xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

[asp Tutorial]basic Info & Download/installation Tutorial For Asp.net 2.0 Tutorial Type:Beginner-Advance

Basic Info & Download/Installation Tutorial for ASP.NET 2.0

Introduction

Well I received a book about programming in ASP 2.0 and was ask to review it after I went through this book. In my success I was able to download and install the software needed in order to get it running on my computer. So those would like to like to learn to program in ASP or refresh your mind. Then this tutorial I am providing will give you some basic information on ASP and install the software needed to get ASP running. Unless you already have a windows base hosting provider, then you wont have to worry about installing it on your machine, but in this case that is what this tutorial will be about.

First lets talk about what ASP language is. ASP is known as Active Server Pages, which means it is a server side programming language that is used to build web based applications. ASP is based off the Microsoft .Net framework and requires a Microsoft based server in order to run it. Such as Windows Server 2000, 2003, 2005 and 2008, and also is need in order to run Microsoft SQL, a database program based on MySQL. Now with all this wonderful software the question is what other languages does ASP support? Simple answer ASP.net supports over 40 known programming languages, which include C#, VB, VB.NET, Jscript, php and XML to name a few.

So what is all the big commotion about ASP? Simply because ASP is unique language and that it can support other languages within the core programming language. Meaning that designing web based applications can become well diversified if you set up ASP to have these various languages. Of course, with having full access to .NET framework, which includes database interaction, email and web services, the in house business applications that can be designed to help run a business are very beneficial as well. Another good thing about ASP is that you dont need to have it connected to an HTML document and so you can thoroughly test out the application without the need to upload it to a hosting server to check to see if there are any errors on it.

Now that you have a somewhat basic idea what ASP.net is, lets get to installing it on your computer, and I would like to point out that to get any news or updates related to ASP then head over to http:http://www.asp.net/ as that is the main source of information and one of the more popular sites as well. Now for the fun part, software components to ASP.net, which there is both paid version and a free version of this software, but why spend all that money when you can install it for free. On a side note, as we go through each component that is needed to install ASP.net on your computer, I recommend that you update/patch the components immediately and that way you can stay current with the software and also protect your computer as well.

Software Requirements .NET Framework 2.0

To start off you need to know the system requirements in order to make sure you meet the minimal requirements to run ASP.net on your computer.

QUOTE from the Book: System Requirements
* Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 98; Windows 98 Second Edition; Windows ME; Windows Server 2003; Windows Vista Business; Windows Vista Business 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Enterprise; Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Home Basic; Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Home Premium; Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Starter; Windows Vista Ultimate; Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition; Windows XP Service Pack 2
o Required Software:
Windows Installer 3.0 (except for Windows 98/ME, which require Windows Installer 2.0 or later). Windows Installer 3.1 or later is recommended.
IE 5.01 or later: You must also be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 or later for all installations of the .NET Framework.
o Disk Space Requirements: 280 MB (x86), 610 MB (x64)

Ok now with that out of the way go ahead and install the .NET software which you can do that with the following link, http://www.asp.net/downloads/essential?tabid=62, and of course choose the language that your computer is based on (i.e. English, German, and French) and also make sure your computer fulfills the above requirements. So after you download and install the framework component, a message will appear to search for any updates or patches, and as mentioned early you might as well say yes and get them installed, because your server will be running once you install the framework on your computer and it will be open to the internet.

.NET Framework 2.0 Software Development Kit (SDK)

The next piece of software that you will be installing is the .NET Framework 2.0 Software Development Kit (SDK), which can be downloaded at this link, http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download. The files that come with this SDK are developer tools, debugger, documents and examples of some ASP scripts. With all this information is a good idea to see what to expect when programming in ASP. Ok we are now installed the SDK and low and behold you done, wasn't that easy? Well not yet, we have comeback to the dreaded update screen but this time we come with another message as well:

To run Visual J# 2005 Tools and Samples, you must have the Visual J# Redistributable Package 2.0 installed. For more information, see the Microsoft Visual J# .NET Developer Center on MSDN.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/bb188593

First let us update the SDK, and while that is downloading go ahead and download the Visual J# files needed, link provided up above.

Visual J# Version 2.0 Redistributable Package

The title should explain it all, but for the beginners this software is used to run Visual J# applications through your .NET. As usual, after installing the software, update accordingly and make sure to read through al the fine print as well.

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition

The next software component to this wonderful world of ASP is the SQL or server database software. Which of course is used to store your information through a series of databases ie: name dates and shopping cart items. Lucky for those who don't want to shell out the several hundred dollars to get SQL software package, Microsoft provides us with a free version of the same thing. This is the full functioning version of this software so there is no need to worry about 30 day trial version or anything like that.

Well now we are in a predicament which version of the expression edition do we choose? Simple go with the basic version and if you feel comfortable enough with coding knock yourself out and download the advanced version. The download page also consists of some SDKs, but since I am following the book, they don't mention downloading any of them, so I won't download them at this time. Also I would like to mention they give you the options to register this so if you want go ahead if not then click no and then download away. I almost forgot the link which is right HERE .

Now let's begin the installation process, and you might get this warning message by clicking a link on the com portion of the installation:

COM Plus Catalog Requirement (Warning)
COM Plus Catalog Requirement

If SQL Server setup fails, setup will roll back the installation but may not remove all manifest files. The workaround is to rename the files and then rerun Setup. For more information, see How to: Work Around COM+ Check Failure in SQL Server Setup.

Ignore it for now as this will not affect your installation, but as a recommendation I would ask to see how this can be fixed. Another reminder that you will come to a authentication screen during this installation and I would recommend going with mix and your own password in so as to double up on the security of your ASP.NET files. Also select both error reports since they can benefit you in the future as you are learning to program in ASP. Well we just got 2 more downloads to go and the hard part is over YEAH!!.

SQL Server Management Studio Express

This software is used for the visual representation of the above software, which is free as well and you can download that by clicking on this link

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download

If I am reading this correctly and I should, this software is used to physically see whats going on your SQL server and what not (smells like another tutorial). So once I know what it is all about you will know deal? Also a small FYI, download the non X64 if you are not running that version of a processor.

Ok now we come in a predicament, well not really unless your running the home version of windows, their are two ways to get your server online which are either installing IIS or Internet Information Services or another program they recommend called Cassini (which you can download Cassini at this line http://www.asp.net/downloads/archived-v11).
Which does the same but easier I guess. Now I will go through both ways but since I don't have my Windows CD with me I will go by the book on setting up the IIS so bare with me on that.

Configure IIS

1. To start this configuration process off, make sure everything is installed and updated, then to configure IIS go to the following location:

Control panel > then add/remove windows components and then select Internet Information Services

The click on next and IIS will be installed, and once the installation is complete do the following:

Start>All Programs > Microsoft .NET Frameworks SDK v2.0>SDK Command Prompt.

2. Type this aspnet_regiis.exe -1 in the command prompt in order to install ASP.NET.

3. Once ASP.NET is installed, close the command prompt and check again to confirm that ASP.NET installed correctly.
To do that just type in aspnet_regiis.exe in a command prompt window and that will confirm everything is running on your computer.

Configure Cassini

Now if you dont want to go through the hassle of running IIS, then go ahead and download Cassini, but there are two things I want to cover and depending on how you do this it will still come out with the same results.

First you must type the following in the command SDK command prompt which you go to by doing this:

Start> All Programs > Microsoft .NET Frameworks SDK v2.0>SDK Command Prompt.

Now what you have to type is simple:

gacutil /i C:\\Cassini\Cassini.dll and then press enter

And Cassini is installed.

Remember those two things I wanted to talk about? Well that second is that you dont have to run this command line again (which is used to open port 80). You can set up a bin folder in your root directory of your server by copying the cassini.dll file in the Cassini folder on your hard drive or wherever you installed and paste it in there. The reason for this, if you do not run the build or place this file into your bin folder, your default port (80) will show an error stating that Cassini cannot run on port 80 due to some other program running it. I haven't gone deep into researching on what this program is. But port 80 has to do with your computer connecting to the internet and like I said if you run the command prompt line you won't have the problem.

Also there is another method of setting up your ASP and that is by setting up a free account through this server that deals with Cassini by clicking this link http://ultidev.com/Download/. This consists of a download to your computer and a simple registration and that's it. Well thats everything; if you have done everything correctly by following this tutorial (I hope), you should now have ASP.NET running on your computer and ready to build applications and other fun stuff.

So to keep things simple all questions/problems you have from this tutorial make sure to be specific. Also any questions you have beyond this tutorial will most likely be covered in future tutorials so try to stay on topic. It's a lot of reading but very useful info, hopefully as people have questions pertaining to this tutorial I will be able to update it accordingly, so make sure to ask specific questions to improve on this tutorial.

So now for some copyright info:

UPDATE After going through some trial and errors, I would recommend that you use IIS as your main server support for running ASP applications. After finding out the difficulty and lack of configurations options Cassini has and the book I am using says so. Author's Notice

Small note any questions you may or might have in the future about this tutorial and related tutorials in the future I will try my best to answer them. However, I do recommend that you go to Microsoft's, asp.net, or any other site that talks about ASP.NET.

Since I am a beginner at ASP.NET as I can't provide you the best of information, but I will try to provide you the best sources as to find out more or to answer your questions and as such these websites can provide more accurate information then I can at this time. Make sure before you download anything that you check and read system requirements for all downloads, because your system maybe incompatible with this software since there are 2 versions x86 and x64. As such I am not responsible for any damages this may cause to your system if you install, uninstall or alter any files on your system when working with ASP.NET 2.0.

This tutorial is copyright by MRA aka Saint-Michael 2007. Maybe redistributed as long as this warning and copyright information remains intact and that you provide the original link to its source.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

Dang, i just uninstalled MS SQL Server and a bunch of other stuff that might have been required to check this out... I think I will stick with php for now simply because I already have the XAMPP Package installed...