xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
crazyteens

How To Apply For A University

The process for applying to University varies dramatically depending on what country you are in. For example, here in the UK you use something called UCAS to submit an application, which is then reviewed by the universities you want to apply to. After a few weeks you are then told what conditional offers, non-conditional offers and refusals you have received from those Universities you applied to. If you tell us which country you are in, or which country you intend to attend University in, then we can provide much more useful information.

Typically the universities in the US might require you to submit an application online. That's how most applications are done these days anyways. Most require you to write a paper or two on a subject. Some are about "why do you want to attend this university and what makes you a good candidate for this school?" or something like that. Some are about a hardship you had to go through. I would suggest you spend lots of time on it unless your some person that writes really well. Give the paper to your teachers and peers to check for errors. They are application fees for submitting a college application but some schools might waive that fee if you had a SAT fee waiver or something like that. As your counselor for all this information. They should be able to help you in detail. Then there's financial aid and that's another subject.

Edited by wenster (see edit history)

My school has a "college center" where there's a guidance counselor without any assigned students but who runs the AP program and knows apparently anything there is to know about applying, is there anything like that where you go? If you're in the US (or maybe even if you're not), I'd check out collegeboard.com, they might have something useful there.

The easiest way to figure out how to apply to a specific university (your number-one school, in other words), visit the Web site. There's probably an entire section devoted to applications/admissions. You'll find out how much it will cost to apply, what degree and certification programs that school offers, how many campuses there are in your area, the tuition and fees rate schedule, et cetera.That's easiest because every university has its own way of doing things. At my school, I applied online and used my credit card to pay the $35 application fee. At the school I attended before that (a community college), I had to turn in a printed application (but no app. fees).As for writing papers: some universities don't require you to write an admissions essay. Mine doesn't, but I wrote one anyway because I wanted to make sure that my application caught somebody's attention. If you're still in high school, your guidance counselor can help you find out where to go for writing help. Or maybe one of the English teachers can take a few minutes to proofread one of your papers and offer a few suggestions. Somebody out there will help you, so keep looking around and asking :)

Visit the University's website, in most cases there are sections devoted to how to apply/admissions, costs of studying for a varied degree and the list of what the university offers.Also, it varies country by country. For example in Australia, we have to apply through a University Admissions Centre (name varies by Australian state) which then assesses you on your abilities, or for recent school leavers their final Writing/Literacy/Maths scores before a particular university can accept the student. I'm not sure about the admission procedures for the other countries as I never had the time to find outBut as others said, still in high school? I would suggest talking to a counsellor which can help and refer you to third parties for any help that you may need.