xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
AnkitGoswami

A Breakthrough For Open-source Indian schools opt for Linux over windows

Schools in Kerala, India are adopting Linux for teaching computers instead of windows. This could be a great step forward for the open source community. If people grow up using linux who would want to buy windows?
India is shaping up to be a key battleground in the global assault of Linux:

Two years ago, New Delhi said the best way to improve computer literacy in India was to adopt open source software in schools. Although Kerala is the first to introduce such a program statewide, 18 of India's 28 states either are using Linux or have pilot projects for its use in various government departments and schools. The education ministries in most states, and in Delhi the federal ministries of defense, transport, communication, and health, are all using the software on server computers. And eight state governments have put their treasury operations on Linux, while the western state of Maharashtra is using it to revamp health-care systems. India ``is one of the key countries I have been focused on,'' says Scott Handy, IBM's (IBM) global Linux boss. ``India has been a star.''

and you'll love this:

``We're using something called Linux,'' says 12-year-old Arya VM as she plays with Tux Paint, a Linux drawing and painting application. And Windows? ``Never heard of it,'' she says.

I have never used linux, nor do I wish to. Since I have always used Windows, I fell no need to switch over. And I am not one of those people who have had major problems with Windows so I am fine with it. But, I believe it is good for people who have never used any computer OS in their life to use something different, so they won't be accustomed to something that most refer to as "below average"

Windows is costly for the poor and illiterate. That is the only reason countries like India should adopt linux massively.

well.. here in PHilippines windows Vista only cost 3 dollars hahahah.. its piracy... everything here is pirated.. so the choice really is not about cost but about being user friendly and which OS has tons of Software application that is usefull in our daily life and I think we all know thich software is that. Windows. Until UNix learn how to provide such kind of service to its user Windows will always be the OS for most of us and Unix will be for servers.

Hopefully more people do get a linux computer. With everyone with windows gets abit boring with no competition. Almost like every computer is the same. But this thing would probably stop as soon Windows here about it, they would probably send them free computers to earse their memory of linux.

yeah thats great idea to use linux to learn computers than Windows which is a DUMB operating system. We are not able to swith easily to Linux becase we are used to Windows from the childhood . But the current generation of they use such Linux in their learning stage itself thy will feel comfortable with it and they will use something which is not so DUMB..

I'm not going to lie this is awesome. If kids grow up learning at an early age that linux is the best, then it will be the best thing in their lives and know that windows is to easy to hack. They will learn the fundmentals of linux and the freedom to share their work with others in the world along with any other person.