xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
blendergalactica

Router Reset Problem First with a belkin

I went cheap and got a Belkin wireless router and it had to be reset every 2 mintues otherwise it would loose connection my motorola surfboard cable modem. The LAN still functioned, but....So I went out and got the Linksys 54g, which is the router I've set up at work and other places before, but now I'm having the same problem. The first day it ran like a champ, but now two days later I'm having to reset the thing about every 15 minutes. (Save config changes). I can still connect to the router and other computers on the LAN, but it keeps needing to be reset for a connection to the internet. This goes for wireless as well as wired (like my PS2) connections. Is there a setting I need to change. I've owned these before with high traffic areas and they only needed to be reset every week or so. Here is it just me, my roommate, and the PS2 that is conencted. And now that classes have begun again, the PS2 is hardly getting used.

So both routers you have had were wireless...If that's the case, have you secured your wireless connection--proper SSID, WAP encryption with password etc? Even applying MAC filter setting would have been sufficient. If you have not performed any of those, perhaps someone else gained access to your router via Wi-Fi and resets it in attempt to get their connection going. This is very common in dense Wi-Fi traffic area.Give us more detail how you let your wireless connection remained.My next theory would be your TTL setting...but let's go with my first question and then go from there.

I well I have had a simlar thing happen to my wifi router, but it would cut off the connection. The solution would be to update your your firmware, this usually solves the problem, thats if you haven't already done then that. But like buff mention, you should secure your wifi, so the leechers can't get to your wifi.

Cable modems are funny--they record the device connected via LAN with initial boot.Linksys has "Client Lease Time" setting under DHCP menu. The factory default is set to 0 (meaning every two days it will reset DHCP information and lease from the cable modem).First, turn everything off including your cable modem. A complete power off. Wait about 5 minutes for your cable modem to lose flash memory. Trun your cable modem one followed by your router. When you see a solid connection light from the cable modem, turn your wire-connected computer. Access the router and change the Client Lease Time to 1440 (this is 1 day). And see if your router successfully functions daily.

If your router resets, it means it's being overwhelmed with information and data; This always happens with my Edimax router and when I get the money, it's going out of my datarack. >_<PS> This can happen when using azureus, shareaza, and filesharing apps.

Edited by O_H (see edit history)

Av got a bt broadband box and gettin the same problem I use to run my pc and my console at the same time with no problems at all, now just resently my console wont play online cos my signal is so poor...Av even tryed taking the internet cable out of my pc 2 see if my signal will boost up on my console but nothing is work...Can you reset your bt broadband box??? are find a new provider?-reply by spikey_mike

Question!My laptop will not connect to the internet-it is set up via my desk top- I have a surfboard as well as a router for my connection to the laptop- I have been noticing that the laptop says connection is poor, low strenght. Now I ran a check and it says it cannot connect to the media.  When I checked my network connection it shows two computers with an X, did I loose the connection or is something wrong with my laptop?

-question by puzzeled