xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ghostrider

Linux Drivers? Where to get them, and how to install them.

My friend just called me, asking for a place to get drivers for Linux. I know a little about Linux, but not enough to help him out. He's using the distro ubuntu, and he needs a driver for a wireless card. The card he is using is a Dell Wireless 1350 802.11 B-GPC. I know nothing about Linux drivers, I use knoppix and everything I need is already on the CD. Can someone help me?

My friend just called me, asking for a place to get drivers for Linux. I know a little about Linux, but not enough to help him out. He's using the distro ubuntu, and he needs a driver for a wireless card. The card he is using is a Dell Wireless 1350 802.11 B-GPC. I know nothing about Linux drivers, I use knoppix and everything I need is already on the CD. Can someone help me?

yes i'm that guy looking for it, Chris if you want i guess just call me up and tell me how to make knoppix bootable and i could do it from here on my Compaq :/ Call me ASAP *still looking for drivers though*

Ok, a little off topic, but whats linux? i think its an operation system, like windows. I took apart a windows 95\DOS computer last night, so thats the only kind of computers im experenced in.o yea i'l look for you driver, too.

Dell seems very difficult to get working with Ubuntu. People contributing to the Wiki generally say that the wireless cards either don't connect or require extensive setup. Have a look here. In the mean time, open up Synaptic and look for packages called ndiswrapper and networkmanager and see if they help out. Sometimes just installing them can be a great help.

yea its a OS but much more complex, well not really its just less user friendly than windows. :/

I actually find Kubuntu a lot more user friendly and intuitive than any Windows OS I have come across, and I have spent years using every edition of Windows since 3.11 For Workgroups (including Bob).

Hey,I've had the same problem with linux and wireless card drivers! But if you use the latest versions of linux like myself on fedora core 6 then you shoulnd't get any problem with the wireless card, you can basically do a "yum install (card Name)" and the rest fedora would do for you, but anyways for other linux versions try searching google, theres always a way to get the drivers! Try also going to linux official forum! it works great!If you know how to compile the kernal then you can risk that and try and make each and everything work the way you want! It's a tough job and you will be risking your device! anyways thats all i can say! anything else you can lemme know!