xisto Community
sdteam

Dont Get Norton Internet Security by sdteam

Boo NortonDont Get Norton Internet Security

Here's my experience with Norton from March 31, 2009..

I downloaded/installed/scanned using the free trial.  Scanning took a little over 4 hours.  Found 1 trojan and 1 cookie tracker.

Then, realizing I'm not gonna pay their price for their anti-virus stuff (yeah I'm cheap like that) I went and downloaded Avast.  The full scan took less than an hour.  It found 8 more trojans that Norton missed.

(BTW - If you try to download Avast and find that they're asking for a membership of some sort, you're on the wrong site.  Avast is 100% free.)

-reply by Chris

Norton: YouDont Get Norton Internet Security

I've been a loyal Norton customer ever since my first computer about eighteen years ago but, after spending two days trying to get Norton Internet Security 2009 to install and work correctly, I quit.  Or, more accurately, to quote Donald Trump (and this is the only time I'll ever do so), Symantics, you're FIRED.  I'll finally just use the free McAfee Suite that Comcast provides. 

It took about four attempts to get NIS 2009 to install (as it's apparently not compatible with other Norton products) and then that installation evidently wasn't a good one and I had to do it again after using their removal tool to purge all Norton remnants.  The next installation seemed to be working fine, and I was able to run an update and complete a quick can and a full scan. 

Then my computer started acting erratically (BSOD, diverting to safe mode, etc.)  Unfortunately, one can't access and delete NIS 2009 in safe mode, so getting rid of it wasn't easy. 

My final Norton experience was using their removal tool to purge all Nortain remants again, only this time they're going to STAY purged.   

-reply by James

Norton Internet Security really secures your computer by shutting you off the InternetDont Get Norton Internet Security

The Norton Internet Security is supposed to keep viruses from getting into the computer in the first place. But it seems it didn't do a good job at preventing viruses like Malware Defense from getting into my computer. I lost my Internet connection as a result. After removing the the viruses using MalwareBytes, I was able to connect to the Internet again. But when I reinstalled Norton Internet Security, I lost my Internet connection again. After being put on the "queue" for at least an hour I was finally able to talk to a Norton support engineer/technician. He asked me to uninstall the Internet Security to let him get to my computer remotely through the Internet. He worked for sometime on my computer and then reinstalled Internet Security. Sure enough, the Internet connection was lost again. Then he transferred me to another engineer/technician for removing viruses. This time she didn't even bother to remotely connect to my computer. She just asked me to pay a premium sum of money to solve the problem. With that much money I could have bought a brand new computer! I trusted Norton before but not any more.

Norton Internet SecurityThis me is venting

Today all my programs that uses that uses the internet
Were not working for example the browser wouldn't pick up on the connection
So I rang my internet provider to see what the problem was there way no problem at there end so they asked me if I had any anti virus programs I said yes they asked me to disable it so I did and wow the internet was back on so they internet provider told me to call Norton and tell them what is happening so I did was on hold for about 30min
Got to the operator and was telling them about my issue we tried all these things to see what they problem was and they couldn't help they said it wasn't there product but really it was because the only way I could get on the internet was disable it I told them that but they just kept making excuses and sending me to different departments so I got feed up and hung up
So now I want to vent my anger lol

What dose Norton Internet Security Really secure?
Nothing I got a lot of virus a lot of hacks they say they protect us from viruses, spam, phishing emails
To be honest they don't protect anything

Is this rhe right solution for you?
No it is not

How Did it work for you?
Didn't work good I don't even know why 350 million computers have this software

Would you recommend out software to others?
No I will not if you say it protects your pc then it should

Norton = not good! My in-laws had it and had viruses every month! Ever since having Panda Internet Security installed, they had few to no problems. Once or twice a season something may try to get in but it doesn't get through. And this is with a 30-day trial that expired. Imagine if we had actually bought them a yearly subscription? :)