xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
-[Nero]-

Chemistry Question. Pls Help Me.

The reason potassium and oxygen rarely form K2O is beacuse for that reaction to occur you need to react potassium with a very limited supply of pure oxygen gas. It is incredibly reactive and dangerous, frequently reacting on contact with moisture in the air, causing a violent reaction forming potassium hydroxide. It is quite a nasty chemical and the only real use, as far as I am aware, is for removing any gases left in a vessel when trying to create a vacuum.

KO2 is even rarer, formed by reacting liquid (molten) potassium in pure oxygen. It's generally used as an oxidising chemical in industry, but is also used by space agencies for various functions.

Nitrous oxide acts as a dissociative drug - it prevents signals moving to and from different parts of the brain. You generally lose your senses and any idea of what is going on around you. The name laughing gas comes from the fact that people generally feel happy while inhaling it. Very few people burst into fits of laughter - if they did, dentists' surgeries would be far happier places.

The reason potassium and oxygen rarely form K2O is beacuse for that reaction to occur you need to react potassium with a very limited supply of pure oxygen gas. It is incredibly reactive and dangerous, frequently reacting on contact with moisture in the air, causing a violent reaction forming potassium hydroxide. It is quite a nasty chemical and the only real use, as far as I am aware, is for removing any gases left in a vessel when trying to create a vacuum.

KO2 is even rarer, formed by reacting liquid (molten) potassium in pure oxygen. It's generally used as an oxidising chemical in industry, but is also used by space agencies for various functions.

Nitrous oxide acts as a dissociative drug - it prevents signals moving to and from different parts of the brain. You generally lose your senses and any idea of what is going on around you. The name laughing gas comes from the fact that people generally feel happy while inhaling it. Very few people burst into fits of laughter - if they did, dentists' surgeries would be far happier places.

I have burst into fits of laughter before. I don't know why but my dentist calls it happy gas. :unsure:

It is also known as laughing gas. Or at least in the literature I read it is commonly reffered like that.Also I think that it does not affect the nerve system as it rather changes the density of the gases in our throut so when we speak we produce high pitch sounds as density is less. Or something similar. Once I tried to produce it in the labaratory and inhalated it but it did not affect me at all.

It is also known as laughing gas. Or at least in the literature I read it is commonly reffered like that.

Also I think that it does not affect the nerve system as it rather changes the density of the gases in our throut so when we speak we produce high pitch sounds as density is less. Or something similar. Once I tried to produce it in the labaratory and inhalated it but it did not affect me at all.

Are u sure u produced the correct product? maybe u created nitrogen monoxide or nitrogen dioxide. But i'm quite confused with the formation of Nitrous Oxide, how does nitrogen and oxygen electronic configuration give it's N2O structural formula?

The reason K2O is stable is because of the O2- superoxide's preferential in the conditions, thus causing a stronger bond then ordinary oxygen. The superoxide is similar in idea to ozone, since the excess of oxygen causes various bond shifts to form the most stable product. Usually this is due to charge ratios: but here, the oxygen's high electronegativity means that the 2- on oxygen is more stable than a 2+ on potassium

This is again similar to nitrous oxide, which doesn't exist as a single molecule, but instead is regarded as a mixture of di-atomic nitrogen and one oxygen covalently bonded, or an oxygen ion bonded to a positive diatomic nitrogen (see the diagrams on wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide)
(And if your wondering, nitrogen is absorbed into the blood stream when inhaled and acts in a similar way to alcohol on the brain)