xisto Community
BuffaloHelp

Free Active Virus Shield Powered By Kaspersky Lab

Kaspersky Lab, joined with AOL, is providing free 100% licensed anti-virus program for you to use.

https://discover.aol.com/security

Some people prefer Symantec over others and some prefer Kaspersky. I am one of Symantec users. I have been and probably will be for the rest of my life. However, I would be remiss if I did not test this program as a computer owner.

Symantec has been the choice of anti-virus for my work place. And naturally I rely on what I see at work--defending my computers throughout the worse cases of threats in the past. But the corporate version I have always has been resource hungry. And with the latest 10.1.5 it seems like my home computers cannot give more unless I upgrade RAM to even higher MB.

So before I install Active Virus Shield I took a notice of my page file usage and processing numbers:
PF Usage: 429MB
Processes: 50
Symantec program: 90.2MB

After Kaspersky:
PF Usage: 302MB
Processes: 47
Kaspersky program: 11.43MB

The installation was something of an oddity. Perhaps it's because I have never used anything else but Symantec. Before the installation of Kaspersky, first I had to uninstall Symantec (as the popup guide directed). After the initial installation the complete current virus definition update required computer restart. Of course this followed by complete scan of my computer.

I also noticed that my computer boot time is the same, noticed a Active Virus Shield logo on my Windows Login screen at the upper right corner but the loading of AVS itself was lot quicker than Symantec. All that is left is to see how reliable this version of Kaspersky engine from protecting my home computer. I only installed to one of my machines just to be on the safer side.

This free license expires in 364 days from the installation. An activation code will be emailed to you instantly to the email address you provide prior to the download.

Thanks for letting us know. I was hoping something like this would come along. I've seen Kaspersky do its thing, and it does it quite well. That's good that this one is not hard on the computer. Although the one i have is really easy on the computer, free, and does about the same thing. When compared to Kaspersky, what i saw was that Kaspersky was in the lead.

Most businesses do use norton antivirus but the corporate versions of the program use a lot less resources than the home editions for a number of different reasons. First of all, the corporate editions do not contain any firewalls, spam guards, etc. plus it only checks the local server for updates and doesnt have to try to access the internet. There are plenty of free solutions available with just as reliable protection. I use Avast Antivirus which is completely free and has not let me down. We use it for all home pc's people bring into work because it is so reliable. It uses very few resources and does a great job and probably will use less than Kaspersky since AOL has always released programs that are memory hogs.

Is this Active Virus Shield like those anti-virus you see whereby you scan for virus on your computer, quarantine .... etc? I have been looking for a good Anti Virus for a while now because I think it is pointless to purchase a licensed Norton Anti Virus every year. As you know they have a yearly subscription, I would have to pay SGD 40 every year just to continue using that anti-virus. And in the long run, lets take a time-span of 10 years, SGD 400 will be spent on renewing my Anti Virus alone. Furthermore, I am not using it for any corporation, it is simply for a home use; for my laptop. I used to be using AVG to scan my computer but as mentioned by them, as of January, they will not provide any more updates, meaning we would have to pay from what I understand. So I am on the lookout for free anti-virus. Do get back to me, as from what I read about Kasperksy Lab, this could be the next 'AVG' in the making :lol:

Thanks for providing the information about something which I was really looking for. Currently I am using avast and I don't think the antivirus is much affectively protecting me. Now I got a good alternative to try on.