xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
brandon10092

Computer Processors Comparison

What is the best brand of processors in your opinion? I have an AMD 3100+ in my Compaq desktop computer (it's a couple years old now) and I know Apple moved to Intel for their processors. Does that mean Intel is definitely the way to go next time?

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

In my opinion, I'd stay with AMD. But you gotta look at both sides I suppose. Intel is dominating with their dual-core and quad-core setups. But if you look at AMD they are always a little behind, but then they come out with some killer CPU's that really put the smack-down on Intel. Also, AMD is getting dual-core, quad-core and they are already in deep research on octo-core (which is eight). I'm a AMD man so I'm prolly not the best person to talk to about Intel's side. AMD is king of 64-bit CPU's. So, I hope I helped you a little bit.

I have used intels for a long time with them in the desktop computer in my house and two laptops up to now. Im my opinion AMD is better to go with. They seem to be more trustworthy, reliable and powerful and as korin said, they are never behind, always slipping in front with the better engineering.Plus, for another thing I'd rather not support intel, feel like going with a different company!!! :P

If you're looking for bang for the buck (as many people upgrading or buying new computers are..) I'd go with AMD. You can snag one of their X2 series dual core processors for less than $200. As far as performance, Intel currently has the edge in my opinion. Many of the systems that people request from Plug Computers are Intel based. Intel seems to be preferred for gaming/video editing while AMD is more geared towards basic computing/word processing/internet surfing. Not that you can't use AMD for gaming, just seems like the trend is shifting towards Intel right now. Look for prices to drop on the new Intel core 2 duo processors soon, as they already have, technology is moving forward and you'll be able to pick one up for a great deal.If you need any other help or have any questions PM me or visit http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I don't agree that AMD is not the gaming leader. I have played games like FEAR and Oblivion on both a Intel and AMD system, they both had the same vid cards, memory, and everything. The AMD system ran everything a bit smoother and at an average of 5 - 9 frames per second higher. Both of the processor were equal as long as comparing brands goes.I agree that Intel is better for video editing, but I would pick AMD over Intel for gaming any day.

I have serious heat issues with AMD in the past. Personally I'm a fan of the PowerPC processor line, but I got my Dad a DualCore iMac for christmas. I did some rendering tests and was extremely impressed with rendering times for 3D animation. I'm not ready to abandon my Quadcore G5 for video editing and compositing just yet.

While shopping for a new desktop/laptop, I have never seen one which uses an AMD processors, so I reckon the only way for us to get an AMD is if we customly create our computers, am I right to say this? Plus I am thinking of getting a Mac just as soon as I save enough money but then again, they are being built on Intel processors, so how can anyone suggest the way to go with AMD for Mac?

I'm not sure about getting AMD for Mac, but AMD's are a custom build friendly company. I think Dell is signing some agreements with AMD and will be using AMD processors in their machines soon. And if your looking for laptops/desktops with AMD processors, just go to any gaming computer company and look. I got my laptop from ABS and I love it. Powerful enough to keep up with the newer games and stuff coming out, and rendering and stuff goes quite quickly.

Edited by korin (see edit history)

It depends what you want to do with your computer, and at what price range. If you want to get the best processor on the market at present, no matter what the cost, you want an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, as that beats anything AMD can throw at it at present. If you want a lower range CPU, then as PlugComputer's said, AMD have more bang for their buck, and they tend to overheat less.

The latest Core 2 Duo Processors are the first Intel processors which would convince me in not buying an AMD for a long time. Before Intel came out with the Core 2 Duo I bought an AMD X2 and now I am quite jealous that Intel's processores are much faster for equal or less money. Anybody has the feeling no matter what computer you buy a month later you regret it?

AMD's been way ahead for anyone into gaming, and most people overall, until recently. As far as price to performance goes, you're best off with a Core 2 Duo. I've got a Core 2 Duo E6300, which, at the time I bought, was around the same price as the Athlon X2 3800+. I was gonna go for that, but I'm glad I didn't. As far as a raw comparison between those two goes, the Core 2 Duo wins out in most cases.The cheaper Core 2 Duos have overclocking ability on their side. With good cooling, you can get a normally 1.86GHz E6300 to the mid 3 GHz area. On stock cooling, they can usually go up to 2.5GHz or so. If you're into overclocking, Core 2 Duo is for you.Of course, by the time you buy something new, AMD may have something new out. It's bound to happen before too long. Currently, I've gotta say Core 2 Duo is your best value overall.

Hmm, I am a fan of intel, but as long as you use your PC for games, or some multimedia delelopment I'll say stick with AMD, if it's a 64bit AMD even better, but still I've got a Core Duo processor, and it's doing a great job so far, my other PC has P4 HT processor, and I use it for both Game development and movie making, and a lot of stuff that require powerfull computing. They both handle tempreture and data overloading pretty well, In my experience Intel processors are what I prefer, but AMD chips are not to be underestimated....they are cheaper and hotter, but they are made for working that way....if you need speed than intel is what you need, if you need performance, a 64 bit AMD will do just fine for you.