xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Unregistered 012

Help Installing Phpbb On My Site [resolved]

Ok, i am hosted here and i am trying to get the phpBB2 forums installed on my site. I have made a database, i have uploaded all of the folders to the FTP. Now everytime i try to start the install, it either says that there is a critical error, and that i have configured something wrong. Does anybody know the Database Type i need to use? And any other help that you could tell me would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have been trying to do this for the last 5 hours now. I have been trying everything possible to do this. I have followed all the steps on their site. But i cant ever start the installation because i can never connect to the database. I need to know what kind of database do i need to use.MySQL 3.xMySQL 4.x/5.xPostgreSQL 7.xWhich one of those database's do i need to use. Thank You.

Savage,The cpanel is terribly busy at the moment, but going by memory, if you are using the Fantastico installer, it does all the work. By the nature of your topic posting, I assume you have chosen to upload your own version. If you were using cpanel, you do not need to bother with the mysql version. For the record, it is mysql 4.1.21 or better. That information and all of the signifigant facts about the various software versions ( php, etc) are available on the main account page of the cpanel, on the left-hand side.If you are performing your own version install, first you will need to go to the mysqladmin on the cpanel and setup a database. Simply add a database and write down the dbname and the user should by your cpanel-user-name (I think). Then use this information to install phpbb. The database name has your cpanel user name added to the front of it. Again, I am going by memory here, so check that by first adding the database in mysqladmin and then go to phpadmin to see what information that software will provide.phpadmin will also provide the connection information as php code, so by looking at it, you will be able to determine the signifigant parts, ie: localhost, dbname, password which you have written down, dbuser-name, etc. Mysql server, on the Xisto, is always 'localhost', by the way. Hope this assists you in some small way. Post back here if you need anything more.Opaque and the Server admins might be performing some magic for us, so be considerate of their efforts and perhaps, if the system is busy, plan on doing the install later, or tomorrow, unless it is absolutely critical that it be done tonight. Thanks.

Hi Dear savageyou can install phpbb in with one click in fantastico in cpanelin phpbb you must use mysql for database , save details (database address : localhost , database username , database password and database name ) in config file and save it then you can run install file

Install it via fantastico, it will be easier than having to setup the database etc.If you want to do it the hard way follow these steps.Login to cPanel -> MySQL Databases -> create a database named forums -> setup a database user and add it to forums -> navigate to where you placed the phpbb directory in public_html or www -> run the installer -> input database name cpanelusr_forums (replace cpanelusr with your cpanel username) -> input database username and pass (database username will start again with your cpanel username cpanelusr_dbuser remember to change cpanelusr to the name of your cpanel account) -> press next on the installer and phpbb will install -> once the installation has been completed delete the install folder from the forums directory -> your doneHope it helped

The database type is a MySQL database. Make sure that you have already created the database in cPanel before you try to install phpBB. The forum cannot create a new database, only add tables and content to an existing one. Also make sure that when you tell it the database name, you prefix it with your cPanel username. For example, calling a database FORUM results in it actually being called username_FORUM. Make sure you also have all the folders CHMODed correctly according to the instructions, and the config files are writable.If all that fails, try posing the exact error messages here, and we'll see what we can do.