xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Set Up A Hosting Service With Asp Based On Trap17 Protocols

Well after receiving a free book for ASP.net 2.0 and of course looking around for some decent ASP hosting (so far found 350MB site), I was thinking that why don't you set up a windows server hosting based on the Xisto protocols and so those that are interested in ASP programming they can get the same great hosting from xisto. Yeah you can pretty much guess I need some ASP hosting to try this book out (this group wants me to review it) and too cheap to pay for hosting :unsure:, but I thought I would throw out the suggestion and what not.

ASP? Hey, what's with the windows heresy? :unsure: Actually, I second that idea. - even if it's not exactly feasible because a bunch of us could use some practice with the giant's many, many specific technologies besides ASP. - Btw there St. Michael, there is an Apache package for ASP features if you're willing to play around with perl a little.

Yeah I did notice they had packages for ASP, like ajax and php, I would assume that in order to get them working you would need to have these packs installed in order to run them properly.

Which package do you mean?Chiliasp - now called SunASP as it was brought by Sun Microsystems it can only be ran on certain operating systems.Modmono - only provides aspx support and is still in beta.Other than that i do not know of any other packages

Which package do you mean?

@CrazyRob: I mean the Apache:ASP package. You can find it by a simple "apache"+"asp" search on google. :unsure:I know mono's geared for .NET stuff, but I never knew that it handled ASP too. Seems strange that two apache projects are working on a bit of the same thing.

would assume that in order to get them working you would need to have these packs installed in order to run them properly.

@Saint_Michael: Yeah, 'tis true. It does take a little time to get it all done properly from what I've heard.(I have no need for ASP, but according to certain developers...)
-At least that's the case on Linux. There's binaries for Windows if I'm right, but I haven't played around with Apache on that thing.

Addition to the suggestions: Instead of taking the time or resources to make a windows server, one could emulate its services.
I think mod_mono and Apache:ASP would be perfect for it. Mod_mono's being updated all the time - they're working on a Silverlight implementation right now,
so there's no worry about new services being emulated. Besides, with everything else one could use wine. :( And after all, we could brag about offering
windows server features without buying Microsoft's products. It wouldn't cost any money and (hopefully) wouldn't take too much time to get working properly.

oh Apache:ASP... From what ive heard its not that good never installed it myself but hey Yeh mono can do aspx ( or well that's what it says it can do in WHM lol)

I think the reason OpaQue wouldn't want ASP support, especially, on gamma is because of "practice" usage. Gamma is already THE place to practice PHP and database...add ASP to it and I'm wondering the reliability of server function.

Another reason ASP should be installed on Windows OS system is that ASP is Microsoft's proprietary language (as we all know) and never licensed full 100% compatibility for any other OS systems. To monitor this on Apache server would mean another server monitoring support. And I'm kinda bothered by this statement

Apache::ASP provides an Active Server Pages port to the Apache Web Server with Perl scripting only, and enables developing of dynamic web applications with session management and embedded Perl code.

I think Apache ASP is still limited and has a long road before it can be a full ASP support on Apache.

Well thats I would think that setting up another separate sever for ASP would be my plausible then trying to install ASP into apache and create problems for everyone else. Maybe trying to graft ASP from a seperate windows server could be an idea, with safety protocals that when or if windows server goes down or hacked it won't affect the original account and send it into disable mode.