xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Watermonkey

Belkin Pre-n Wireless Router And Macbook Pro C2d Why cant I get the speed to 108?

Ok, here's the situation. I've got a Belkin wireless 802.11n (pre-n) router and it works fine with it's own card in my Dell laptop. 108 Mbps all day long but I can't seem to get that kind of speed with my MBP C2D. I just downloaded and installed the $2 firmware update today and it's showing up in network utilities so I know it's active. I just changed the Belkin to 802.11g only thus giving b the boot. So, according to the software manual, it now will support g and n. What can I do to get the n speed with this thing? Thanks.

The problem is that n hasn't been set as a standard yet, and unless you buy every single component of your wireless network from one company you will find that most of it won't work at all, or will run at g speed. Check with the two manufacturers and see if the router and card are compatible for n. If not, then they will not work unless both release firmware once a standard is decided, assuming that the hardware can comply with the standards. Otherwise, you are stuck using Belkin stuff.

Nice scam they've got going there. You have to buy both ends to make it work. Well, I guess I'll just have to wait till the standard is finalized and hope for the best then. Thanks for the answer.

Nice scam they've got going there. You have to buy both ends to make it work. Well, I guess I'll just have to wait till the standard is finalized and hope for the best then. Thanks for the answer.

Yes u have to buy both an n standard receiver and a n stnadard base station