xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Yratorm, LightMage

Dealing With Fear In A Hostile Situation The first in a series on practical self-defense

Welcome, all. This tutorial will teach you how to think and act in a hostile situation.

It is only the first in a series of four tutorials that will teach you the basics of practical self-defense. This tutorial focuses on training the mind for a hostile situation - the next tutorial will teach you how to effectively fight OR flee a bad situation. The costume in the pictures is just the training outfit in my Ryu, nothing more.

The first thing you must understand is that when someone attacks you, there are TWO battles that you have to fight with them.

The first battle is mental. The second battle is physical.
In simple words, you must defeat your enemy in your own mind, BEFORE you can defeat him in physical combat.

Here, in this tutorial, you will learn how to think in a hostile situation, so that your enemy begins to be defeated before you begin to fight..

The Battle against Yourself:

Understand that you must NOT be caught unawares. If you are caught unawares, you give your enemy the element of surprise. When you walk a dark street, be aware of shadows, be aware of entrances to buildings that possible attackers could emerge from, be aware of dark alleys.

In BROAD DAYLIGHT, in a crowded, public place, be EQUALLY aware. Look around you, take in your surroundings, walk alertly, DON'T make yourself an 'easy target'. Remember, your enemies WANT an easy target. Even a hunting tiger picks out the weakest in the herd. DON'T be the weakest in the herd.

Think like a warrior. Listen to that word - warrior. I'm talking to the women out there as much as to the men. Go and look in your mirror and say - 'this person is a WARRIOR. This person is not 'prey".

If you can't convince yourself when you look in your mirror and say it the first time, say it again. And again. And again - as many times as it takes. Convince yourself. You are a warrior. You are a hunter, a tiger - or tigress. If an enemy comes against you, you will fight with fang and claw - with ALL THAT YOU HAVE, if necessary.

Posted Image

Look in your mirror. See your first enemy. Yourself. Your mind will perhaps try to tell you that you are weak, that you cannot be alert, that you cannot fight. It lies to you, and it's lies are more dangerous than the attacks of an enemy. Defeat those lies with everything in you, with your WILL, with your mind and soul. Know yourself for what you are, a being with a WILL.

You ARE a warrior - every minute of every day, even when you sleep, even when you dream.

Accomplish this, win this first battle, and you have already defeated a portion of your enemy before you even meet him.

Understanding your Body:

Now let us assume, that despite being alert, despite all precautions, you still land IN a bad situation. Let's say that there are three well-built enemies attacking (or threatening) you. Now you must understand your body's response to this.

Your hair might stand on end. Your skin might grow cold. Is this because of fear?

NO. These reactions are NOT fear. You only think they are, because your society has fed you lies. These reactions are your body preparing you for combat. For fight OR flight.

Your hair stands on end because in times when humans still had fur, the fur standing up would make the human look larger and more dangerous!! Ignore this reaction, it is just a remnant of forgotten, far off times.

Your skin grows cold because the blood is being drawn INWARDS, to nourish your vital organs, increasing both your endurance (if you have to flee) and your ability to take damage (if you have to fight). Also, if you are cut, and the cut is not deep, you will not bleed as much as you would normally. Adrenalin will also flood your system, boosting your power, and your very muscles will tense and tone themselves, ready for ACTION.

UNDERSTAND YOUR BODY. ACCEPT the changes you feel, for they give you your best chance for LIFE.

Posted Image

You have been taught that these reactions you feel are fear. THEY ARE NOT FEAR - they are your body going into overdrive - they are your body TURNING ITSELF INTO A WEAPON. Yes, what feels like 'fear' is your body turning itself into a deadly weapon. And when you understand this, YOU can USE that weapon - to SURVIVE!!

This is the second lesson learned.

Fight or Flee:

Now you face your attackers, and your body IS READY. Understand that in the few seconds since the attack began, while your mind is thinking (or worrying), your body has responded like an animal - it prepares itself for ACTION. Indeed, with the changes that have occurred in your body in these few seconds that you have felt 'threatened' your body has become MORE than human - it has become an animal, a beast, ready to fight it's enemies into the ground, or to flee faster than it's enemies can run. It is READY. Now YOU must look at the situation and CHOOSE - fight or flight.

In subsequent tutorials, we will teach you how to fight, we will teach you how to run. And your body will prepare you for both. Your mind.. is the mind of a warrior, taught by YOU, yourself, every minute of every day, to NEVER BE PREY. Now COMMAND your body - fight OR flee.

But whether you fight or whether you run, RESIST.

Understand this - whoever faces you is probably a wolf. Wolves eat sheep, so you MUST NOT BE A SHEEP. Be a lion - no wolf wants to be suddenly faced with a cornered lion - or a cornered tigress.

Posted Image

Looking at a situation realistically, and recognizing traps for what they are:

Now for some simple, obvious, practical advice. You must look at a situation and see if you are really in danger. LOOK at your enemies, read the signals all humans send off - see if they REALLY pose a danger. Get together with a friend and practice recognizing these subtle signals.

If a mugger is going to be satisfied with your money - GIVE IT TO HIM. Money isn't worth putting yourself in danger, IF he's going to take your money and leave you alone. Try to 'read' him.

UNDERSTAND that there is a line you MUST NOT allow your attacker to cross. ABOVE ALL, don't let anyone even suggest that they tie you up, or tell you to get in a car so they can take you elsewhere - the moment they say that, they've crossed the line, and you HAVE TO FIGHT AND/OR RUN. Don't get trapped.

Another example: A girl is sitting on a bench in a park with no one in sight. Suddenly three men come up. One sits on one side of her. Another sits on the other side. The third stands behind the bench, behind her back. Is this a trap? OF COURSE IT IS. THESE THREE MEN HAVE ALREADY CROSSED THE LINE. This is an obvious trap. If you want to give them the benefit of the doubt, then RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN. Don't bother with talk - this is a TRAP. FIGHT OR FLEE, but NEVER allow a trap to close.

Incidentally, the trap described above (with those three men, and the girl on the park bench) HAS NOT CLOSED YET. She can still escape. Or she can even fight, with methods we will teach you in later lessons. She can prevent the trap from closing.

Now you'll say to me - how do I know it's a trap. Won't I look foolish running away if it isn't. Well, I say to you - this is a real incident I described. The girl was real, the men were real. She didn't try to run. She didn't try to fight. She tried to talk her way out of it. And she was dragged to some nearby bushes and raped.

It WAS a trap. Learn to recognize a trap, and NEVER tolerate one.

An Inspiring Episode.

Now, let me tell you about something that illustrates what an aid even the right mind-set can be. There was this old lady in the UK who had just collected her pension - as she was leaving the post-office three men stopped her and demanded her money. And this old lady lifted her walking stick and attacked one of the three with such ferocity that the other two men fled in terror - she actually broke his ribs, then, when he collapsed, she sat on him until the police took charge!! Now THAT'S an attitude. That woman is a tigress if I ever saw one, and you see what happens to the wolves when even an old tigress meets up with them!!

A good Meditation to help build your 'Fighting Spirit'

Many humans have problems with using violence. A tiger, on the other hand, has no problems at all with using violence if the situation requires it. This meditation will help you shift your mental state into that of a tiger, to allow you to better react to situations with decisive ACTION.

The Tiger Aura Meditation:

This mediation will help build up your fighting spirit - called in Japanese, Tou-kon.

Posted Image

Begin this meditation by sitting comfortably cross-legged, or in a chair. Close your eyes and breathe very deeply. Breathe this way for around a minute.

Keep your eyes closed throughout the meditation.

Now, with your eyes still closed, let your breathing become even deeper. Imagine yourself walking down a flight of stairs. There are nine stairs. As you step down each stair, you should count backwards from 9 to 1. After the last stair, there is nothing, absolutely nothing - just black, empty space.

You step off the last stair as you count 1 - you step into nothingness, into empty space, into chaos. Now imagine the 'human' skin you wear beginning to peel away to reveal the savage tiger underneath. Imagine your arms and legs growing, bulging with the great muscles of a cat - imagine claws forming on your hands and feet - imagine your face changing, the great fangs forming, the sensitive nose, the slit eyes, the pointed ears.

A cat sees the world not in color but in grays. In your mind, look out at a grey world. See people, not as people, but as prey. Imagine yourself, a great tiger, rearing up on two legs and fighting puny humans. See yourself fell them with mighty blows of your great paws. See yourself fighting them AS a tiger, effortlessly, with all it's great power.

After some time, open your eyes. But for as long as you can keep it up after the meditation, pretend that you are a tiger in human form.

Do this meditation daily, and in time you will see yourself not as a human but as a tiger; and will take on the beast's aura of strength and power.

Manipulating the mind of your enemy..

Just as your enemy projects his willingness (or unwillingness) to attack, you should also learn to project emotions that will MISDIRECT your enemy. Stand in front of your mirror and project fear, happiness, gladness, anger, lust - all without really feeling any of those things.

Sometimes an enemy will be caught off-guard by a victim pleading with him, 'projecting' helplessness, then suddenly attacking with lethal strikes.

Another time, a man intent on rape might be caught off-guard by a victim sensually kissing him, then striking him hard in the throat or groin.

Learn to project emotion 'genuinely' and you'll that it is a useful weapon to catch an enemy off-guard. And you might also find that getting your enemy to lower his guard is just as useful in combat as ANY weapon.

Posted Image

This tutorial is just the beginning of a series, and will be followed up by many more, teaching practical self defense, the use of concealed weapons, and unarmed combat - as well as the basics of effective fleeing. I hope these will be of help to people out there. Take care, all.

That's a very nice tutorial, I really enjoyed the tips you gave.That elderly woman had what it takes, and she wasn't scared, just like your tutorial is pointing out.This tutorial is becoming more and more handy in these times, for instance, did anyone see the incident on T.V. where these men stole from an elderly woman and took her money? That's just aweful, this helps in a way that people can not only FEEL more calm in these situations, but ACT calm. I can't wait to see your next tutorials. :P

Well, I would advise never fighting except if it really involves something more than money-products-things...For example, there was a girl in Salonica who was attacked by a thief, snatching her purse...She tried to stop him and he pulled a bottle of vitriol (highly corrosive acid) that burned her whole face and disabled her eyes....Just for a single purse...An albanian tried to help her and was damaged also....So, if it just involves an idiotic cellphone, just forget about it...Not worth the potential damage to oneself.

Hm..this is a long post...I have read most of it and it sure includes a lot of true things but fighting and revenge are never the correct answer to anything. If someone does something bad to you, with revenge you just tie yourself to that person even more and you end up with a lot of karmic links that bind you together with that person. If one harms you, you should feel sorry for him, because he is so unaware of what his actions will bring to him in the future in this life or the other. If you try to get your revenge you are practically the same and there is only the question "if chicken was there first and then there was the egg or vice-versa". By revenging you stir the water even more, producing immense karmic obligations that need to be fulfilled and will haunt you in your future lives....Do good, be unattached - be happy!Best whishes

heavensounds, I don't think I've talked about revenge at all. This is self defense, as in, if someone tries to spray acid in your face (as one of the people who posted above mentioned) you don't stand there and be philosophical about it, you get the heck out of the way.

I'm interested in helping people react correctly to hostile situations. This post was only the beginning, the mental training that is necessary before the physical training can even begin. Getting out of a hostile situation need not mean fighting, it might just mean being able to run away successfully. But it means getting out of the situation SAFE.

A man (or men) who attack you on a dark street may or may not be impressed by your philosophy of life. Generally, unless you are a philosophical giant, they're not impressed. This post (and those that will follow it) are not intended to teach people a non violent philosophy of life, but PRACTICAL ways to enable them to ESCAPE when danger threatens them, by the most EFFICIENT means possible.

I would rather help prevent a rape or a brutal mugging by any means possible than help the victim later 'feel genuine pity' for her/his attacker. Prevention is better than cure. I am a practical man.

On Karma:

I do understand Karma (I should, I've spent fifteen years of my life studying both the martial arts and eastern philosophy from some extremely enlightened teachers and gurus in the east) but to safeguard the life of another is a moral duty that is 'good' karma, rather than otherwise, even if it is through violence. Have you never heard of the Ksatra Code? The codes of a Ksatra Warrior that say that it is a duty of the warrior to protect the weak. By writing this tutorial, I fulfill a duty, as I help (perhaps) to protect someone, even from half way around the world. And that is considered 'good' karma. To think that karma is a concept of non-violence is a mis-conception, and can lead to grave errors.

To be free of Karma, and attain moksha (liberation) a being must engage in right-action, and that right action is NOT NECESSARILY non-violent. Indeed, a simple way to escape karma is merely to do one's duty, no matter how unpleasant or distasteful that duty might be. That is the soul of Karmic philosophy - to force western concepts like 'as you sow, so shall you reap' upon it is to corrupt it.

However, this is off topic here, so I will say no more. Walk in peace.

Interesting and highly informative tutorial you've got there, Lightmage. I agree with being aware of what might happen around you, but also it's equally important to keep your emotions in check and not let the attacker know that you're in a panic. As for the fight, usually it should be in a situation when you have no other choice, and I think your steps pretty muvh sums it up nicely...probably better than I would've done.

i totaly agree. iv trained in Kyokushin karate for over 6 years and im 3rd Dan black belt. i got my Sho Dan - 1st Dan when i turned 16. this was a great achievement for me as it made me feel more confident and able. i started Kyokushin because 6 months earlier i had had a brain tumor and i was getting pushed around alot at school. so i took up Kyokushin karate to learn self defence but also as a means of fitness as i had been in a hospital bed for other 2 months. i have never looked back and i highly recomend it.

A great post.Fear is often a factor that can have the most astonishing effects (positive or negative), i.e. it can nail someone to the floor, unable to respond at all, or it could indeed turn someone into a tiger.Also remember, being a proficient martial artist is not always a guarantee of coming out of a mugging unscathed.The mugger(s) could know more than you, and I have seen black belts being hit to the ground by a single street fighter.Also, never try to take on the world alone, e.g. my army tarining I had years ago would come in very handy in street situations like that, but there might be occasions where I would find it safer and wiser to run.

I agree that this is a great post. I liked the way told to meditate and the mirror thing to be prepared for sudden attack but you know someting? If you want to defend yourself than you should train yourself to hit a target...This target must be an effective target. And if you ever plan to flee but you're not sure if you can outrun your enemy than you might want to do the following:>1st>>put them in a wrong sense about something, like Yratorm says.>2nd>> than suddenly start running to somewhere..>3rd>> the running has sort of warmed you up so than suddenly turn back and kick high in the head or punch in the stomach. The force of your hand and your attacker's momentum will mount together to create a huge force that will hurt your attacker highly.>4th>> start running again and if needed repeat the above procedured again. This tedchinique ( :) ) once helped me out in a real fight. I had to once use it because five guys were trying to fight me and i had no choice than to flee, but one of them was fast.

:) Thank you for this tutorial Lightmage, as I understand the importance and practicality of fighting in many situations.I also enjoyed the connections to specific disciplines and philosophies that LM and others mentioned. I am attempting to absorb a lot of practicle philosophy from varied sources and I have to say that I have little grounding so far in eastern philosophies. I also really appreciate this tutorial because of the fact that in my furthering of learning and philosophy I have neglected the important art of self defence. I realize that ingenuity in fighting is all that has kept me from harm in encounters so far and to increase my chances of remaining intact to do something productive in the long run I should study these things.With my life at present I have not the opportunity to go to local dojos or classes, but with items such as this tutorial and basic study of these types of advice I should be able to be better defended and ready.