xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Imtay22

Starting A Web Host Where do I start?

Hello everyone! I am thinking about starting a web host, and I have the layout down OK, now I just need the stuff! 1.My main thing I need is a domain searcher. Like at domains.computinghost.com. I want to know what domains are available on the web and what-not. SO can anybody help me with that. 2. I need a secure sub-domain. What and how will I need to make that? Thats what I need.Thanks all for your help!PS. Mods/ Admins if this is not the right forum please move it. I spent 5 minutes looking for the right forum.

You can do a search to see if a domain name exists using a PHP function called gethostbyname(). If it returns an IP address, the host exists. If it returns the name of the host you are searching for, it means that either the site is down, or that the site does not exist. While this does not completely solve your first problem, its the best I can come up with. Perhaps you should search the DNS recrods? I'm sure there is a PHP function that does that. I will search for you and post back. However here is my code I wrote to check for a domain:

<?PHP$hname = "googleaskdfjksldjf.net;;$ip = gethostbyname($hname);print $ip; // Returns the host name, because the site does not exist.print "<br>";$hname = "google.com;;$ip = gethostbyname($hname);print $ip; // Returns the IP address because the site does exist.PHP?>

As for subdomains, its a feature that you can configure with Apache Web Server. As to how to do that, I have no idea. I hope this helps you.

Ok. Thanks i will try that now! I will post back if that does not work.

EDIT- Can you make it so if already exists make it return-

This site already Exists!

And I am also trying to get the data out of a HTML form. How would I do that? This is my File-
https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=BwkjVKfAD8uH8QfckIGgCQ&gws_rd=ssl;;
$ip = gethostbyname($hname);
print $ip; // Returns the IP address because the site does exist.
PHP?>
<form action="doaminsearchnow.php" method="POST">

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ name="domain_name" type="text">

<br />
<br />

<input type="submit" value="Check Availablity">
</form>

Example-wowihadfuntoday.com
</body>
</html> _linenums:0'><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"><html><head><meta content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"><title>Domain Search</title></head><body><?PHP$hname = "$_REQUEST["domain_name"]";$ip = gethostbyname($hname);print $ip; // Returns the host name, because the site does not exist.print "<br>";$hname = "https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=BwkjVKfAD8uH8QfckIGgCQ&gws_rd=ssl;;$ip = gethostbyname($hname);print $ip; // Returns the IP address because the site does exist.PHP?><form action="doaminsearchnow.php" method="POST">http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ name="domain_name" type="text"><br /><br /><input type="submit" value="Check Availablity"></form>Example-wowihadfuntoday.com</body></html>

EDIT AGAIN- Now when A domain gets searched, I want it to say either

If the domain was not yet used-

Or if the domain was in use-

Thanks!
Edited by Imtay22 (see edit history)

<?PHP$hname = "googleaskdfjksldjf.net;;$ip = gethostbyname($hname);print $ip; // Returns the host name, because the site does not exist.print "<br>";$hname = "google.com;;$ip = gethostbyname($hname);if($hname == $ip){print "$ip is not available "; // Returns the IP address because the site does exist.}else{print "$hname is available";}PHP?>

Hopefully this helps you with the first part. To show whether it is available or not.

Here is the second part:

$domain_name = $_POST['domain_name'];

You put this in the script called domainsearchednow.php.

If you need anymore help please inform me either here or via personal message.

Hopefully this was helpful to you. good luck in the business :unsure:

Okay thanks Hitman I will try that now. I will post back with any problems.

Well hopefully I was helpful I will be glad to see and work out on any problems if there occur some more.

Although sometimes it takes me a while to come back to some of the topics in the forums as I am reading hall bunch of topic here on Xisto so you may wait some day or a bit more before I found that you have responded.

If you would like really quick response then just pm me with the topic link. :unsure:

Good luck once again.