consumer to the network we know as the Internet are incapable of processing/feeding the transfer of data from access lines as quickly as it is actually received, so the performance of the entire system is bottle-necked at that last-mile technology. This is mostly physical limitations of the hardware, but some ISPs actually limit the transmission bandwidth speeds within their modems. (I believe Verizon limits their bandwidth and charges its customers for a simple modification to the modem itself to allow higher speeds for their FiOS service. Some cable ISPs may do the same.) This means that with a bit of know-how, you can access better speeds with physical changes to the hardware (whether it be a switch, a jumper, or even a whole different component to lessen these restrictions).

Anyway, I suppose that this wouldn't be bottle-necked since the modem hardware itself would be a special build allowing for that kind of bandwidth to jump back and forth. In the case of the Swedish woman's ultra-fast connection, they were actual routers designed for that sort of speed (with hardware using a new sort of modulation/demodulation method).

I'm sure that this will only be available to people and/or entities that have the money for a dedicated line. But our speeds are getting up there. With the exclusion of last-mile technologies, Verizon FiOS offers 15MB/s of upload/download transfer rates.

I got to say, I remember the dialup days, then I found cable, and fell madly in love....Now that I have fiber to the curb, 15mbps up and down, well.. I'd probably leave my wife for 160gb/s. LOL