xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tsunami

English Class Speech what do you think?

ok the topic is pro capital punishment:?Have you ever thought about how many criminals escape punishment, and yet, the victims never have a chance to do that? Are crime victims in the United States today the forgotten people of our time? Do they receive full measure of justice?.? These are just a few of the questions posed by the late director of the FBI J. Edgar Hoover. Criminals on death row have the chance to make a will and prepare for their death, while some victims can never do it. My opponents may argue that the death penalty has no deterrent effect, but according to a study done by Baily Hennis, the death penalty was a deterrent in 27 states. When there was a suspension on the death penalty in the United States, the study showed that murder rates doubled. The study also investigated 14 nations who abolished capital punishment. The study claimed murder increased by as much as 10% since five years before it was abolished.My opponents may say that innocent people are put to death for crimes which they are falsely accused. Where is the proof? A study by Bedau-Radlet claimed there were 22 cases where the defendant have been wrongly executed. However, this study is very controversial. Studies like these found that the methodology of these cases were flawed. There was no substantial evidence of guilt and no evidence of innocence. Most likely, an innocent person will not be executed. The average time spent on death row is 10 years. With all its appeals, the death penalty is by no means swift. If an innocent person is sentenced the death penalty, there is more than enough time to have your case stated and evidence to be found of your innocence. ?Thou shalt give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot? as stated in the Bible, shows that the death penalty has been around since the beginning. No, the death penalty is not a punishment fit for all crimes, but the most heanous of crimes deserve the most severe of punishments. The Death Penalty should not be abolished.Tell me what you think!

It's good. I think the death penalty works mostly as a deterrent- in most cases, the death penalty shouldn't really be used, in my opinion, but most of the people sentenced to the death penalty have committed murder several times or something terrible like that, so the death penalty really isn't that strict and, really, it is used so seldom that you can't argue it's wrong based on how much it costs.If someone commits murder once and regrets it, they're not going to get the death penalty, so, really, it's even lighter than the biblical "eye for an eye" example which, really, isn't even "biblical" at all... Anyway, the death penalty should stay.

I'm an English nerd, so my first thought is that, if you have to turn in a printed copy of your speech (or your outline/notes), you should make sure that the formatting, grammar and spelling are all correct. (Some teachers are very strict about that sort of thing - why lose points from your grade if you can help it, right?)You've done your research, which is good. Making a solid argument, no matter where you stand on an issue, is always good.As for what I personally think of your speech? Yeah, I agree with you. The death penalty IS a deterrent. How many executed serial killers continue their crime sprees? (Snarky? Yeah, it is - I wouldn't add that to your speech if I were you. Heh.)

Very well written speach, I agree with everything you said completly. The death penalty is a punishment that people on death row deserve, If they are innocent they have more than enough time to appeal for what they did and let the justice system do its thing. Great paper though and very persuasive and great valid points.

No, i didn't have to turn in a written copy... all I had to do was stand in front of the class and read it...

I'm glad you all agree but i must ask one thing, was my speech persuasive? Did it persuade you to be pro- capital punishment? or were you already that way and you just agree... OR are you already pro-capital punishment BUT you think my speech could persuade someone else?

ok... imma give you what i was going to use in my speech had i not left it at home and had to re-write it:

Kenneth Boyd murdered his wife and father-in-law in front of his three children, who were 13, 12, and 10 at the time. This happened in 1988 when he was tried and convicted of murder and sentenced the death penalty. He was put to death in 2005. His only defense was that "[he] doesn't want to be remembered as just a number" so he should stay in prison for the remainder of his life. Why should we grant him respect when he didn't grant his victims respect? Why should we let him live his life when he took life away from others? Why should we, the people, pay out of our pockets, to keep a man alive who doesn't deserve it? We should'nt

what do you think of that version? I personally think i went a lil overboard on the Rhetorical questions...

Change

Have you ever thought about how many criminals escape punishment, and yet, the victims never have a chance to do that?

to
Many criminals escape punishment. (Then write about how horrible it is that the victims cannot.)

(I'd say more, but I'm afraid I'd irritate you as much as I bothered a few kids a few years ago.)

This response is way later then you'd have liked, but I think that adding in the swiftness of the punishment is crucial in the deterrent factor. The courts have proven they can take as long or short a time as they wish in carrying out the death sentence for a capital offense, example is Tim McVey who was terminated in a pretty small amount of time compared with some death row inmates who wait in many cases for 20 years or more before finally receiving their just deserts.

I think the state is too careful about not causing undo pain and suffering to those who have caused so much themselves too. Why is it people care that someone who hangs might not die without pain when they've seen the gruesome details of the things some of these monsters have done to others? I personally think that such events would serve as a greater deterrent if they were broadcast to a wide audience including children. People, children especially, need to see the results of wickedness and evil and learn the lesson of "eye for an eye" and so on. Today people are glued to the TV or computer playing violent games and watching violent shows but in the two-dimensional world of the computer monitor or the Cathode Ray Tube of the television, none of the consequences are felt or even seen most of the time. It's like you can go kill whomever you want in a game without consequence and I believe sometimes people have a tendency to carry that with them when they live their real lives in the real world with real consequences. Why not show the consequences too? Even the news in Amerika won't show 99% of the graphic violence that happens in the middle east for fear the public will wake up to what's really going on over there and quickly loose their collective appetite for wars. Our society needs to see the bloody graphic consequences caused by people who do bloody graphic things to others. And they need to be dealt with fairly, and swiftly, with a wide audience watching. I think I'd personally prefer to watch a good old fashioned execution, wouldn't you?