xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SportsLegends

Bill Cowher Retires

Bill Cowher made it official today: the longest-tenured coach in the NFL is stepping down after coaching 15 years for the Pittsburgh Steelers. He leaves a legacy of both great accomplishment and a strong feeling of "oh-what-could-have-been." Cowher led the Black and Gold to 8 division titles. However, Cowher went just 1-4 in AFC Championship games at home. No coach has ever lost two AFC championship games at home before Cowher lost his four.Speaking as a Steelers fan who has watched the Steelers ever since Cowher became their coach, I think that Cowher gets blamed unfairly for these losses. Sure, the 15-1 team should have beaten the Patriots a few years back. But Cowher did take slightly-above average teams and molded them into Super Bowl contenders year after year in the mid 90s, and again in the 2000s.If I was an owner, the only coach that I would pick to head my team over Bill Cowher is Bill Bellicheck. Cowher is not nearly the strategist that Bellicheck is (but then again, who is?), but Cowher had an incredible ability to discipline his players without losing their respect. During Cowher's 15 years in Pittsburgh, there were virtually no major problems in the Pittsburgh locker room (at least that were made aware to the public). Dan Rooney I think deserves some credit for this environment of winning and professionalism, but Cowher was the other constant since 1992.I am expecting Bill to take one, maybe two years off, and then return to coaching. There are two reasons that make his return seem inevitable: first, Cowher will be the most coveted NFL coach whenever he decides to coach again, and the money will probably be hard to turn down (not that he is overly materialistic, but when someone throws a guaranteed $25 million at you, it is hard to turn down.) The second reason why Cowher is going to come back is that he is too much of a competitor to not be involved with the game of football. I expect him to be back in the NFL soon, but, unfortunately, in colors other than black and gold.Oh, by the way, his Super Bowl victory last year reserved him a spot in Canton. I hope he enjoys the next few years with his family.

Yea... I wish he retired last year when he won the super bowl, would've been more memorable instead of going 8-8. Anyway he really good coach and he prolly will coach again someday???? Nice topic

Nicely written. I have had great respect for Cowher ever since I started watching football. If you look at the Steelers, there aren't many superstars. The only explanation to all the success is Cowher. I'm not quite sure if he will come back however. He might go coach college like some other coaches and have a little down-time. Money would draw him in, but he already has enough and doesn't need anymore. The Steelers are unlike to get Bill Bellicheck because he seems very happy in Patriots. It would be great if they could get him, but I think they will end up with a fair coach. The Steelers won't be as good as they used to for a while.