xisto Community
vipul20044

Job Vs Studies To study or to work?

Atleast in the country where i hail from that is India, i can say this without a shadow of doubt that here studies have become more of a minimum Qualification rather than doing something specialTO take an example, people all over the world prefer to do an MBA at a later stage of life when they have an experience enough to boost their managerial skills.But here it is like, MBA has been downtrodden to a minimum Qualification as in, once you are done with Graduation, you will have to go for an MBA or else you will be left lurking with low salary and an average job.True to it, that an experience can never be compared with anything because being practical counts more than bookish knowledgeBut i often find myself in this fix that what shall i do?Shall i go for a job as of now or shall i go for further studiesAnd to this date i didn't find an answer

I'm in the US....I graduated high school a year ago, I haven't gone to college yet. Things are going okay for me, but it'd probably look better on a resume if I had more qualifications. But right now my job is more important to me. I just really need the money.Guess it's a personal thing here.

After being considered disabled due to being bipolar I found myself in the situation that my income did not depend on what I chose to do with my time. So now what? If money didn't matter, what would you spend your time doing? I did get my Bachelors Degree in Business from AIU Online. Now I spend my time at the computer. I intend to become more physically active since it is now spring and easier to want to be outside. Somedays I just dont do much of anything and others I am driven to improve myself and my lifestyle. But what would be an improvement? I am not choosing between job or studies because now I am guided by more of thinking of what will benefit me towards achieving what I want. I am stuck at the point of having to define what it is that I want. Until I do, I will just spend my time at whatever appeals to me at the moment.

Here in the U.S., four-year (Bachelor's) degrees seem to be losing their value. The phrase "advanced degree" seems to be coming up in more job descriptions/ads/et cetera. I've basically resigned myself to *having* to pursue a Master's (if not a stinkin' Doctorate) just to make sure that I'm not "under-educated."IMO, this society (can't speak for other societies/cultures as I've never been part of them) values the piece of paper too much. I understand the need to have qualifications to do certain jobs, yeah. I wouldn't want an 18-year-old with a high school diploma trying to perform brain surgery or anything like that. But honestly, I think that life experience should count for a bit more than it currently does. Formal education is important, but it's not the *only* valuable asset that we working stiffs have to offer ;)

Studies are esstential I think, I'd say its a lot more important that earning a bit of money but the important think to remember is, if you didn't study then you probably wouldn't be able to get a decent job. I like to think of it this way: the more you study, the more money you can make :)Saying that, Im going to study in college in September and I just got a job, did my first day today :) but this is the holidays so I guess that sort of makes it ok. Though I made sure that my working hours would flex around my college hours, I put college before the job and luckily Halfords agreed :)

I strongly feel that these days school can be a benefit only if you are in a certain field. For example, engineering and medical studies are important if you want to get into that field. Other fields, such as business, are largely self taught and come from work experience. Just look at Michael Dell, and the others who followed. Therefore, I believe it strongly depends on where you want to take your career and life.I read that Bill Nye started off as a mechanical engineer and began his entertainment career at the same time. Engineer by day, tv guy by night. That takes some dedication.

I strongly feel that these days school can be a benefit only if you are in a certain field. For example, engineering and medical studies are important if you want to get into that field. Other fields, such as business, are largely self taught and come from work experience. Just look at Michael Dell, and the others who followed. Therefore, I believe it strongly depends on where you want to take your career and life.
I read that Bill Nye started off as a mechanical engineer and began his entertainment career at the same time. Engineer by day, tv guy by night. That takes some dedication.

yah thats right. study is important but you need skils to perform better. i dont think someone dumbass with a phd will ever succeed on their field. you need your education and your skills. you need to know a lot about what you do and what you love to do.

im not looking for a phd. i would go for a 3 year polytechnic degree and get down my *bottom* on work which i like to do.

I think that eventhough globalization is wokring its thing preety good right now, there still are differences between countries and it is very intersting to hear that the situation in India as the first poster described it, is exatcly the same as here in my country - Slovenia, Europe. We also have the very same problem which makes it ncessary that you have an MBA college or something similar to have a great job plus there is also a problem with social sciencies, for which there are hardly any jobs left here and it is very hard to get employed. Well as for the question Job vs. Studies: hm, I think that some of both...you should work, you should get practical experiences but you should never ever quit college for that reason - it is just stupid, because you probably do not think at working in that part-time firm till the rest of your life - think of these part-time jobs as sort of experiences you need in order to get a real job one day when you do actualy finish the college!In United States as one of the posters mentioned, it is easier to get a descent job as far as i know - there are many more opportunities and if you are good, companies there will make use of you.. Am I right or is this just another wide-spread crap?Best whises to you all..

Atleast in the country where i hail from that is India, i can say this without a shadow of doubt that here studies have become more of a minimum Qualification rather than doing something specialTO take an example, people all over the world prefer to do an MBA at a later stage of life when they have an experience enough to boost their managerial skills.
But here it is like, MBA has been downtrodden to a minimum Qualification as in, once you are done with Graduation, you will have to go for an MBA or else you will be left lurking with low salary and an average job.

True to it, that an experience can never be compared with anything because being practical counts more than bookish knowledge

But i often find myself in this fix that what shall i do?
Shall i go for a job as of now or shall i go for further studies

And to this date i didn't find an answer

If your sole interest is to get a better job,better career growth option,then higher education will surely help.because sooner r later it ll pay off. Higher education will put you in you better position to market yourself...But sometimes irrelevant higher education may be simply a waste of time..It ll give you a good head start....
Nevertheless higher education is always bookish and ve a little similarity to real world situations unless you want to be a research scientist..So, practical experince ll count much more if you want to be in fields like sales,marketing..
If you want to money early you may jump to a job,but you ve to prove yourself there in order to get a head start....

Hi!I am a university student and a worker...well the first thing is that my situation is not simple...It's really very difficult for me study and work at the same time.I cannot go to university lessons because are at the same time of my work... :) and you can comprehend that only going to lessons some exam are possibly....but the question is at this time is better working or studing^???

I think working is better. I've been studying for the past fourteen years of my life and I still have three more years to go before I can get a proper job. I decide to get a job first after I've gotten my diploma and then continue to get a bachelor degree after a few years of working. That way, my parents don't even need to pay my school fees anymore. Being independent is great :o

Edited by ochibichan (see edit history)

I have the impression that people here gives more importance to your practical experience.. studies are sort of "secondary"... I can understand this as they want someone that can start being prodcutive from the first month and also have proven abilities.. I would advice you to hold on for a while before deciding to go for an MBA, maybe your company will be keen to pay for it (or at least part of it) once you demonstrate your skills..

Atleast in the country where i hail from that is India, i can say this without a shadow of doubt that here studies have become more of a minimum Qualification rather than doing something specialTO take an example, people all over the world prefer to do an MBA at a later stage of life when they have an experience enough to boost their managerial skills.
But here it is like, MBA has been downtrodden to a minimum Qualification as in, once you are done with Graduation, you will have to go for an MBA or else you will be left lurking with low salary and an average job.

True to it, that an experience can never be compared with anything because being practical counts more than bookish knowledge

But i often find myself in this fix that what shall i do?
Shall i go for a job as of now or shall i go for further studies

And to this date i didn't find an answer

i feel more important question for you is what do you want?you have to be very specific about what YOU want not what OTHERS intend to do or doing or ask you to do or expect you to do or ...always try to have long term plan and be focus on what YOU want.see what you are good at.secondly, go to business that you are sure you will earn MONEY form there.so 1-understand YOURSELF 2- focus focus focus try try try try ....

Being good at what you do is best, if you have a job that you honor you probably spend time doing research and planning, that's studying :) If you are at school getting a bachelor's degree try and get an internship job, they are very valued and if you are taking subjects wich has to do with your work routine, you can bring your expertise to the classroom, some students know more about a subject than some teachers, it happened at my telephony class, a student trapped one of my teachers with a question about NGN telephony centrals and the teacher was rather outdated on the subject hehe :) And theyre mostly part time.Studying is essential to be on top of your game, a doctor had to study new drugs and techniques, so he can diagnose better and effectively cure some patients, same thing with programming languages and frameworks, there's always new stuff coming up that gets the job done faster and better and you have to study them to get on with things.