xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zak92

Weight Training Without Gym Equipments

Hi as you guys can see in my introduction that i have recently moved from a nice country to a 3rd world country. That means i don't have my Gym equipment here and neither had it in Canada. I used to go to YMCA but it is not available here. I am losing my muscle and the dumbbells are too expensive here. Anyone have ideas on what i should do to maintain my muscle.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Topic modified
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

I think some creative thinking can help you the best here. The first is the isometric exercises to strengthen your current muscle mass.I recall the movie, "Rocky" where couple of makeshift equipments helped to build body mass. Rocky, in the movie, made huge dumbbells with two large stones and one iron rod. Or pulling even heavier object with pulley and rope.According to some exercise catalogues, there are traveling DB's you can purchase that can be filled with either water or sand to give you customized weight experience.Although it may not be a YMCA quality weights, I think your body would not know the difference when its being pushed to the limit.

I actually love the part where you said about the sand. Iam going to do that. Unfortnately i cannot do flys. It wouldnt matter i would get my biceps in shape. Thanks a lot for the help. I will find empty bags fill em up with sand and tada

But you CAN do flys :P Take a small metal pipe (hollow) about a dumbbell bar's grip in length and pass a rope through it and tie both ends of the rope to a bag - make two of these, filling each with the same amount of sand (try to get the weight exactly the same - measuring them on a scale if possible). You've made two small dumbbells. Now grip the two pipes and do your flys - Be careful not to let the weight swing into you when you bring your arms down.This thing about dumbbells being too expensive is bad - the government should realize that weights are a public service it needs to provide and subsidize them on every street. Right, JUST kiddin, heh.Hmm, weight equipment costs about 18 U.S. cents a pound in the east (where I am) - really! I wonder what shipping em' by ship to you (rather than by air) would cost, hehe. I can find out, if you want, it'll be amazing if it costs less to buy the weights here and ship them around the world than it costs to buy them where you are - you'll just have to wait 3 months for it to arrive. Well, just thought I'd make the offer.

Edited by Yratorm, LightMage (see edit history)

Oh, and before I forget, a strong plank resting on some concrete blocks makes an acceptable bench. The plank should be about a foot or so wide and four feet or so long.Hmm, you said you're in a 3rd world country? I live on the tibet-india border, are you anywhere near by?Where I am weight equipment cost 18 U.S. cents per pound, as I said - things are usually really cheap in third world countries, not expensive. I'm puzzled why they should be expensive where you are. Well, by third world I meant africa or asia - perhaps you're somewhere else. If you're in africa or asia I can give you some tips on where to go to get equipment cheaper (don't buy from stores, buy from open air flea markets, is one easy tip).

Learnt this in my "Physical Active Lifestyles" class: buy 2, 4 litter bottles of water from any corner store (about a dollar each) and empty the water or drink it since it is good for you :P. Anyway add a little bit of water in each one and increase it as your strenght goes up, After water isant a problem then start puting sand/concrete in them. They work well and not expensive at all.

A dumbbell is a piece of equipment used in weight training, and are considered a type of free weight. It is a weight that is usually held in one hand. Hence, dumbbells normally come in pairs. The forerunner of the dumbbell was used in India for more than a millennium, shaped like a club - so named Indian club. The design of the "Nal" as the equipment was referred to can be seen as a halfway point between a barbell and a dumbbell. It was generally used in pairs, in workouts by wrestlers, bodybuilders, sports players, and others wishing to increase strength and muscle size."Dumbbells" as a word originated in Tudor England—the devices used for ringing church bells were widely known for their impact on increasing muscle size, creating a trend in the 16th Century which saw rich young men installing similar devices in their homes, consisting of a pulley with a weighted rope which the user pulled as though he was ringing a church bell[citation needed]. These were known as "bells", but as there were no actual bells on the end of the pulling ropes and were silent, they came to be known colloquially as "dumb-bells". Over the centuries, the pulley and weighted rope fell out of fashion, leaving just the weight.Dumbbells of the weight type, without the pulley, have been used in America since the 18th Century.By the early 19th Century, the familiar shape of the dumbbell, with two equal weights attached to a handle, had appeared. There are currently two main types of dumbbell:

Edited by zak92 (see edit history)

Hi as you guys can see in my introduction that i have recently moved from a nice country to a 3rd world country. That means i don't have my Gym equipment here and neither had it in Canada. I used to go to YMCA but it is not available here. I am losing my muscle and the dumbbells are too expensive here. Anyone have ideas on what i should do to maintain my muscle.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Topic modified

In many parts of the world, exercise is called work. You can even get paid to do it!

In many parts of the world, exercise is called work. You can even get paid to do it!

ROFL - hehehehehe, really, really funny, Iscatel.

--------------------------

Hmm, zak92, I understand the problems you face - UAE and Dubai are fairly restrictive cultures. However, as one who has traveled widely in asia and africa, including the gulf countries, I'd just like to say that I have a LOT of asian, arab and african friends. And they usually help me out when I need their help for anything (such as getting stuff cheap, for example).

Don't take this badly, I DO understand the problems you're facing, but you have to realize that if you look at a country (and perhaps the people in it) as 'sh***y' and 'third world' then you're not going to make friends. And making friends with the locals in a new land is really the best way to learn how to 'get around' and to master the local culture. Arabs have quite a code of honor, you know, and they can be very nice people when you REALLY get to know them.

Just my take on things - arrgghh, it does sound awfully like preaching, doesn't it? Feel free to ignore everything I've said here :P

As an example of what friends can do for you, however - I got admission to a most reclusive Ninjutsu Ryu in the east (not easy, believe me) through the influence of local friends who put in a good word for me... so if you connect with people there's no end to what you can accomplish or get done.

People are the same the world over, believe me - the same strengths, the same weaknesses, the same joys and sorrows. We are really all brothers - and if you realize that, you can do ANYTHING.

Well, as I said before, feel free to ignore everything I've said here. I'm just trying to help, but I hate to preach, and this comes close, arrgggh.

Take care, zak92.

- - - Sincerely, Yratorm.

Hey zak92 if you are really keen on keeping your muscle mass then why dont you join any regular gym or something. Understood that you may not have that kind of equipments as you might need but still loose weights do more of work most of the times. (Trust me dude I've tried all gym equips and nothing beats plain old loose weights). I dont think it should cost a lot and quite honestly I dont even think that UAE(or wherever you are) wouldnt have decent gyms around. CYA around.

Hmm, zak92, I've been reading your posts in 'the rant' and I think I understand your problems a little better now, and you have my definite sympathies.

Me_boxer_dude, it seems this guy (who's of indian origin) has, in short, been exiled to the desert for not keeping within his parent's 'norms of behavior' back in canada. Hmm, having traveled around asia I can understand that indian parents can be VERY repressive.

I wish I could help you, really I do. I have several friends and acquaintances in india who have the same problems, so I understand EXACTLYT what you're going through. I'm sorry I got on my 'high horse' earlier in this thread, zak92, really I am, but I didn't realize you were indian, you see - I thought you were canadian. Now that I know you're of indian origin all your problems suddenly make sense.

What most kids in india (many of whom are in your position, believe me) try to do is to become independent and 'get out' as quickly as possible. Hmm, I would REALLY like to help you, your position is unenviable - it reminds me of those pakistani parents in the UK who would trick their daughters into traveling to pakistan and then force them into marriages with someone they'd never even met before.

If nothing else, I'd just like you to know that I DO understand your problems, and you have my sympathies. Feel free to talk about anything you'd like help with here here - I find people on this forum really understanding and helpful.

I live in the middle of nowhere (= No Gym) so when we cut down a tree I took different sizes of banches and carved around them to make weights, however their only like 10 pounds each since they are from a tree and carving out big ones would take forever. Also you could try taking some cement and a iron bar and making one that way.

Edited by Vain (see edit history)

You dont need weights too build muscle!! First EAT RIGHT, peanutbutter, tuna, mayoneise, eggs, these all are great sources of protein you want a lot of protein if you want too gain muscle mass. Now the best workouts that i know if you dont have any equipment involve your body. Do crunches, leg lifts, elevated pushups, pull ups, and if you have someone to workout with its best, if you have another person, have them stand over your head while your laying down, lift your legs straight up and have them throw yuor legs in front of you at the ground, just keep lifting your legs back up and dont let them touch the ground, its great for abs. ok other things include, standing on your hands and leaning your legs against a wall and doing verticle pushups, great for upper body strength, you can do pull ups on anything elevated your hieght or taller so just bend your knees and do inward pullups (with your palms facing towards you) and outward pullups (with your knucles facing towards you) great for your bi's. When you do sit ups (crunches) make sure you make your elbows touch either knee back and fourth the whole way up and down, it will ripp your abbs. You can do elevated push ups by putting your legs up on a high surface IE a desk tall chair counter top, table. Make sure you switch up your hand possition so it works all your uper body. Now for home made weights, , buckets are always great for weight lifting as they are usually easily accessable and can be filled with a variety of things(i suggest watre as it is pretty heavy. Isuggest making lines measured too certain heights (using measuring tape) inside the bucket using permanent ink so you can fill both buckets up the same height, so they weigh the same amount. Drink a lot of protein and eat your daily vegetables, fruits, proteins, etc. Eating healthy is the first step too having a nicely defined muscle tone. I hope that helps good luck.

Edited by PurPleKuSh (see edit history)