xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Robbie.Knox

Php 4

Ok so I signed up with this host so I can try and start a football (soccer) forum with my Invision 1.3. However, being the plonker that I am I didn't check that this hosting comes with PHP 5, when Invision is built for PHP 4. Now I know that there are tutorials for converting IPB 1.3 for PHP 5, but then if I do that I have to attempt to convert all the add-ons I want, which I would have no idea how to do.Is there anything I can do to use PHP 4 on my hosting account?ThanksRob

Well first get a more secured and updated forum, IPB 1.3 has so many security problems that you will be wasting your time trying to prevent script kiddes from getting in instead of running your site. What I suggest is that you go with phpbb, SMF, which are free forum software and can be used on php 5, or plunk down the money for IPB 2.2. I don't think it won't even matter if you were able to convert 1.3 successfully you will still have the same security problems, so look at some more updated forum software and it will save you a major headache.

Yeah thanks for the advice I looked through but decided on IPB. I cant afford 2.2, phpBB has a new version coming out soon so I'd have to upgrade (and all the mods are for different versions, so I'd have to convert them too) and I didn't really get on with SMF.Is SMF compatible with PHP 5?

Is SMF compatible with PHP 5?

Yeah, it is. I have it installed for my site. Runs fine, perfect and quick. Didn't run into any problems with it.

Optionally, you can download and install phpbb version 3 already, but it is not a stable version yet... It is very similar to the IPB 2.2 in terms of functions. and the price is right... :unsure:

Of course the price is right its free :unsure:, anyways I do believe the late versions of smf, phpbb and even IPB are both php4 and php5 so you can use them on either or. Of course you would have to pay attention to what mods you install since you now have to deal with both php4 versions and php5 versions, but I highly doubt you will have any problems with most mods regardless of what version it is. If I remember correctly though php5 just added a few things and some restructuring in how the code is so you should be able to still use most mods.

smf is by far the greatest. their support is unmatched. they have hundreds of mods and themes, and it is very easy to write your own! i like ipb, but smf is way simpler. i had no idea how to do ipb when i first started it, with smf, it was easier than breathing...

There are very few changes in php5 that would affect scripts running in php4.The largest changes had to do with Object Oriented Programming Structure (OOPS), and if your code runs in php4, it should be compatible with php5. php5 is backwards compatible. The other direction is when you run into more difficulties.