xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
galexcd

Check Who An Ip Is

Ok, I've seen a few sites, like wikipedia, that when i go to a public IP such as an airport, internet cafe, or even school, it can tell what it is. Wikipedia says somthing along the lines of, "this is a public IP [name of place] you have to log in, to edit the pages because of vandalism" or somthing like that. I was wondering, how can I get my site to get that information on a certain IP address. And check if it's a group IP or not.Thanks

The php manual discusses the $_SERVER super Global Array Here: http://ca.php.net/reserved.variables.

'REMOTE_ADDR' The IP address from which the user is viewing the current page.
'REMOTE_HOST'
The Host name from which the user is viewing the current page. The reverse dns lookup is based off the REMOTE_ADDR of the user.

Probably they use this information to identify the Remote connection information. All they would need to do is a Reverse DNS Lookup using NIC.com or a similar service to tell them what the client's Host is and how it is configured.

Try to look into WHOIS protocol... You can implement it in php, and use one of five global whois servers, to get the registered IP owner information... This ofcourse can sometimes yield data that is incorrect, but I guess that for such big instalations, like airports and public areas, IP owner information will be correct...

I will soon put up a whois search on my own website, to make searching these 5 servers more accessible, since most users can't find these servers easily... Address will most likely be http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ ... Just check my main site for more news on that...

Well there is no problem with finding out who is some ip if he or she is connecting from some larger place which has its own ip registered but if he is connecting from their home then you might have problem because firstly they have probably dynamic ip address and in the most cases you would just detect external ip address of their internet service provider.

Also there are a lot of scripts about this in the forums already you might want to use search function.

If you want to check ips you can use these web sites or just type in the google yourself

google search results