xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
truefusion

[gimp] Gradient-brush Sig Tutorial As requested...

This tutorial assumes that you know the basics and way around the GIMP. This tutorial is also based on the following sig:

Posted Image

Note: This tutorial was written and made under Linux for convenience purposes (gotta love KSnapshot :unsure:), so shortcut keys may differ under Windows.

Create a new document: File > New (Ctrl+N): 400px (w) by 150px (h).

Load up your render: File > Open As Layer (Ctrl+Alt+O).

Scale the image (render) down a bit if it covers too much room.

Posted Image

Make sure this first layer stays on top, and duplicate the render layer enough times to cover the background. Get creative, not just with random placement, so that it looks okay.

Posted Image

Make a new layer below the first (main) render layer and name it grad1.

Here you can either stick with the color white or choose another bright or light color. Take out your gradient tool, and in Gradient in the options, choose FG to Transparent.

In that new layer that we created, create a gradient that looks similar to this (which can be achieve in around 3-4 tries, +/-):

Posted Image

Select the first (main) render layer and then apply a Script-Fu script: Shadow > Xach-Effect (use the default settings). Select > None (Shift+Ctrl+A), afterwards.

Reduce the newly-created Shadow layer's transparency to 30. Then position the shadow to where it looks like it is more behind the render rather than to the side.

Select the newly-created Highlight layer and nudge (move) it once to the left.

Select the grad1 layer and select the gradient tool. Under Shape choose Radial, and make sure Reverse is checked. Try to estimate where the center would be on the render, click there and drag outward to a good distance so that the edges of the sig are a bit filled with white.

Posted Image

Create a new layer above the grad1 layer and name it grad2.

Now under "Shape" pick Bi-linear, uncheck Reverse, and under Gradient choose FG to BG (RGB). If you have chosen a different bright or light color other than white, click on the black or your background color and change it to its dark version. Then, in the center (vertical) of the sig, click and drag outward so that you get a manga/comic-book feel to the background.

Posted Image

In the layers palette, under Mode pick Lighten Only for that layer (grad2).

Create a new layer and name it grad3. Switch the colors around so that the background color is now the foreground color. In Shape choose Linear. And in Gradient choose FG to Transparent.

Just right below the light-color streak, click and drag downward.

Grab the rectangular marquee tool and select the upper half of the sig. Then clear it: Edit > Clear (Ctrl+K); Select > None (Shift+Ctrl+A), afterwards.

Posted Image

Reduce grad3's opacity to 10.

Duplicate the layer and flip it vertically: Layer > Transform > Flip Vertically.

Duplicate that layer and flip it vertically as well: Layer > Transform > Flip Vertically.

Move the duplicated layers (should be grad3 copy and grad3 copy#1) up and down till you have a nice looking streak effect going on. You may duplicate and flip again if wanting/necessary.

Posted Image

Make a new layer below the first (main) render layer and name it brush1.

Switch the colors around so the light color is the foreground color. Select the brush tool and choose a brush that is fitting with the render: abstract, grunge, grungstract, stars/sparkles and similar work well here.

Start brushing over the lower half of the sig—but don't cover up too much—and brush just a little bit around the render.

Posted Image

After a few brushes have been applied, make a new layer and cal it brush2.

Switch the colors again, and pick another brush style and start brushing around the render.

Posted Image

Make a new layer on top of all the layers and name it grad4. Switch the colors around so that the bright or light color is the foreground color. Pick the gradient tool (settings should be: Linear and FG to Transparent) and drag from above the sig to around 60% inward.

Posted Image

In the same layer, from a good distance below the sig, click and drag about 10% inward.

Posted Image

Then make a new layer (border, if you will) and add a border, and some text, and you're done!

You may try out this unique way of making a sig in the GIMP and, if possibe, in Photoshop if you want.

Outcome

Posted Image

[hr=noshade]

Text

Analyze the sig as a whole and try to picture a matching font (and effect to go with the text).

Grab the text tool and click in the area where you want the text to show up in the sig.

A dialog box will appear: type in your user name (forum name) (or whatever you want), then close the box. (You may have to position the text afterwards.)

Search out the font that is similar to what you have imagined and pick the size.

Note: For this tutorial i have chosen to use the font "Arial;" font size: 10px.

Duplicate the text layer twice.

Position the first duplicate slightly below the original text layer, and nudge it to the right a bit.

Position the second duplicate slightly below the first duplicate (matching the x-coordinate), and nudge it to the right exactly the same amount of times you nudged the first duplicate.

For the first duplicate change its opacity to 40. For the second duplicate change its opacity to 20.

Tip: Never have your text touching the border or edge of the sig.

[/hr]

Thanks TrueFusion! I needed a new gimp sig tutorial. Making the text, did you just Gaussian Blur it at different Rates every time? That's a nice sig tut, should be using it to do my next sig!~

Making the text, did you just Gaussian Blur it at different Rates every time?

3 text layers: each with its own opacity level—very low opacity levels for the last two; under 50, i think; maybe under 30.

hey truefusion,
I couldn't get the gradient to appear. reallyi made a new layer and named it grad1 i added the gradient but it neve worked. can u find the prob?

Hmm, the only reason i can think of why it wouldn't work is if the blending mode for the gradient tool is on something else (e.g. overlay, soft light, etc.) instead of normal. Besides that, any other reason might include the layer being turned invisible; not sure what else it could be.

Hey true,My ple buddy and pal' .This was made by my request. He said he neede some time so i thought he just needed the pictures. I did;t know he would make it this cool .Oh yeah true one morething In this same topic can you please give us a tut on how to apply the text affect you have used in your sig?Thanks any way your the best in GIMP

Oh yeah true one morething In this same topic can you please give us a tut on how to apply the text affect you have used in your sig?

Done: edited topic-post to include such. I tried to add it in this morning, but when i submitted it returned an error about my bbcode syntax, and i didn't feel like repeating myself again after that.

Hey true,

Really mani love this tut so much. I can't telyouhow much i appreciate you doing this for me. I a entering this a SOTW ( you said this tut was based on that hulk sig right. I see you uploaded it to the same SOTW i am going to put it in. Well thank you for everything . The text effect was really great. Thanks alot truefusion. Iw ill post my results here.

BTW i am putting in the SOTW #58 render challenge.

ok I finished it. here goes nothing. Note:- images hosted by ImageFilez. If unable to see image please send PM

No border: -

Posted Image

With border: -

Posted Image

One last thing I want to ask you. Can you provide us with a cropped version of the render you used? please? and tell me from which game show or whatever it is

Thanks cta

Edited by Ridwan sameer (see edit history)