xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Smack

Which Desktop Applications Widgets For Ubuntu

So yesterday I got fed up with using Windows on my desktop PC (I'm used to OSX Tiger on my iBook) so I said to hell with Microsoft and installed Ubuntu FeistyFawn on my desktop. So, it's awesome and I love it more than Windows but I see a lot of screenshots on the web with people that have these neat looking desktop widgets, kind of like the when you put stuff from your Mac Dashboard on the desktop. Anyways, my question is where do I get all those cool widgets and what are the best - or the most popular?

I am using Kubuntu, which is based off KDE, as opposed to Ubuntu's Gnome base. On KDE, SuperKaramba is pretty much the standard for desktop widgets until KDE4 and Plasma come out. For Gnome, as far as I can remember, you will be looking for something like gDesklets. The most popular widgets are things like clocks, calculators, sticky notes, system monitors, and the weather. Each of these has loads of versions made by many different people, simply look around and see which you like best. This section of the gDesklets site seems to hold a list of all the widgets/desklets out there.

Good luck in finding what you want :)

I'd recommend SuperKaramba for CPU monitoring (just 'cause it looks better) and gDesklets for Weather (just 'cause the one i found actually supported my city :)). Oh, and if you want more eye-candy, and if your computer supports 3D acceleration, download and install Beryl.