xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Magic1492

Razr Firmware: Is It Really Locked?

I've been wanting to get a RAZR, but I'm a big fan of custom files on my phone. I usually will upload ringtones, wallpapers, and (if possible) games. I hear it's locked by Verizon and you can't do that anymore. Is there any way to flash the firmware to make this possible again?

What is locked is the Sim Card, but you can connect it to your PC and unlock the phone for use with other carriers. My friend has a RAZR, and he just did that. You can also just buy an unlocked phone from tigerdirect.com. There is no reason it should be locked for custom files though, so I wouldn't worry about that, just check out a forum with RAZR updates and search for a topic like that.

The Sim card is not locked in the verizon version of the phone because verizon phones do not have Sim cards. In order to add ringtones, wallpapers, etc to the phone and not purchase them off of GetItNow, you will have to download a program that will essentially hack your phone and let you into the memory. Google verizon razor hacks and you will get plenty of guides on how to unlock and access your phone.