xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
moblati461

Xbox Live Support Horrible service in my experiance

Recently I bought an xbox (The original one not the 360) and a Xbox Live 12-Month Subscription card, I plugged in the xbox and turned it on. Once it started up I went to the xbox live button and tryed to set up a new account, When I did I got a DNS failed error. Seeing this I called xbox live support which started with a machine, I listened to the steps it gave me and none worked so I was set on hold for a short while until an agent was available. When I did get to talk to someone they first lead me through the same steps the machine told me to do which started to piss me off, We did a few other things which opening up a few ports and manually setting up the ip address the box connects to. Nothing was working, After about 1 and 1/2 of troubleshooting he asked what kind of router I had. I told him and he said that it was an incompatible router and that there was nothing he could do, He suggested I call my ISP and ask for new router. So then I called qwest and they said a new router would cost $70 bucks, I didnt want to buy a new one since my current one was working fine for internet. So I called xbox live support back and asked if I could get a refund on my purchase of the subscription card, He said that he couldnt do that and said the only thing I could do was to get a compatible router. After all that time spent thats the response I got, The guys were trying there best and were nice but there product didnt work for me. I should get a refund. :lol: :lol:

did you try resetting everything...? i had the same problem, unplug EVERYTHING computer related for 5-10 mins then re connect it net first, then router then xbox to router should work if not then they were right, but i dont know how it wouldn't work seems fishy :lol:also i agree, you should get a refund but then again, see it from there point of view, they dont know what is going on you could be lieing for all they know and if they went around doing that all the time think of the money issues *not like gates needs it* but still. Also i think that they should have a warning to what it is compadable with.*forgive my mis-spells I'm vary tired*

Well the router should not have anything to do with it not connecting to xbox live, you will still beable to connect it would just be really slow if it was your router. Since its a DNS error here is what i would try.First find out with DNS address for both the regular and alternative. Then we you do the troubleshooter go to network options. Click on the DNS settings and choose to enter it in manually. Use the DNS address that you find your computer uses and enter the address in manually. Then make sure you choose to try and connect. This same thing happened to me and this is what i did and its work fine every since. If you have trouble finding your DNS, use your default router gateway ip address for it. You can find your gateway ip adress by going to CMD and typing in ipconfig.I hope this helps if you need me to explain it more i can just let me know, i hope everything works out.

Yea thats something they had me try, I worked once when I tryed to connect but then didnt work again. The guy on the phone said this will happen, It will occasionally work but wont consistently. I try it again to see if anything has changed.

I see why your made, but XBOX cannot do anything that they have not tried to do. They cannot give you a refund because it was your fault, actually you didn't know, but your router was incompatible. THings like this happen, and you just have to try and by a router, since you have no other option otherwise. Sure it may be unfari, but they cannot give you a refund because it is opened and used up and they will not just let you return it like that. So buy a new router, and try and make it work otherwise you'll defintley be stuck with something that doesn't wokr.

I find the Xbox Live support very good and helpful. But there are some things the people that work their don't know and they tell you to do things that you shouldn't really have to or need to do. But I understand why you would be mad about the router issue you had becuase if you have to buy a new $70 router to make it work it's not that convent.

Yeah well if you have tried the steps that i provided and still didnt get a response then your going to need a new router. Although i have had 2 supposely non compatible routers used on xbox live and they have worked they just acted slow on making games and joining games, i never had any problem connecting. Your case maybe different though i would just recommend going out and buying a cheap upgrade, i have bought routers for as cheap as $50 so its really not bad if you want to play xbox live.