xisto Community
alapidus

What Does It Mean If Whenever I Flash My Bios... urgent problem...

whenever i try to flash my BIOS for my asus k8v se dx, it automatically reboots, but right after that i get the error "CMOS Checksum Bad", and the bios flash is unsuccessful...what's the problem and how do i fix?thanks in advance

whenever i try to flash my BIOS for my asus k8v se dx, it automatically reboots, but right after that i get the error "CMOS Checksum Bad", and the bios flash is unsuccessful...

what's the problem and how do i fix?

thanks in advance

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you probablt have the wrong bios or in your bios you have chose to lock it so it cant be modified and thats why it woulf be restarting also all "CMOS Checksum Bad" means is that all the cmos settings are empty (got reset) and are now set to default unles you set them again.

i haven't touched the cmos since i got the motherboard. i got the bios directly from asus's website like it says. and the automatic rebooting is fine, i'm using ez-flash like it says to do with the version i got...i can't think of a solution except that my motherboard (that i got for newegg) might be defective :D

i haven't touched the cmos since i got the motherboard. i got the bios directly from asus's website like it says. and the automatic rebooting is fine, i'm using ez-flash like it says to do with the version i got...

i can't think of a solution except that my motherboard (that i got for newegg) might be defective :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just told you, lots of motherboards have an option in the bios that protect it from being written to, and you said you havent touched the cmos, well when you tried and failed to flash the bios it got reset. Try reading the motherboard manual and lookin for a bios lock or just search in the cmos menu yourself.

Simply put.....most laptops have their BIOS locked. In which case you cannot flash/upgrade your laptop. Their sre still some of them with an unlocked BIOS.This is one little problem with laptops. I think you should stop trying to flash your laptop's BIOS should in case you damage it. You should be happy that your laptop hasnt gone bad after several trials to flash its BIOS.I bet you that you've got yourself a real good laptop or it would have turned into a bad story for ya.My Advice to you: Quite trying to flash your laptop's BIOS less you damage it.

Whenever I switch on my system it gives the error error 251 CMOS checksum bad and the computer loses its date and time settings.Does this mean I have to replace the battery?-abhinav

Is your computer a laptop or a desktop?IT is the BIOS battery(what keeps the settings and the time)If its a laptop, I cant help you replace the battery,If its a desktop, the battery is probably a CR2032, you can probably get one at Radioshack for ripoff prices :P or look around.You open up your case, and look for the shiny silver, coin- like battery, pop it out with a screwdriver or somethings, and put a new one in.As a precaution, be sure to ground yourself and not touch anything else.