xisto Community
ghostrider

An Application To 'track' Homework.. Should I go for it?

Two years ago I designed a program called Homework Helper. It is a program that was designed to help you organize all of your homework, projects, tests, and other various things. I've always had the dream to turn it into a web based application, but until recently I didn't have the PHP skills to do so. Now I do. If I were to design it, it would allow you to keep track of your homework, upcoming projects and tests, and would also be able to send reminders via e-mail, AIM, and even text messages. I'd also like to have it work with mobile phones. My question to you is this, does it sound like something worth designing, and is there anything that I should consider adding if I do design it? I've had pretty good responses so far :). Hopefully you guys think its a good idea too.

Edited by Yratorm, LightMage
Vague title, corrected - feel free to recorrect it to something that pleases you better, ghostrider.. (see edit history)

SOunds like a great tool, but the only way it would be useful is if people actually logged when they had homework and tests. Good idea though, i would try to use it but i would end up forgetting to update it.

I'm not really into that kind of thing, so I wouldn't use it, but some people probably would. You'd have to make it accessible by phones though, since if you can't remember your homework it'd kind of defeat the purpose if people had to wait to get home and on the internet in order to add stuff to it.

sounds just like a Calendar/Time tracker software... Lots of those around to Mod or adapt..

Thanks for all of your posts :). Its nice to get 3 in one day. I made my decision, and I will be developing this over the summer, for use next school year. I'll keep all you guys posted on how development is going.

It sure sounds interesting. By developing this project you will need to look really deep into PHP and timing options, which will be great for your practice. Are you going to use MySQL or flat file for your project?Also, are you going to use some Javascript or Ajax, so that you can have some cool looking application?Also like jlhaslip said that there are probably large ammount of calendar/events scripts availiable, there is always a good chance that you will desing some nice script if you think of it enough time. Maybe you could try making a flux diagram before, so that you can add all the needed components and to see how are they gonna affect each other easier.It's also important that if you make it Procedural, that you leave space for your functions to easily be expanded, or removed if they don't suit your needs. Also try looking at the OOP programming perspective more. When you design a new application that maybe later you feel to expand, or develop even more, OOP is a great way to go.Keep us informed!Good luck

hi friends,how r u all????can not tell u exactly about how i feel about your project ghostrider....but on the face of it it sounds interesting and useful...what i feel is that one thing is important that you find a way to connect it to mobile somehow...because that is where reminders will be helpful...if you will send reminders through e mail or something like that it will not be so helpful since when people will be seeing there reminders they will be working on their personal computers and when they will log out and go to work then they might forget about that...that is why i feel that you must have it connected to mobile somehow...though i feel that there might be some else same sort of thing in the market now, and i advise you to first check through searching that whether something like that exists or not, but i feel that your project is definitely worth giving a shot...best of luck to you for your project.... and keep informing us so that we can give you some inputs....if you want to...ok ...bye to all..

It could work. But I know I wouldn't log onto a site and Post my upcoming tests and Projects and such. I would rather spend the time outside or doing something other than posting my work. I think you could get some people. The People who's parents harrass them and are very meticulous. But I dont see the average "Joe" Using the site. It's a great Idea, But I think it would only attract a select few.

hi yachts,i agree with you but you can slowly and slowly attract features that can help even an average guy...i dont want to disappoint and lower the morale of ghostrider and neither am i writing this just for the sake of increasing his morale....but i really feel that he should seriously give it a try...ok bye...i would like to see some suggestions which can help ghostrider in his project...seriously...that will be the best use of being a member on Xisto...helping other friends out...bye....keep writing...

That's a great idea but I agree with others about students (like myself) being lazy and having other things to do. HOWEVER, here's another idea: Develop online software aimed to be used by schools instead of individual students. Instead of students putting up their own assignement dates and homework tasks, have the teachers do it. If a student forgets when his exam is or forgets what the homework was for that night, he can log-on to the school website and check it out. He can opt-in to get email and txt message reminders too :) Now that sounds more useful and efficient. :) Hope it helps!