xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SportsLegends

Peyton Manning: Now Or Never?

As the Indianapolis Colts get set to host the New England Patriots this weekend in the AFC Championship game, the focus inevitably becomes the two starting quarterbacks, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Peyton Manning will likely eclipse Dan Marino to become the NFL's all-time leading passer by the time he retires. Tom Brady will hold no such records, but he has three Super Bowl rings already, and is looking for #4. Both quarterbacks have almost certainly reserved themselves spots in the Hall of Fame after they retire. But as the Colts continue to fall short in the postseason year after year, critics continually point the blame at Manning.Peyton can erase his reputation as a regular-season-only kind of quarterback this weekend. If his defense decides to play like it did the past several weeks, and not how it played at the end of the regular season, the Colts should win this game. It is not too late for Manning to rid himself of the dubious distinction of being Mr. Un-clutch- he probably still has another six or seven years in the league, maybe more. But this is his best opportunity yet- he has the Patriots, his old nemesis, at home, his defense is playing well, his teammates are healthy. No excuses this time: he needs to get it done.How much will Manning's legacy be tarnished if he never wins a Super Bowl ring? One analyst on ESPN asked rhetorically if Dan Marino's legacy was hurt by not winning a Super Bowl. Actually, I think it was. If I wanted to start an NFL team in 1996, I would have picked John Elway as my QB, not Dan Marino- the difference is how they perform in the clutch. If I was to start an NFL team today, I would choose Tom Brady as my QB, not Peyton Manning. Brady, like other great champions such as Jordan and Tiger Woods, actually raises his game when the pressure gets the highest, whereas Manning, and to a lesser extent Marino, fail to do so. Champions are made during the last drive of the fourth quarter. Can 2007 be Peyton Manning's equivalent to John Elway's 1987? I doubt it.

Peyton Manning is Peyton Manning, does not matter if he has or does not have a superbowl ring, he will still be looked at one of the greatest quaterbacks of all time(who was unable to win that championship. Something Tom Brady knows when he retires he has something to be remembered by!

Peyton Manning is Peyton Manning, does not matter if he has or does not have a superbowl ring, he will still be looked at one of the greatest quaterbacks of all time(who was unable to win that championship. Something Tom Brady knows when he retires he has something to be remembered by!

Yes, Peyton Manning is Peyton Manning, of course, but does he leave a legacy of greatness or disappointment? Of course he is a very gifted quarterback- I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the leagues all-time leading passer by the time he retires. But the reason why he is a disappointment isn't just because he has not won a Super Bowl ring, because that it a team-dependent reward. Barry Sanders, for example, is, in my mind, the greatest running back to ever play the game (along with Jim Brown), even though he never won a Super Bowl. Barry was on consistently average to below average teams. But Manning does not have that excuse; the reason why Manning is such a disappointment is that he himself plays worse in the postseason. He has 275 touchdowns versus just 139 interceptions. That's great, Hall of Fame stuff. However, in the postseason, Manning has thrown 16 touchdowns versus 13 interceptions. That's average quarterback, hope you don't lose your job kind of stuff. Champions are made in the postseason- Manning has more of a stat-sheet kind of greatness.

Reggie Jackson is known as "Mr. October", because he had a remarkable ability to step his game up during the postseason. To me, Peyton Manning is football's Mr. October. Unfortunately for him, that means he plays his best football in the middle of the regular season, not the playoffs.

Peyton Manning is the best qb, it does not matter if he wins the superbowl. That is just crap made by the media to get some attention and have something to write about. Peyton has shown what he can do, he is a leader, he leads his team and can make plays. If he wins the superbowl, he should be the best qb ever than, the way the media is putting it.. especially espn, that's all they are talking about, almost the hwole season.. it is not over until it is over. And he should in this superbowl and hopefully next season we will not hear anymore stuff about how he will not be considered one of the best qb's! I wish he played for the falcons, we're stuck with vick...;)