xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Laurie

Commitment To More Activity - I'm A Mouse Potato

I find myself sitting at the computer for long periods of time without even moving from my chair. I make a commitment to stand at least one time an hour while I am here. It may not seem like much but it will make a big difference in the amount of activity I have in my life. What do you make a commitment to?

Lately, I have been "rewarding" myself with Computer time in order to (firstly) get more active and (secondly) better appreciate the time I do spend on the Computer. During the Winter months, when my job/work is slower than the Summer months, I spend far too much time on the Computer as witnessed by the number of posts, etc. And now that the weather is better, I don't sit at the computer for long periods. I go do something and then "allow" myself some Computer time. Since I have a shop, I will go do something there when I get home from work before I turn on the machine, and then after Supper, I do some more shop work before checking the emails and Forum stuff. I find I have a better appreciation of the Forum activity when I limit it this way.

Every half an hour i spend on my computer, i go out and have a small game of wall tennis , with my table tennis bat Yeah, i go and play tennis with my tt bat with wall as my opponent. it has really helped me to get some relaxation. What i used to do before was , for every 45 minutes or so, i would go and get myself a vup of coffee or something to eat. Not a healthy option, you see..Anyways, current getaway kinda routine playing wall tennis has been good so far !!

Well my commitment to stand up was kinda mushy the last few days. In fact, I had forgotten that I had made it. Thanks for the reminder. I have also added walking around the block at least once every other day. I have kinda fallen short of that as well but at least I have gotten a few trips in and today is another day. I guess that every little bit I do does make a difference.

Try getting intrestd in a sport or go shopping, or do something with your friends. Or like jlh said reward yourself with computer time with a ration of like for evrey hour you spend doing something, you get 20 minutes of computer time. It works for me.
Some good sports you can try are but not limited to:
Tennis
Golf
Running
Swimming
Aerobics
Yoga
OR just get a membership to your local ymca.