xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mich

Loss, Grief And Mourning Dealing with death

i would just like to say that if you want to know more about death and dying, i suggest to read the book, HOME WITH GOD, by Neale Donald Walsh. it's very interesting. Or the new book by Deepak Chopra.

Death is harsh. Some pass away early. Some late. Why live a life of suffering and pain in order to only see death at it's harshest? If a child, only 6 years old dies in front of you, you cry. You mourn for the child. If Great Grandma about 95 years old dies, you probably wouldn't cry like you did for the 6 year old. Death is harsh, why so? I wish I knew. {Off Topic: AWESOME reflection image!}

I think dwelling on death just makes it harder to get over. My grandfather died the day after x-mas. I got over it by a week later, I did so quickly because it would be harder to think about that person ever again. My grandpa has had colon cancer ever since I was about two years old. He died about two years ago when I was thirteen, a hard age to let go of someone you love....It's actually hard to let go at any age. I remember him until the day before he died it was hard, him coughing up blood, my grandma,aunt, and mother crying. They still keep that side of him lingering on their minds. I see him happy, death is a happy time for someone that has suffered for so long.

I dont get mourning. Whats the point? It's a waste of time and i could be doing better things. I've though aboutthe ones that died, sure. But i wasnt going to keep thinking about it, life gos on and you set yourself new goals.It's a wake up call that you should have fun every day or atleast try.

My church teachers (yes, I have quite a few) tell me that people mourn because they should -- death is an "unnatural wrenching" of the soul from the body, and it is a result of sin.Well, that's their opinion. Is death natural or unnatural?

Death is harsh. Some pass away early. Some late. Why live a life of suffering and pain in order to only see death at it's harshest? If a child, only 6 years old dies in front of you, you cry. You mourn for the child. If Great Grandma about 95 years old dies, you probably wouldn't cry like you did for the 6 year old.
Death is harsh, why so? I wish I knew.

{Off Topic: AWESOME reflection image!}

I think that when a child dies, people tend to feel that the child never had much of a chance to experience life. They feel like the child's life was cut short and thus they feel sad being robbed of the opportunity to get to know what this child would become.

When an elderly person dies, people tend to view it differently. The person had lived their life and had become who they were intended to be. It's still very sad and the person will still be missed, but people expect the elderly to be the ones that pass away.......not a child.

I have seen much in my lifetime........I've seen the results of unfortunate accidents in which a child, teen, or adult has been forever changed. I have seen how much some of these people suffer........I wouldn't wish this on anyone. In all honesty, there are cases when it's okay to do what is needed to save the person's life, but there are also cases when the greater love would be to allow the person the right to die. It's never an easy choice to make.......sometimes it even seems cruel.......but is it? Some people get terminally ill or suffer a bad stroke and they want to die........it's their choice........so they starve themselves to death. It's not that they weren't offered food......they chose not to eat the life-saving food that was provided.

My dad passed away 9-30-2007 from the lung cancer that is caused by exposure to asbestos and a bad heart. He wanted to die.......he had enough. He chose to drink alcohol with his med despite the warning against doing this........it made him verbally abusive. He would have become physically abusive as well, but we told him that if he continued to act in that manner that we would have no choice but to place him in a nursing home. His dream was to die at home. He didn't eat as he should have. I can't say for sure and my mom thinks the same, but I think he was attempting to starve himself but then started eating junk food instead of eating foods that offered the proper nutrition to settle his stomach. It got really ugly during the months leading up to his death..........he had a living will on file and so there was nothing anyone could legally do to attempt to save his life. We were all very prepared for his death.......we knew it was coming, but we didn't know when. I was suppose to care for him the morning that he passed away........I pulled up to their home and a police car was right behind me.......I knew instantly that my dad had passed away between when I curved our plans to go to church that Sunday morning and the time the police car pulled up........nobody had to tell me what happened........I knew. Yeah, it was a very sad day...........but we knew it was coming. My dad was 79 years old when he passed away........in many ways, he was always there for me and looked out for me prior to his death..........my dad is greatly missed.

Where a baby or child will be remembered by it's parents........but an adult will be remembered by all that knew them and spoken about for years to come.

I have a poem on my sight that addresses this subject matter. I thought this would be an appropriate place to post a link in the hope that it might comfort someone.

Gone From My Site

The poem that was used when my dad passed away is as follows:

I'm Free

Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free;

I'm following the path God laid for me.

I took his hand when I heard him call,

I turned my back and I left it all.

I could not stay another day,

to laugh, to love, to work or play.

Tasks left undone must stay that way.

I found that peace at the close of the day.

If my parting has left a void,

Then fill it with remembered joy.

A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss,

Ah yes, these things I too will miss.

Be not burdened with times of sorrow,

I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.

My life's been full, I've savored much.

Good friends, good times, a loved one's touch.

Perhaps my time seemed all too breif.

Don't lengthen it now with undue grief.

Lift up you hearts and share with me,

I'm with God now; I've been set free.

Notice from jlhaslip:
Quote tags added.

Please read the Xisto readme for details.

I dont get mourning. Whats the point? It's a waste of time and i could be doing better things.

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that no one close to you has died. Like a parent or lover, or best friend.
But if someone has, you have got to be one cold cold cold soul.