xisto Community
Mafian

Favorite Os? What is your Favorite Operating system

Well, it has to be Windows since every application you would need is supported on it. But I also have Ubuntu, it's great and all but the application support for the Linux platform isn't that good when you've been a long time Windows user. If they port all the Macromedia/Adobe products (well, the most popular ones anyway) and do something with Steam then I'll be happy (and quite possibly use Ubuntu as my main OS).I chose Ubuntu because it basically supported my hardware out of the box, I didn't need to configure anything at all and it's a really great distribution for people new to Linux.And yeah mate, go for it. If your not a major gamer then you might not like it (since WINE and Cedega make them slower, buggier etc). If you run into any problems then you can use UbuntuForums.org, LinuxQuestions.org and so on. :XD:

Edited by JohnM (see edit history)

hey guys, ive been using windows xp and ubuntu 7.04 dual-boot, and i love ubuntu just for the fact of its structure, and how easy it is to set up applications, i also like windows due to all of the compatability.

Personally, I'm using Windows XP SP2 and on some off times, I fool around with Kubuntu.I used to praise that Windows 98SE was the best, most stable OS that we had in the Windows world. I never looked at Linux and am still shy of learning a new OS. However, I jumped into XP and the leap wasn't quite that bad. Being hesitant to upgrade to SP2 at first, I am now one of many users that find XP SP2 as the new stable, most compatible Windows OS out there.There are a ton of Linux distributions out there, appealing to many, many tastes. The problem is hardware support. I run two laptops and sometimes Linux doesn't recognize the hardware I do have... which lead to experimenting with sUSE 10 a dead issue after hours and hours of trying to use ndiswrapper to get my wireless networking up and running... and failing. I jumped to FreeSpire because I liked the eye candy, but again I couldn't get it to recognize some of my hardware, notably the fact that I had it on a tablet PC and not being able to use it as a tablet anymore. I'm running Kubuntu now and just for eye candy and experimentation with Linux, which supports all of my hardware and even Beryl, which is a fun way to tell Vista "In your face!" :P I hear a lot of great stuff about the Ubuntu distributions, and I can safely support them as one of the better Linus OSs that you can use.So, in a nutshell, the "best" OSs would have to be Windows XP SP2, Kubuntu 7.04, and Windows 98SE.But that's what worked for me. This topic is rather subjective. :D