xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
aoehq

I Need Linux

hi, i have a call of duty 2 gaming server hosted at my house, it uses windows, but i heard Linux does a much better job.does anyone know a good version of Linux that would work fine with my call of duty 2 server to run in? thanks.

first off, is your server not running good on windows, or does it work just fine? Do you use this computer for anything besides running the call of duty server?

I believe Linux does not support call of duty. Linux is best for http/ftp/telnet/ssh servers, not gaming servers. Linux has few games that would require a gaming server. Realize you are using a completely different operating system - it's the equivelant to asking if you can make a Conter Striker server in OS X.

i have world of warcraft server in Debian Linux. i think Fedira and Redhat is realy best for servers. windows is very idiot system. only one hacking attack and system is down. i'm Fedora Redhat and Debian User and i haveno any problems with my O/S.

Hi, I would recommend going for Ubuntu 6.10, or maybe 6.01 LTS for your choice of Linux... Especialy if you are not very experienced with Linux systems... You coudl probably find an instalation of CoD2 in one of many Ubuntu repositories, and then use Synaptic (Synaptic is something like Add/Remove Programs in Window$) to install it, or maybe apt-get...Ubuntu is based on Debian, so probably packages made for Debian, will work on Ubuntu (don't know though, I'm also a big beginner for Linux)

I believe Linux does not support call of duty....

this is not true. u can run them on linux. i don't know how, but i'm sure u can :P

You could choose between Fedora core and SUSE .. opensuse and fedora core are both available for free downloads..

Fedora core :

Fedora core is a projetc sponsored by red hat. You can download their distributions free of cost. You can get them at

fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/Download

OpenSuse:

Open suse is a project sponsored by Novell. I think there is a commercial distribution of SUSE. But if you want a distribution free of cost., you can download it at

en.opensuse.org/Download - 24k - Cached - Similar pages

You can get information about many linux distributions and download links for those distributions at linux.org. To be exact , you could download the distruibutions using the links displayed at the following page.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

There is a search functionality available on that page . Fill up the search form and you should be presented with a list of distributions with their download links.

Good Luck in finding your destined distribution, and installing it.

this is not true. u can run them on linux. i don't know how, but i'm sure u can :lol:

Of course you can through WINE or Cedega, but that would be a waste because you are emulating Windows through those applications, which is pretty much worse than just having Windows in the first place. Natively, you cannot run Call of Duty, because Linux has its own special binary format just like every other operating system.