xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
FolkRockFan

When Good Eyes Go Bad I hate having my eyes dilated

The eye doctor dilated my eyes yesterday. It turns out that I need glasses, which I pick up next week (yay). My headaches, sensitivity to light, blurry close vision, et cetera will go away after I get used to the glasses. Or so I'm told.My appointment was at 9 yesterday morning. The doctor dilated my eyes at around 9:30 or so. I spent the entire day being all but completely helpless.I was able to key in my PIN number to pay by debit card. That was nice, considering that they wanted half of the money for the glasses up front and I didn't have cash on me.I was able to see well enough to walk without running into anybody or anything. I'm sure that the people around me appreciated that.After I got home, I tried to open my mail. I couldn't get my pocket knife where I wanted it (to cut through the tape and such), so I had to hand the packages over to Mom and have her open them for me.I couldn't read the letter that I got from my school's financial aid office yesterday. I had to get Mom to read it aloud to me.I couldn't tell the time, either. (No analog clocks in the house - all digital.)I couldn't read, watch TV (hurt my eyes too much), or even play on my computer. All of that got better by evening, but most of the day was basically wasted if you ask me. I really couldn't do a whole lot.My point in all this, I guess, is that I'm more thankful for my vision now than I was at this time just a couple of days ago. If I were actually blind, I would adapt. I know that I wouldn't be helpless because my other senses would bulk up and take up the slack.But still. Being able to see - even if I have to wear glasses to do it - beats the snot out of the alternative.

I was a bit careless, even after I got my glasses. I didn't use them as often as I was supposed too. I was supposed to use them when I was outside since, but could choose if I wanted to use it inside or not. I did the excact opposite. I did use it inside because I needed it to watch TV and use the computer. So I didn't use it outside and strained my eyes when I looked far away. Now I got worse eye sight and can't see good enough with my old glasses. I'm going for a check-up next week. So you're completely right about appreciating your vision. Same goes with hearing and all your senses. "You don't know what you got before you loose it"

Well...now I've had the glasses for a few weeks and am used to them. I'm feeling a LOT better. The eyestrain is pretty much gone, as are the headaches and the other problems that I was having. Even though I'll have to spend money on my eyes for the rest of my life (or invest in laser surgery, maybe), it's well worth it to me because I'm much more comfortable.Another interesting thing I wanted to mention was a conversation that I had with the eye doctor. We somehow got on the subject of kids and their eyesight. He said that many of his youngest patients had been diagnosed with a learning disability of some sort - ADD/ADHD, dyslexia, et cetera. But some of them, he said, did not show any signs of their disabilities once they got used to their glasses.Some people really do have learning disabilities, of course. But in some cases, it's an incorrect diagnosis. But either way, an eye doctor needs to get a good look at a kid's eyes.

Hi I learnt that I was half blind when I was 17 and damn it was bad as I got the glasses when my eye sight reached -3.5 and -2.5 and I had to wear glasses all the time but now that I have them I love my glasses as they have reduced the stress like crazy and I do not mind looking like a geek as long as I can see.But they had their share of torture too as I have slept on them or have atleast once stepped on them and gotten them fixed so many times that my optician knows the reason of my visit to his shop

BTW velma many people told me to remove my glasses as it impoves my eyesight and reduces strain, lol i really dunno if that is true but yea as i see it, removing my glasses just makes everything blur and well anoying lol as for me well i have 2.00 something prescribed but hate glasses as i play sports lol :lol:

Hi,I remember once playing volleyball with my glasses on(Yes people with my glasses on) Well I was checking out the resistance of my glasses and I played the whole game successfully and at the end of the match when It was time to leave and then a random basketball comes square on my nose breaking my precious glasses at the middle.It was hilarious for my coach was throwing the basketball and I happened to come in the way. Case of my first glasses

Yeah it is not a good thing to be near or far sighted. It gets quite anoying after a while but thanks lord that we have the habit to get used to stuff and so do we get used to near- or farsighteness. I am personally near-sighted which means that I can't see object far away clearly and so I have to constantly wear glasses or lenses. I normally wear lenses for about 8 years now and now I am 21 and a half years old so my dipotry will only get worse for about 1 year and a half, because at that age it stops increasing. I have never had any problems and I think lenses nowadays are so good that there is no problem if you wear them for the whole lifetime...you just have to be careful to visit your eye-doctor from time to time to check that everything is ok and use the best lenses possible - they are a bit more expensive but it is worth it - just think about your eyes - I really think, one should give them the best care possible!Well that is my story...I don't see a problem with lenses or glasses, it is just that the first are a lot more confortable to wear...Best wishes

Hi,I remember once playing volleyball with my glasses on(Yes people with my glasses on) Well I was checking out the resistance of my glasses and I played the whole game successfully and at the end of the match when It was time to leave and then a random basketball comes square on my nose breaking my precious glasses at the middle.It was hilarious for my coach was throwing the basketball and I happened to come in the way. Case of my first glasses

It's pretty crazy what we take for granted.I still sort of do with my vision.I wear contacts now since I don't like having to wear glasses or the fact that I have to worry about breaking them, having them fog up, etc. But of course, with contacts comes a whole different portion of responsibility. And more often than I should, I sleep with my contacts in at night and don't take the "proper" techniques in putting in my contacts, taking care of them, etc. :) The last optometrist I saw told me a whole bunch of stuff about people doing the same thing and then eventually losing their eyesight and such. I don't think I'm the only person to be doing what I'm doing, and I haven't heard of any horror stories of people with contacts, so my cynical nature told me that he was trying to get me to use my contacts for the duration that they were made for and to only buy from them (as he said that 1-800-CONTACTS was shady or something like that, even though they are cheaper).Anyone else sleep in with their contacts and/or wear 2-week lenses for over two weeks and/or anything else that optometrists generally advise against doing?

SEEING & GLASSES

When Good Eyes Go Bad

When I was 17 years old I had to get glasses my eyesite was pretty bad. I totally hated them. I wore them as little as possible. My boyfriend then, hated the way I looked in them and I felt I didn't get positive feedback from my peers.

After I graduated from High School and moving out of parents house I threw them out. Today I am 32 yrs old and about 5-6 years ago I tried to get contacts. That was a total bust and waste of money, I couldn't get them in or out, or I would get one in & not the other. I basically have got away without seeing that good for the last 13 years.

My boyfriend of 2 years, noticed repeatedly that I was aways squinting and he thought I needed glasses. I told him I know and I hate them. He told me he would love me as much if I would have to wear glasses.

He would ask me over & over did I make an eye doctor appointment. I would shirt the issue. About 4 months ago he made a deal with me, If would go to the eye doctor and get glasses and wear them in the matter he suggested for one month he would take out his white boy dreadlocks ( I hated them).

This something I dreaded for along time but I agreed to do this. He made an appointment with eye doctor and came with me. Well my worst fear happened, the eye doctor told me that I needed glasses and I should wear them all the time except for reading.

I felt very cold in my stomach and all I could think the words " WEAR GLASSES ALL THE TIME" & I was going to be a glasses girl. My boyfriend took me one of one hour places for glasses & by evening I had my glasses. I put them on that night & he told me I looked very sexy in them & I looked beautiful in glasses ( I thought yeah sure).

I resisted for awhile & found every reason why I wasn't wearing them. The prescription was strong & eye doctor did tell us it may take some time to get use to. My boyfriend got mad at me with my excuses & I started to wear them & I guess in about 2 weeks I was wearing my glasses all the time. My friends & fellow workers basically liked the way I looked glasses.

I began to get use to wearing glasses ( couldn't see without them ). I also felt I was treated differently in my glasses like more serious,brainy & sexy. Within one month I began to love wearing my glasses and love the way looked in them and most importantly being able to see.

I couldn't wait to buy new pair of frames. I love wearing glasses and I wear them all the time except when take a shower. I also refuse to take them off when we make love and the sex has been great. I would never get contact or the surgery.

I even think if my vision would be magically 20/20 I still wear glasses. I asked boyfriend this year for xmas to buy new pair of glasses. I am a glasses girl forever.

-glassesgirl