xisto Community
RedAlert

Should Gun Control Laws Be Strengthened?

This was the debate I had in my American Citizenship class today.Apparently, my entire class thinks that gun control laws should be improved. They said our system of acquiring firearms is lacking, and that anyone could get a gun if they really wanted to. Guns are meant for killing people, yadda yadda yadda, Virginia Tech, etc. etc. etc., I thought it was *BLEEP*.When asked who thought that our system right now works, I was the only one to think so. I honestly don't see anything wrong with the way we've handled guns so far. If we were to strengthen gun control, the only possible way I could see a law being made was if the person had a criminal record. Since our debate was based on the Virginia Tech shootings, that wouldn't have helped at all, since the kid had no criminal record to begin with. Not to mention it's abridging our second amendment. I thought that people would just use alternate methods of killing people anyway: crime wouldn't go down, but crimes involving guns would. It really made no difference to me, and seemed like it would be a bunch of pointless legislation when we could be focusing on other things.What's your view? I really want to see something that changes my mind.

This was the debate I had in my American Citizenship class today.
Apparently, my entire class thinks that gun control laws should be improved. They said our system of acquiring firearms is lacking, and that anyone could get a gun if they really wanted to. Guns are meant for killing people, yadda yadda yadda, Virginia Tech, etc. etc. etc., I thought it was *BLEEP*.

When asked who thought that our system right now works, I was the only one to think so. I honestly don't see anything wrong with the way we've handled guns so far. If we were to strengthen gun control, the only possible way I could see a law being made was if the person had a criminal record. Since our debate was based on the Virginia Tech shootings, that wouldn't have helped at all, since the kid had no criminal record to begin with. Not to mention it's abridging our second amendment. I thought that people would just use alternate methods of killing people anyway: crime wouldn't go down, but crimes involving guns would. It really made no difference to me, and seemed like it would be a bunch of pointless legislation when we could be focusing on other things.

What's your view? I really want to see something that changes my mind.

Actually, the VTech shooter did have sort of a record. He was shown to have some mental problems, but never
got the help that he needed for some reason.

Also, maybe the United States needs to change the amendments. The right to bear arms was given to us because our founding fathers thought we would be safe that way. If the 13 colonies didn't have any guns, we would not have won the American Revolutionary War. The militias of the colonies would not have any weapons to fight with. Giving the people of our country to bear arms would keep the militias strong.

However, today we have one of the strongest military forces in the world. We don't really have the need to have
small militias to fight enemies off. Times have changed, and our laws will have to change. Although I know
that many people would hate such a law, I think that it would keep us safe. Our founding fathers even thought
of in their wildest dreams a person that would take a gun and kill 32 of his own countrymen by shooting at them execution-style and then committing suicide.

Guns are a tool to kill a living thing. People use guns in hunting, murder, and military. People do use guns for
target practice, but historically, that is only to increase the person's power in killing. For target practice, there are
those guns that shoot wax bullets. We need guns in the military, no question. However, I don't know how to make
sure that guns don't play a part in murder, but people can still hunt with them.

If a gun can kill a deer, than a gun can kill a person.

Change the Amendments?Um. No. The founding fathers wrote those Amendments to ensure that the people - that would be the individual citizen, a.k.a. me - have basic rights. They had to write these because America had just escaped from an overbearing government: they were terrified that giving the new, American government too much authority/leeway/power/control/what-have-you would end badly. And they would be right on that.Take away one Amendment - one guaranteed right - and the government will take away another. Do you want to retain your right to petition the government? Do you want to vote? Do you want your freedom of speech? Do you want the right to not incriminate yourself on the witness stand? Besides: just because the founding fathers did not necessarily predict the rare incident of a crazed idiot shooting up a college does not mean that they did not intend for individual citizens to retain the right to self-defense. Whether the threat is an evil government (foreign or domestic - whatever), enemies in a war or a puke-eating waste who shows up in a mall around Christmastime with a Glock, the point remains that we have the right to protect and defend ourselves.The police cannot protect every one of us 24/7. It's not their job anyway. They're "law enforcement" not "crime prevention." Until or unless I have an armed, trained LEO shadowing me 24/7, 365 days a week, I'm retaining my right to protect myself.

America has to develop a system where guns are controlled in a better manner. Everybody who possesses a gun must be capable of using it responsibly. Since that can never be ascertained for sure, licensing must be made stricter. You need to be protected using a gun because guns are so ubiquitous. Since nearly everbody has a gun, everybody needs protection from one another. Whatever it is America has to find a way to balance the vision of the forefathers and keep guns away from disillusioned minds.

I believe it has been said before and will be said again in the future. And will also be disagreed with and somtimes agreed with."Guns Don't Kill People, People Kill People"If we had not guns you would get stabbed instead of shot in the head I would rather be shot. :unsure:

my entire class thinks that gun control laws should be improved

If said class is trapped in the public (i.e. government controlled) school system, this collective attitude does not suprise me, as these students are generally brainwashed into accepting whatever garbage the state decides to dish out. Thankfully, the topic starter has the werewithall and intellect to resist the state's mind-numbing agenda.

Should "gun control" laws be improved? Tell your zombie colleagues that laws drawn up to protect the citizenry against criminals are ALREADY on the books, but, they are not enforced. And why are they not enforced? Because the Powers that Be do not care about protecting you or me. They purposely allow (and contrive) situations to get out of control to create a panic state of frenzy, thereby fooling the sheeple into accepting rules that benefit neither you nor I. There is no (legitimate) need to further chip away at the citizenry's inalienable rights of self-protection and empowerment. One need look no further than to nations that have enacted so-called "gun control" to witness the utter folly inherent in such draconian legislation.

Inevitably, communities with the harshest gun control laws suffer the highest rise in crime against innocent citizens. And one need only think like a criminal to understand why this is so. Ponder this: If you were a sex offender planning on carrying out a criminal act against a woman, would you be more likely to attack an unarmed woman, or the woman with a 44 magnum pointed at your filthy crotch?

As for Virgina Tech, Columbine, and whatever massacre you can site, it could have been solved quite quickly and easily, if one other person, other than the Gunmen themselves, would have had a Gun. They could have ended it quite quickly!

My personal anti-anti-gunner motto is "An armed society, is a polite society!!!!!!!"

Your not gonna Rob, Rape, Etc, if your chances of getting shot is good.....

Gun control Laws do NOT need to be strengthened, they are already strong enough! First and foremost, the laws that are already on the books need to be enforced, before any new ones are enacted!

Changing The Second Amendment........ummmm NO!!!!!!!!! Not in my lifetime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even if they were to mange to do this, Guns would still be available on the Blackmarket. This holds true even now, because if you get turned down, for the purchase of a gun through proper channels, you can always buy one on the Blackmarket. Most 8th Graders in Chicago, can tell you which corner to go to, to buy a gun! Heck, If you know the right people you can buy, even banned guns on the Blackmarket,!!! This is going on now!! What would it be like if the Government were to outlaw guns????

If said class is trapped in the public (i.e. government controlled) school system, this collective attitude does not suprise me, as these students are generally brainwashed into accepting whatever garbage the state decides to dish out. Thankfully, the topic starter has the werewithall and intellect to resist the state's mind-numbing agenda.

Don't even get me started on this statement, this would take this way off topic!!!!!!

Little fact most people don't know, and won't find out in any Public School right now. One of the things Hitler did after rising to Power, in Germany, before WWII was, to take guns out of the hands of the people!!! What if????

You can take my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!!!

Edited by pinwillie (see edit history)