xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
delivi

How To Get Real Subdomains

I want to setup sections of my site as

laschatz.info

using subdomains. Presently if I create a subdomain for the forum ,

then I can only set an redirection to the folder

I want the link to remain as forum.laschatz.info and not to change. How can I get this? Please help me.

When you create an add-on domain to your account, it automagically creates the directory and that directory holds the files and folders for the add-on domain, so the link to subdomain.myaccount.trap17.com will resolve to myaccount.trap17.com/subdomain. Automagically.

A light alteration to haslip post ig I might, when you do the add on domain, vo to set up redirect and then type it out like you want it should hold the mydomain.mydomain.trap17.com look try that and see what happens.

dear delivi use subdomain in cpanel for add subdomain for root domain , if you want add subdomain for 2nd domain , at first you must use addon domain for join domain to hosting then you must use subdomain sec at cpanel for add forum subdomain for new domain ,in cpanel subdomain sec you can change domain name for adding a subdomain

delivi:when you use the subdomain tool to create a subdomain for a folder that doesn't yet exist, that folder is created along with a cgi-bin folder within it. When you create a normal extra directory, this does not happen. Hence I believe the cgi-bin has something to do with the creation of a "real" subdomain. I'm just logging into my cpanel as I'm typing this...The cgi-bin folder doesn't have any files/folders inside it. Either that, or they are invisible to the file manager (which I doubt). So my guess is that you should try creating a folder called "cgi-bin" within the "forum" folder without any additional subdirectories/files inside the "cgi-bin" folder, and see what happens. The other members told you to set up a redirection through the cpanel (check out Albus Dumbledore's cpanel tutorial for more info on that). In my experience, I believe it does not automatically create a cgi-bin folder, rather it literally redirects (i.e the viewer types "forum.mydirectory.com" and is redirected to "mydirectory.com/forum"), as you said in your post. If a cgi-bin does not automatically create a proper subdomain out of that folder, I believe you will need to do both. Conclusion: try experimenting with either of the two methods, if they don't work, combine them. If it still doesn't work, there's the sure-fire, slightly more timetaking method:simply copy the files and folders you have in the "forum" folder into a new folder, with any name. then delete the "forum" folder. then use cpanel's subdomain tool to set up a new subdomain, letting it create the directory for you. then simply move the files you copied BACK. this will DEFINITELY create a "real" subdomain, where "forum.laschatz.info" will stay as "forum.laschatz.info". Simple! hope it helps!

Edited by detportal (see edit history)

Right this is how to do it:

Right first of all what you need to do is go into cPanel and create the sub-domain as normal. Once created, in the list of sub-domains and next to the sub-domain you just created there should be some brackets. Copy what is in between these. Next go to the FTP page, where you create FTP accounts, and click "[ Add FTP Account ]". On the next page type these details in:

Login: Any username. Not needed.

Password: Any password. Again not needed.

Quota: Leave as unlimited

Directory Copy and paste the sub-domain here. Say your sub-domain was "forums.mysite.com", put "/forums" in here.

Then click "create"!

Hope this helps.