xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ellentemplar

Self-defense, Philosophy, And Meditations.. I think these would be great additions to this section..

Hi everyone, I notice that we have a lot of posts on general fitness, including topics on smoking, metabolism/weight-loss and heavy-weight training.I've been thinking for some time that some good threads on self defense/self defense moves/general awareness, etc. would be very useful. I'm writing out a thread of my own on 'awareness and safety tips' - it'll be up in a few days (want to collaborate, Yratorm?) - but I'm sure there are a lot of members out there who could also add valuable threads on these topics.Some good meditations would be another nice topic for threads - meditations that calm the mind, improve focus, give you a feeling of being 'rested' - there are so many. Will post something on this too, if I can.Yratorm, a martial artist studying in the east has tons to contribute on these subjects, I'm sure :P Just a suggestion. Take care.

Hmm, these are the topics Opaque has posted in the description of this section:

1) Fitness and good health (on exercises, aerobics, diet, on building fitness and maintaining fitness, etc.)

2) Strength and Endurance (using weights; also, special exercises to maximize what basic strength you have, etc.)

3) Trapped and under Threat (practical self-defence, what to do if.. )

4) Martial arts philosophies and meditations(maintaining your mental calm, dealing with stress, knowing yourself and finding the strength to be yourself - a calm and confident mind in a healthy body)

Of these I'd say topics 1 and 2 have a lot of threads, but we could definitely use some more threads on the last two - I for one would love to hear of various philosophies of life, and meditations.

Ellen, to answer your implied question about a martial artist in the east :P , yes, I'm an instructor in several martial arts, and am presently an instructor in a ninjutsu ryu in the east. I'd be glad to collaborate with you on the 'awareness and safety tips' thread.

For self-defense moves, I'll have to sort through the techniques of various arts and then put up only those techniques that are effective but require neither great strength nor intensive training - techniques that anyone can use, basically. I'll put up something in a few days, if I can.

Once again, would love to hear of various philosophies/meditations, etc. it would be fascinating.

Ellen - I'm so glad you brought up topics that promote self awareness and spiritual growth. These endeavors are overlooked in modern society in favor of mundane (and what I find boring) trivialities.Personally, I couldn't care less about which football team is playing Monday night, or who won on American Idol. I don't care who Brad Pit is getting married or divorced to this year. And I really don't care what color Oprah is wearing to the academy awards. Unfortunatley, this is what the majority cares about. You are obviously (and thankfully) not in the majority.What I do care about is elevating humanity to the level it should be at this point in time. I think we're running behind schedule. In fact, I think we have de-evolved to the point we no longer have great masters of the humanities in our midst. Where are the Mozarts, Davincis and Platos? It's up to people such as yourself to keep the common consciousness from slipping into complete oblivion.

Well, lets get started with it then. I remember a great meditation I learned from yoga class. You lie down flat on your back listening to conforting music, and you focus on your breathing, you breathe all the way in and all the way out really slow. Then you close your eyes and think about every part of your body and you apply force in it (example, start with your feet, think about your feet, curl them tight, then let go) and then tell it to relax, and move on with your body until you are finished and your body is relaxed. Its been a long time since I went to yoga class, about a year or so, thats all I can remember right now.