xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
masugidsk8r

Scripting Help On Ajax Shoutbox

HI, I'm currently working on an AJAX web app. It's a shoutbox. I have here attached the .js file fully documented so it's easy to understand.

Problem: An error message alert occurs in IE 6
Help: I need someone who can fix a code so that the error won't show up in IE.

Note: I've tested it under Firefox and Opera and it works very well.

Here's the code:

/** * ezShout - AJAX/PHP ShoutBox * by Albert Villaroman *  * For help and tutorials on usage, please refer to manual *  * Note: Due to JS lack of standard OOP conventions, treat "Shoutbox Class" comment as a class constructor,  * and all states and methods encapsulated in it are properties of the class **///-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------// Shoutbox Class//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------	/**	 * Pre: Sates	 */		var RecieverAj;			//AJAX object that makes requests to server for shouts	var SenderAj;			//AJAX object that sends shout out to server and store it in database	var refresh_sb;			//JS timer that will refresh list of shouts every 5 seconds	var lastShout_sb="";		//Global variable that stores last shout which is to be compared to continuosly refreshed list of shout outs - Purpose: to prevent repetitive refresh of the list		/**	 * I. Obtain latest shouts from database every x seconds	 */		//request the server for latest shouts	function loadShouts_sb() {		RecieverAj = new ajaxConn();		RecieverAj.serverscript = "ezShout/includes/procedures/fetchShouts.php";		RecieverAj.setValues("rand=" + Math.random());		RecieverAj.connect("displayShouts_sb", "GET");	}	window.onload = loadShouts_sb();		//display list of shouts when response from server is recieved	function displayShouts_sb (response) {		switch (response) {			case lastShout_sb: break;			default: alert("hi"); document.getElementById("shoutcontents_sb").innerHTML = response; lastShout_sb = response; setRefreshTime_sb(); break; 		}	}		//set a Timer that runs loadShouts_sb in 5 seconds	function setRefreshTime_sb() {		refresh_sb = setTimeout('refreshShouts_sb()', 5000);	}		//request again after 5 seconds	function refreshShouts_sb () {		RecieverAj.connect("displayShouts_sb", "GET");		clearTimeout(refresh_sb);		refresh_sb = setTimeout('refreshShouts_sb()',5000);	}					/**	 * II. Send a shout out to the server and store it in database 	 */		//onSubmit, send `name` and `message` input to server via `SenderAj`		function sendShout_sb () {		var name = document.getElementById("shouter_sb").value;		var message = document.getElementById("shout_sb").value;			SenderAj = new ajaxConn();		SenderAj.serverscript = "ezShout/includes/procedures/sendShout.php";		SenderAj.setValues("name=" + name + ",message=" + message + ",rand=" + Math.random());		SenderAj.connect("isShoutSuccessful_sb", "POST");	}		//check if shout out sent is stored in the database; successful	function isShoutSuccessful_sb (response) {		switch (response) {			case "true": alert("Your shout has been sent."); break;			case "false": alert("Unsuccessful post. Please report this."); break;		}				document.getElementById("shout_sb").value = "your message";		document.getElementById("shout_sb").style.background = "#E9E9E9";	}	//clear value of selected object	function clearValueOf_sb(object) {		object.value = "";		object.style.background = "#FFFFFF";	}//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------// End of Shoutbox Class//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can view the application here: click here

Well you get that same error message in IE 7 as well "unsuccessful post, report this" Of course my knowledge of ajax is limited but I would say the problem lies somewhere in here

/**	 * II. Send a shout out to the server and store it in database 	 */		//onSubmit, send `name` and `message` input to server via `SenderAj`		function sendShout_sb () {		var name = document.getElementById("shouter_sb").value;		var message = document.getElementById("shout_sb").value;			SenderAj = new ajaxConn();		SenderAj.serverscript = "ezShout/includes/procedures/sendShout.php";		SenderAj.setValues("name=" + name + ",message=" + message + ",rand=" + Math.random());		SenderAj.connect("isShoutSuccessful_sb", "POST");	}

in the post function and the connection to the database that is storing this shouts, take a look at your php file and see if you happen to forget to add a piece of code inthe php file that is failing to connect the db to the shoutbox.