xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Silivar

Best Way To Learn C++?

I am learning C++ myself at the moment and the first book I reccomend is C++Programming In Easy Steps by Mike McGrath. I have read this cover to cover and back again. I still use it for reference.This book gave me a very good grounding on the structure of the C++ language and makes it possible to write programs from the outset. Once you know your basics, the internt is a colosall resource.Particularly to tech related subjects, you can't go wrong with a Google search and a handful of trusted websites. Believe me, there are plenty.The scope of C++ is vast as to what you can use it for.you need to pick a subject or two and research that. I started, arbitrarliy with "artificial intelligence". Well, that opened up a whole new can of worms. Before you even get started on artificial intelligence you need to know some detailed background such as math processing, genetic algorithms, memeory management, etc.You ,ight want to start with something like "gaming"; though even that can have "artificial intelligence built into it as well.Other fields are graphics processing, mathematical programming, network programming; practilcaly anything you can do with the electronics of a computer can be done in C++.Finding your niche in programming might be the most challenging aspect about it - unless you already have a clear idea about what you want to get out of C++.I recommend cplusplus.com for reference and learning as well.Best of luck.

As per my experience the best way to learn the C++, i would prefer you just through the complete reference of C++ in which the examples are awesome,and the second just the visit the w3school most popular website and great material and update are available regarding the C++ that might help you.

Hi!I believe a pretty good way to get started with C and C++ development would be to get a good book that helps you pick up concepts quickly and to try to implement the various common data structures and algorithms using C or C++. For most people the list includes: Linked Lists, Circular Linked Lists, Double Linked Lists, Binary Search, Bubble Sort, Heap Sort, Quick Sort, Selection Sort, Insertion Sort, and Radix Sort.The above data structures and algorithms will give a developer a quick run through of structs, pointers, and recursion in C/C++ and would be a great way to get started. However, to get beyond the basics, it would be necessary to look at some open-source code such as the Linux kernel source code to be able to figure out how all of those programming concepts fit into the real world. Now, if one were to read through source code and were to say, "I don't get any of this at all," that isn't really an uncommon reaction especially considering that the Linux kernel source code is quite complex. The point to note is that the API helps programming in developing better source code and in designing their applications to accomodate changes in future. Using function pointers, clearly defining checks on array size limits, and ensuring that parameters are easily definable help in writing software that is extensible and maintainable by other developers who might have to inherit and work with the code in future.You can probably find a good used second-hand text book along with some notes. In India, since C programming is required for all engineering students, it is a fairly common text book and second-hand book stores. There are a couple of copies available on Internet-based stores too, so if you are willing to pay for the shipping price and then some, you can get yourself a slightly used copy of the C or C++ text book. You might want to ensure that you are getting a recent copy of a C or C++ book because the standards defining C and C++ have changed considerably since they were first introduced. A book that instructs you to use the DOS-based Turbo C or Turbo C++ is a definite no-no because it is based on very early standards.If you want to go beyond the basics, you should look for the C and C++ programming puzzles. They even get the pros a hard time trying to figure out what the code does because there's just so much there that even a simple programming language like C has to offer when working with arrays and pointers alone. Toss in data types and some arithmetic too, and you've got a mix for some obfuscated fun. You also ought to check out the obfuscated C programming contest - they have some interesting stuff there that would take you a while to figure out.When working with a versatile language such as C and C++, you can't really stick to just one book because there are libraries that Microsoft provides for Windows development, then there are the Symbian development libraries for mobile development, and there's OpenGL and DirectX for 3D programming, and the SDL library that helps with both graphics and sound programming, so you could get a book specific to every library there is out there and you still would have the libraries that do not really have books published yet, so there's pretty much an innumerous list of topics that can be found within C and C++ development alone. You can also use C/C++ for creating extensions for PHP and for building components that the Java platform can call using the Java Native Interface (JNI) or Microsoft .NET based applications can call using Interop.