xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
velma

Do You Think Your Pet Dreams? Tell me whether you believe that your pets dream or not like science s

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, why shouldn't animals have dreams? People are animals. Dreams are controled by the subconsious, animals have a suconsious. There is no reason why they shouldn't.

I've always found myself wondering this. I mean it's a really weird thing to really think deep about.....but i've always wanted to know how animals think and if it's in anyway similar to humans. I would have to say that they do dream.....but I don't know what about or how it works. I've seen my dogs at night twitching in their sleep or making little noises.....and we've concluded that they were dreaming. I just don't really know for sure however. If anyone defnintely knows then that would be cool.

any living being with a brain capable to do so should be able to dream. Like my cat would always purr and meow in his sleep, and would even make random noises like imitating a dog or horse.

I think some do and some don't. For example, dogs and cats probably do because they are pretty smart (compared to most household animals). A pet ant :P or frog, for example, probably don't dream because their mind is incapable of doing it. I don't know a lot about science so my idea is very unlikely, but that's just what came to mind what I saw the question. No need to publish my brilliant idea :P

I totally agree. I was just at my cousins house and they have a puppy, and he was sitting next to me and suddenly he starts like kicking and making faces... It was really funny. I didnt mention it to them because they might think hes sick, but I also have birds and I see htem asleep sometimes: they dont do anything. The birds just sit there... And I had hamsters, they just sometimes like roll around a little... :S

Well, I'm pretty sure my dog dreams when she sleeps. She does all the running, barking, and whining, but sometimes she also eats in her dreams. You can hear her tongue lapping up stuff in her mouth and then her swallowing. It's really odd. Sometimes she'll also get a really big smile on her face, like when you're scratching her right on the side of her neck and it makes her leg twitch.The other thing that's weird is that her eyes don't close all the way when she's asleep, so you can actually see the rapid eye movements (REM) while she sleeps. Scientists say that our brains are actually active during the REM phase of sleep, and this is when our most vivid dreams occur. So if my dog is experiencing REM sleep, then her brain should be active and probably dreaming.

Either my cat IS dreaming when she sleeps, or she is just mental (highly doubt it). She runs, kicks, meows, and sometimes even walks then falls over yet still sleeping.Its quite funny actually.Not all the time though. I just wish I could see them.

I would have to say my dog dreams. Here are my reasons:

~~~

1) Once, I was watching TV in the evening with my family. Jack, one of my dogs, was sleeping, as usual. He was lying on the floor next to me against my feet. So he suddenly starts kicking with his hind feet. So, he's kicking me. I'm like, "What the.." Jack's eyes were closed, and he was breathing peacefully. And he was kicking me.

2) Another time, my other dog, Dixie, was sleeping. Again, against my feet. But he didn't kick me. Instead, he just began giving little "woofs". Eyes closed, peaceful breathing, the whole thing. And yet, he was "woofing".

3) Yet another time, my dog Jack was again against my feet. He kicked me, as you have probably guessed. But it was like he was racing, like he was sideways on a racing track. His legs started moving like he was running.. It hurt.

~~~

That's why I think so. And also, dogs are human beings, right? All living things have dreams.. I think. Anyways, that's my vote!

I believe even my hamsters dream too. I've seen them moving their limbs a lot when they sleep.

My opinion: of course they do!They are extremely active in their sleep, if you have ever watched a dog sleeping.They can wake up scared, happy and just have a range of emotions... that is achieved by dreaming. They also go through the REM (rapid eye movement) stage which is where dreaming is. If you look, you can see their eyes moving at some points in their sleep. This is where their eyes are actually moving in their sleep!

I don't see why pets wouldn't be able to dream, since they sleep so much. I'm not sure the scientific process on it, but cognitively, they probably just don't get the same level of sophistication of dreams as humans do. Human dreams have so much that variation and randomness, but I would imagine my dogs dreams to be a lot like his primary entertainment during the day: food and play. I could see him dreaming about chasing squirrels and finding things to eat, but I doubt he could remember the last dog he played with at the dog park. It would be interesting to get a glimpse at what our pets dreams look like; I wonder of any of us appear?

I think they do, but not because I think they have a soul or are like us or anything. Quite the opposite: I think we are more like them. Dreams are just random signals in the brain--the things in your dreams come from images and conversations and fleeting thoughts from the day. If you don't remember seeing or hearing something that was in your dream, it's because it was there but you didn't really see it or hear it, but it is still in your unconscious. Dogs move and growl in their sleep, so of course something is going on in their head, just like us. If you have a brain, you can dream. Dreaming isn't a special thing that humans have that proves we have a soul or that we can reason, and they certainly don't MEAN anything. Freud was crazy, and nothing he ever did was legitimate.But, yes, dogs dream, and so does anything else with a brain.

Yeah I would have to agree that cats and dog dream, especially dog when they do fidgit and what not, I did find some interesting articles about cats and dogs dreaming, http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art46704.asp. What really caught my attention was this part:I been hearing things about narcoleptic dogs years ago and along with the fact they sometimes growl as well when they are asleep, of course do we really want to know what they are dreaming about? THe human mind is bizarre enough when it comes to dreams I only could imagine what they are thinking about i.e. they got us on a leash and walking us around hte park to poop and pee on a lawn somewhere :).

i think my ou chui (my dogs name) is dreaming. Because sometimes he is very happy after sleeping, maybe he dreams something very happy.

If you think of a dream as your brain's way of processing information that it may have received, and the sights and sounds of your dream and its interpretations of this activity going on, then I would say it's very plausible that pets dream. Even though their minds don't function on the same level as ours do, they still take in information about the world and need to process it. This would result in dreams, though probably not in the same amount of detail or way that we are used to them.I'm sure someone out there has done a study monitoring animals' brain waves while they sleep. I'm not familiar with any such work, but it would be interesting to investigate to see if their waves are similar to ours. This might indicate whether or not they dream.