xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hyriu

Your Dog Got Sprayed By A Skunk Now What ?

To your dog or cat, the outside world is a playground, and coming head to head--or head to tail--with a skunk is just one more adventure. For you, the smell of adventure may be a little hard to take inside the house. You can take heart, however--there are ways to banish that skunky smell and welcome your pet back into the living room.
The most important thing to do if your pet has been sprayed is check his eyes, nose, and mouth. If he was sprayed in the face--which is exactly where skunks tend to aim--the chemicals in the spray could cause irritation and inflammation. They could even inflame the lining of your pet's throat and lungs, if inhaled. If your pet was sprayed in the face, rinse his eyes, nose, and mouth with water. If, after rinsing, his eyes look red or he rubs at his face, he should be seen by a veterinarian. The veterinarian can make sure his eyes aren't damaged and prescribe an ointment to soothe the irritation.

If your pet's eyes, nose, and mouth check out okay, the next step is getting rid of the smell. The traditional remedy of soaking in tomato juice can reduce the odor somewhat. It will be more effective if you give him a bath with dog or cat shampoo first. Another home remedy that can cut down on odor is a mixture made of one teaspoon of dish washing liquid and one cup of baking soda dissolved in one quart of hydrogen peroxide (3 percent strength). After thoroughly soaking your pet in the mixture, rinse him with clean tap water.

This remedy doesnt work as well as a comercial product but it will get you trough the night of the weekend if your veterinary is closed.
[note=truefusion]http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/]

Pardon me if I've somehow misunderstood the question as posed, but the best way to avoid skunk spray is to train that stupid dog to stop harassing wildlife. I live in the backwoods and have had firsthand experience with skunks. They're wonderful little creatures who would just assume lick peanut butter off your hand as spray you - or your well-trained dog. Contrary to popular opinion, skunks will not spray unless they feel their lives are threatened. Even then, it's not a given. Not that I condone conditioning wildlife to human presence, but skunk often make their way into backwood human habitat; or should I say, we often make our way into skunk habitat. So, if you're going to live among wildlife, it behooves you to train that darned dog to respect wildlife, especially skunk. The training method would not be unlike training your dog to respect cats...look, but don't chase; smell, but don't lunge; say "hi," but don't hump. How often do you hear of cats getting sprayed by skunks? Dogs...they are such a burden...heavy sigh........

Teach your dog not to lunge, what??

Your Dog Got Sprayed By A Skunk Now What ?

Replying to Misanthrope Give me a break. I love all animals even the skunk who just sprayed my dog. The skunk was in my dog's fenced in backyard. Dog's are curious, they can't help that. How the heck can you teach a dog not to try and play with another animal? My dog is so curious it's crazy, but I love him. He's not the brightest that's for sure, but then again the little skunk was being curious in my backyard. No harm done, just a really stinky dog! :)

I sure hope you have had your rabies vaccination before you go letting a skunk lick peanut butter off your fingers! They are very prominent carries of rabies. One of the worst. As far as training your dog to not bother wildlife......wait, that's what dogs are for! Hunting dogs, varmit dogs, guardian dogs, that is their purpose in life. They have been helpful to man, not a burden, since the first cave men domesticated the dogs that hung around their campsites when they realized that their keen sense of smell and other abilities could aid them in their hunts and actually make life easier. The American Indians even used them as beasts of burden when moving from camp site to camp site, before horses were brought to this country.

how could you even get your dog near a skunk. i've never seen one in my life let alone bump into one on my daily walk!

Not everyone lives in the city, in more rural places skunks roam free and dogs may chase after them even while not under your watchful eye.

To MisanthropeYour Dog Got Sprayed By A Skunk Now What ?

To  the reply and comment on dogs. I feel you have no right to say dogs are a burden. You don't know what you are missing out with not having a dog in your life. They are wonderful. Dogs are curious just like any other animal. Skunks in the situation you are describing as being in backwood...Well they should stay there and not in a town. It's not like a dog is out to harm the skunks and they should hold out on spraying anything till they know for sure that the dog or any other animal or human is out to harm it!

Thanks for the suggestion and advice on skunks spraying dogs!! I hope it works!!

-reply by Miss EMT