xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Old School Arcade Review (simpsons) The Simpsons *que music*

Recently I got back into playing old school arcade games; no I am not talking about the ones that have been redone so you can play them on your playstation, xbox, psp or whatever. I am talking about the huge joy sticking, button mashing, finger hurting, 50 cent dropping, pizza eating games we gamers played back in the 80's and 90's in malls, until we got those lame games like Dance Dance Revolution (eeew) where you need to actually pay attention to. Well it was simple economics to why the arcade industry died out i.e.: playstation era of gaming. Of course it was due to that fact to build a arcade was like what roughly in the 6 figure department? of course now that’s chump change to how much it costs to make a game (millions). Back then it was a big deal because if you didn't make your money from the hundreds to thousands of arcade machines then you lost a lot of money.

Of course the biggest name of arcade industry was of course Capcom... need I say more about this gaming giant? Hopefully I don't but if I must then ok. Street Fighter, Final Fight, Dungeons and Dragons need I say more?

If your lucky you can find these old school game in nickel arcades and maybe some bowling allies, of course if you were lucky and bought one from someone selling them then kudos’s to you. Of course if you know about emulators and roms yes arcade games have been converted in a form called MAME how the heck they did that I would not know, I don't even see how it was done since ports to these games went to a system. Of course your on your own in finding them, which of course isn't that hard.

So thats bit of background history so now for the Review

The Simpsons

Some screen shots

Posted ImagePosted Image

for some more images go Here

Game Maker: Konami

Year:1991

Price: 50 cent to start I believe it 25 cents to continue

Levels: 8 (including bosses at the end of each lvl, With Burns being the last boss.)

Sound: I give it a 10 you could hear the characters quite well.

Graphics: Easy 10 and I still give that grade 16 years later.

Mini-Games: Yes (2 one was blowing up a balloon as fast as you can against 3 other opponents AI or human and a slapping game to see who could wake the Simpsons faster with you against 3 other opponents AI or human.)

Difficulty: 10 if you played it old school with cash and 1 on the emulator since you don't have to worry about cash and just keep on pressing the start button.

Game play: basic punch kick combos and the ability to jump and if you have items you can use them as well, milkshake anyone? The game also has some super moves as well in whihc oyu have 2 characters next to each other and you have them stand still for maybe about 3-4 seconds and they have special area attack, which is sometimes effective (not against the bosses). Basically a button masher game.

Plot: It was a lovely day in Springfield, the family Simpson just strolling about minding their own business ... JUST THEN...Homer bumps into Mr. Smithers who just by the way robbed a diamond store. In which the diamond Mr. Smithers had drops and replaces Maggie’s binky and so Smithers kidnaps her and so the Simpsons must rescue her. GO TEAM SIMPSONS!!! ***does a thumbs up pose with a wacky face***

First Impressions I remember playing this back in the day in a amusement park, after my first 50 cents I was hooked and button mashing would begin. Of course this game was hard(roughly 10-11 years old) especially since you had to drop some serious cash to get far in this game. The farthest I got in a group or single player was the second stage the huge clown ball got me everyone time. I don't even think I can tell you how much I spent on this game, I would ball park maybe $40-$50 at the least maybe more. Never did beat it back didn't have the money (LMAO), time and a good location to play that game.

16 years later After finding the game and a proper emulator to get it running, which setting it up the emulator sucked by the way ( yeah I know it should easy you be surprise). So after figuring it out it was time to play, so I soloed the game with Marge Simpson by accident, but has had the range so it didn't matter. I would say at .50 cents a game I would say I sunk in about close to hundred dollars worth (died a lot). I finally beat it in about an hour, yeah I was surprised how long this game was, and of course you have to remember I never got past the second stage. So I was happy that I finally beat, so I thought I go all out and play all 4 characters ( had to do some tweaking to get the controls right). It was still fun, took out about 5-600 bad guys total, I would say an hour and change. You be surprise on how much you have to do in controlling 4 characters at once, so I finally beat solo and group and it was still awesome like it was 16 years ago. Of course my fingers hurt even more playing on this laptop :lol:.

Overall Ranking: 10 easy, the game was fun and challanging at the same time and still good to play from time to time.

Once I figure out how to set up the online component this emulator and of course they said it had a online mode, maybe I can get a few people to play and beat it together :lol:. So if you want some old school challange let me know through IM or otherwise and I will send you the info on it's location. So now for a catchy slogan.....hmmmm GOT IT!!

"Games don't get old, just people!"

--Now for some copyright info--

Images and of course games are copyrighted to its perspective owners blah blah blah. Roms are illegal and so do not get caught blah blah blah or else blah blah blah. Reviews and opinions are my own so don't argue with me unless you can prove otherwise why this game sucks and 100% of the time you are wrong because one your either a new school gamer and don't know a good game when you see it or two, well there is no two so HA!!. All slogans, trademarks and names excluded the games I review are copyrighted to me blah blah and blah. 2007-2009 SM Old School Legend.
Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

Nice... I am also into old arcade games like pac-man, and games like that. I like buying the orignal arcade games like the ones that are in the arcade instead of getting te game for atari or an old syustem

really good review. I remember playing this game and recall it being really fun. A lot of the arcade games back then were really good. If only they made games like that but for the new systems it would really be awesome.