xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shadowx

New Worm Attacking Symantec Products Check this if you use symantec

Hey guys, en route to college earlier i was reading the metro paper, the free one on the tube, and i found this article: http://metro.co.uk/contact-us/article-1337003727804-1315b6a6000005dc-512140_636x1454/ which warns of a new worm attacking symantec anti virus:

Major companies are at risk from a crippling new computer bug which targets their antivirus software, it was claimed on Thursday night.Already, a division of the world's biggest media corporation, Time Warner, has been hit.Experts believe a disgruntled hacker with a grudge against software firm Symantec is behind the new trojan virus, a version of the 'Rinbot' bug.

Once in it is said to crack weak passwords and the like to access the network and do what worms do best, spread, to create slave/zombie machines and then use them for its own purposes. Apparently Norton isnt affected and they have patched the issue:

Symantec said its Norton products were not affected and it had released new protection against the virus yesterday morning.

I assume the patch was an automated update but as i dont use symantec i wouldn't know so best to visit their website see if you can find any info about the update.

Hopefully this will send a message to all that paid software isnt always better than free software! Shame it has to be a destructive message though.

and this is why I use McAfee. This is really to bad for Norton, with that new program, Norton 360, which they say is one of the best security suites money can buy. Used to use Norton. Then switched to McAfee for some reason that I forgot a long time ago.

I don't like Norton anyway. Their anti virus is way too bloated and slow for me. AVG, on the other hand, is fast, effective - and, best of all, free.I feel for anybody who's using Norton, though. I hope that the company shuts down this virus before it does much more damage.

Well I read and reread the article, but I see nothing that says Norton was hit with the virus. I don't like norton, but from what the article said, it was unaffected and your computer is still safe. Just thought I would point this out :P

pparently Norton isnt affected and they have patched the issue:
CODE
Symantec said its Norton products were not affected and it had released new protection against the virus yesterday morning.

As i, and the article says, Norton is NOT affected but other symantec products apparently ARE. Just to clarify things

Good thing I left norton. I left them ages ago now. I found out my internet package came with a free firewall and anit virus. I left Norton because it always brought up problems with my pc. I couldn't change the settings and would freeze my PC alot.