xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Damen

Garage Band! Windows Version? Anyone know of a windows version of garage band?

Anyone know of any freeware(or not) programs for windows?Garage Band! Windows Version?

Try Audacity. It's a free recording software. I have recorded a number of my own songs with it. There are no restrictions. You can find it online.

-reply by S. Strauch

I really like Mixcraft as a GarageBand for Vista, the interface is almost identical and you can use your GarageBand loops in it too. The latest version has an onscreen keyboard and musical typing like GarageBand and you can even edit Video with it. The only difference really lies in the shortcuts which are different from GarageBand, but personally I was up and running on it within an hour or so and I am certainly no genius when it comes to software! This review I found pretty much covers all the bases:
GarageBand for Vista

there is one you can get a free version our you can buy the full one its called music maker by magix it is the best out there in my opinion

You can use mixcraft instead of garageband, but you don't have the magic garageband files like roots rock, blues, rock and the other loops. If it could be a way to download the original loops, found them at youtube, but in very bad quality. Maybe if someone in the forum that use mac could upload the files here. If you have the files from garageband you can use Mixcraft, and Audacity (but if you're using audacity you must have each instrument in separate channels in mp3 or wav so i don't recommend it, but it works.)

There are actually a few decent options available for users who love Garageband but only have access to a PC.

Newbies to sound recording who are on a tight budget can't go past Audacity. It's very basic and doesn't have any loop libraries or special effects, but it's open source, free and pretty decent quality for a freebie.

Acid Music Studio 8 by Sony is another solid contender. It is a more upmarket alternative, though its interface is very "PC". It can be a little frustrating to use because it's nowhere near as intuitive as Garageband, but the functionality is fairly similar once you get a handle on it.

The closest Garageband equivalent for PC though, is definitely Mixcraft 5 by Acoustica (you can download a free trial at Garageband for Windows). It not just does what Garageband does, it LOOKS and feels like Garageband too. Very much an Apple-looking product disguised for PC use. It has a very "Apple" interface, similar ease of use, an impressive stack of built in loops and beats and loads of groovy little features just like Garageband. It's the closest Garageband for PC alternative I've found, by a mile.

That response was of no help.Someone out there must know a Windows program that is similar to Mac's Garage Band.I need a program i can get my music onto.+ edit and one I can lay extra tracks down.Someone please help. :)