xisto Community
blackrabit

Blu-ray News and considerations about this new technology

I think that Blu-Ray is not going to last. For those of you that remember Beta-Max, it was the same thing as this, but on VHS. It had a horrible loss. Some movie developers began making Blu-Ray discs, but they have halted that due to them not selling. I know my Best Buy and Wal-Mart have opted not to sell them because they are losing money. Nobody is going to pay 600+ for a format that will die soon and all it has to offer is PS3. :)

Here it is, the new BLU-RAY disc, the next generation of optical media that should replace DVD's on the market. Some movies are already being sold at DVD and BLU-RAY format, although prices here in Europe still are around 300 to 500 for a table BLUE-RAY reader, more or less the same a DVD player costed when it arrived at the market. Some laptops are coming with BLUE-RAY too although they cost around the same amount.

I would like to hear your opinion about this new technology and for those who don't know it yet here I post a link for your information:

BLU-RAY on Wikipedia

You can read the following post to know more abt this HD_DVD and Blue RAy code hacking:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Hmmmm...The thing about the Blue Ray is that there is still some time before it gets popular and cost friendly. I dont doubt that Blue Rays are gonna be popular but they wont be popular with common people, more like people who need to transfer a lot of data at one shot.I would still use DVD's though and it has a lot of space so I guess one Blue Ray would be sufficient :D What I think is that a Blue Ray and a DVD will both survive and it will take a heck lot of time before they get popular.

Blue-Ray discs require a blue laser to get the info....A red laser beam is too large to read the pits and convert them into usable data...Blue lasers have tighter, smaller beams and wavelengths so that's also why they can pack more data onto the same sized disc....Now the older DVD that use the red laser, their pits are large enough for the Blue-Ray laser to read them too....So a Blue Ray can read both, but an older DVD player can only do the older DVD because they use a Red laser in them.

well, for me its not as if i have jumped on the blue ray bandwagon, but i do have a ps3 so i wouldnt mind it too much if blue ray won out in the end :) At any rate i am interested to see where this battle is headed. oh and thanks for that description nirmaldaniel very basic, yet very effective

I, myself have a PS3, so if I ever have the need for Blue-Ray, there's another use for my 600GB PS3! :P (Too bad I can't use that 600GB and add that on to my 400 GB Computer, for a grand total of 1 Terabyte :D)The problem is, Blue Ray is kinda expensive though. Many people will not want to pay that kind of a price for one disk. And the system itself costs more than a 600GB PS3, so.. :) Hey, since sinthetix brought it up, I will probably still use some of the old stuff, like VHS Tapes and Records as well as Cassette Tapes and Floppy Disks(3 1/2 and 5 1/2 inch). :D Also, thanks for that Wiki and Blog article. I never really knew that much about Blue-Ray, just what was in the PS3 Box. B)

Edited by kab012345 (see edit history)

I don't think the DVD will last much longer, but I'm going to use the DVD as long as I can since the Blu-Ray appears to be the better disc. I just don't feel like paying the extra money for the Blu-Ray.

blu ray is more advanced than DVD....but we need a blue laser to read...