xisto Community
Private_joy

Does This Sound Like A Virus? computer meltdown

Hiyou've probably been asked this about 50 million times, but i'm gonna ask!i bought a computer off my dads friends and when i got it it started getting windows boxes up saying that the computer was at risk. they popped up continuously at 2 min intervals. This then stopped. i have my ntl firewall and security check this used to pop up when starting up but it doesn't do it any more. Its then started to connect its self to the internet to a web page that just has 21600 on it. if u shut it down it may pop up again later. At the weekend its starting to loose connectivity to the internet and i've checked with my provider and there is no problem. its also started to freeze when you pick a user.....Should i just wipe the whole thing and reload windows???Please Help!Sally :unsure:

Well before you do that download Spybot Here after you install spybot run the update for it and then check for problems, odds are you will pick up some good stuff from spy bot. Then go ahead and run the program and then anything that shows up red is a virus, trojan or whatever make sure they are selected (they are by default) then click on the fix button and your set. Then defrag your computer and tdo a disk clean as well. After all that restart your computer and the computer should be a bit better. Also I recommend downloading a registry cleaner program there are some ok free ones and then run that program to clean up your registry of any errors and what not.

Hopefully through this mess it should fix your problems since I doubt your friend did any maintenance, also I would suggest getting Mcafee security center since it has everything that I just mention, simple to use and run. Also another little program called PC Surgeon (Trial version still good) which does a lot more cleaning up a computer. Now if you still having problems after all this then go for the reload and then that would fix all your problems.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

I think that some firewalls only block new viruses, and not old ones. I have noticed that with my firewall. But since you just got the computer, and have no files you really want, I think you should save your self some time, and format the hard drive and re-install windows. I have found that it is the easier option. Just burn the files you want to CD, if you already have files on the computer that you want. Although, if it has programs you want on it, then I would try and get rid of the spy ware, and viruses.

thing is tho i had a laptop b4 and i used a 160 gig external hard drive, i just put this in the computer replacing a 20 gig! its full of music and pictures (H:) its not likely to be on there is it?? if so i'll just copy the pictures to disk and let the music go....a friend has just said try adaware and spybot.... i'll copy them to disk and try them without connecting to the internet... i also tried to upload the windows disk again as i don't seem to have java installed, it won't let me install from the site either as it says it cannot find an orginal... wot does that mean?? ( i also have to check whether i have the 2nd disk installed??)Thanx for the replies :unsure:

so i restored the computer back to February, it brought my NTL virus machine back online, i ran a virus check found 2 trojens, i ran a spy ware it found 2 viruses and i defragged.it was then 1 in the morning. i will run an outside anti virus and hopefully that will be the end of it (fingers crossed).

I would have thought you would have found more than that. One time, I found something like 80 viruses on my computer. My brother uses Linux for this reason, he cant be bothered wasting so much time with all the viruses you get on Windows. I do not have problems with viruses anymore since I installed this firewall. I use Zonealarm pro, and it has been good for me. I hope you've solved the problem.

Firewall and Antivirus are ,,must have ,, for Windows OS .For your problem install Norton Antivirus /if you have speed Internet....update is about 14-20MB / or NOD 32 /diall up Internet/ ,disable Windows firewall and install McAfee firawall or Sygate /my choice/ .Install

Spy Bot and AdAware to clean system from other spyware programs .Go to Control Panel /System and disable Windows Update ,go to Control Panel/Security Centar and click Change the way.... ,disable all Alert settings(reason for,, windows boxes up saying that the computer was at risk,, Win just dont see Other Antivirus or Firewall Software )

@Carson: Actually, that's the reason I switched over to linux back in the day. Too many viruses indeed.If you're still trying to play around with firewalls or anitvirus systems, don't forget the free ones, some of them are actually good, such as Avast antivirus and SensiveGuard.The former updates nearly daily. Check it out sometime.

Pfffft its died! it doesn't seem to delete them just replicates and then it seemed to be fixed. then when you went on a web page it would not let you put anything in the log in boxes etc, i went on it yesterday and it won't even load anymore..... i have 2 firewalls the windows one and the NTL one. I'm gonna have to wipe the lot and then buy a new firewall and virus checker.. i ran mc afee and it didn't even pick them up...w32/c: 1041 - its something like that....Cryin :unsure:looking on the internet wiping the hard drive can't help me, gutted only had the computer 4 months.

Edited by Private_joy (see edit history)

w32/c: 1041 - its something like that....w32/c: 1041 - for sure is virus ---FIREWALLS ARE HERE TO BLOCK HACKERS NOT VIRUSES REMEMBER!!! For your problem only one sollution :Your are for sure novice and you must uninstall both firewallsand Antivirus you have ,then install Solo Antivirus and Nod32 Antivirus .Set both anriviruses in settings to delete viruses an scan all filles -then restart.Try to update both Antiviruses If Nod32 repport w32/c: 1041 after 2 restarts your Win is damaged badly ,usualy some new w32/-familly viruses block internet. After all ,if you have virus again please restart with Win Install CD ,choose install and then formatall hard disks and Install new Windows . For Internet use Opera or Mozilla ,Internet Explorer is not ,,happy ,, sollution

Edited by nocom (see edit history)

so in safe mode it won't let me do anything with the firewalls or virus checkers! pffft it won't connect to the internet... i have the stuff to start over on the disks but no recovery disk i need help, The virus that i have is Agent BVH??? gonna go looking now to see what info i can find out....W32/Agent.BVH C:/cp1041.nls All the support pages are not in english! and i think that the disk drives are no longer working either... i should just stop turning it on until i know what i am doing shouldn't i. it seems to get worse everytime i do it.So yesterday i deleted programs that i did not need, msn, messenger etc. i turned off the automatic updates, tried to turn off of the firewalls, hopefully someone will come save me!If i transfer the pics off my harddrive to an external hard drive i'm just going to corrupt that one too aren't i???

Edited by Private_joy (see edit history)

It should be a trojan horse, because if you have good av program, a virus on its own shouldn't get through, so you (or someone else) installed a program which had the trojan in it, use NOD32 for AV with bitdefender, windows firewall, and spybot S&D a very good combination

THE BEST SOLUTION:FIRST DOWNLOAD SPYBOT as Saint said:then1> Go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/; Search : Firewalls3> Filter: License Free(change it to Free)4> now click filter !5> go to arrange according to *user* ratings.6> Read their posts and download the best !7> there were 2 i loved using Filseclab (as it shows live network graph) and NET VEDA !! Also get Avast its quite memory consuming but an AWESOME FREE ANTI VIRUS software !Do a registry check(search in Download.com) and a defragmenter using Auslogics(search in download.com).ENJOYScan :unsure: