xisto Community
dartkun

Ctrl + C Will Not Work Windows Xp Pro SP2

Well if its a conflict , I can't help much. Try to assign IRQs manually if u know how to do that :D

But before that you may try to restore the system. It might fix it.

btw .. i personally believe that IE is a piece of crap. try to use firefox, it performs much better

<a href=http://forums.xisto.com/topic/44040-ctrl-c-will-not-work-windows-xp-pro-sp2/ to bluedragon</a>
Hello,

I have a simillar problem with Internet explorer it just would not use the ctrl c,ctrl v,ctrl x,ctrl a and delete :D
It happened just suddenly and it pisses me off :D

Could you please help me with it?? I looked into the system information and I do have some conflicts there..

Many thanks in advance
Anna

Certain types of software will do this, I know. My dad can't copy and paste when both Excel and CuteFTP are up, for reasons I can't fail to comprehend.Try booting in safemode and see if it can copy fine. If so, then it's some driver or some program. Now, you just simply go through the list - use Task Manager to end tasks and try out the copy and paste till you end one and see if it works.

More info

Ctrl + C Will Not Work

Replying to sl4y3r1980

Few months old Microsoft keyboard, well kept and in perfect condition, both ctrl and c and v and z keys function fully, the key shortcuts ctrl+c,v,z do work with the right ctrl, which is the less ergonomical choice, which is irritating.

The issue is not in hardware, as in the keyboard does function.

Also, USB port apparently functions also.

Key shortcut also functions, but with the alternate keys.

1) Software issue within windows (probable to me)

2) Some kind of malicious software that isn't yet recognized by scanner? (maybe)

3) Keyboard not sending two key presses simultaneously when using left ctrl. (unlikely to me)

-I ran keyboard test

Left ctrl does function, but it overrides v,c,z keys when pressed, so those keys do not send any signal.

Also, while writing this response, I discovered two additional malfunctions;

Cannot drag-and-drop with mouse (even after restarting the pc)

Temporarily failures of drop-down-menus in internet browsers.

I'm starting to lean towards

1) Malicious software

2) Software error

-reply by Massa

ctrl + c

Ctrl + C Will Not Work

I have also had this problem for a few days now. I'm running Vista and after reading this thread thought it must be a software conflict as the keyboard is working fine and I have no viruses.

Sure enough when I closed an application that runs some CCTV software ctrl + c worked fine again!

ctrl c not working -

Ctrl + C Will Not Work

Replying to bluedragon

Hi,

I had this problem - ctrl-c does not work (but all the other ctrl-x, ctrl-v etc do work) on a logitech 1500 wireless keyboard.

Turned out that logitech quickcam (version 10.5.1) disables ctrl-c. Stop the webcam, and ctrl-c starts working again :-)

JohnFPD

-reply by johnfpd

Thanks Johnfpd, you seem to have the answer (for me anyway).  A couple of days ago I had the same thing happen to me.  Without warning Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V just suddenly stopped working on my Dell XPS M1530 laptop. 

Restarts, system restore didn't help.  But when I shut off the webcam manager process (Dellwmgr) both of them came back and work fine again.    

-reply by Paul

Seems to be a timing issueCtrl + C Will Not Work

I've got the same problem with my recently purchased Toshiba laptop, and it's not that control key combos don't work. It's that you have to hit the second key in the combo insanely soon after the first. If you hit C or V after even a small delay, the fact that you've got the ctrl key pressed gets ignored.

I haven't found a fix except making sure I've got a finger over both keys before pressing ctrl.

-reply by Brett

CCTV app !Ctrl + C Will Not Work

I had the same problem - ctrl+c does not work!

When I closed the CCTV application ("MultiView") - it came back to life again. I've found it uses a ctrl+c as a shortcut key and for some reason, it traps all ctrl+c and does not forward them. Lame software 

-reply by Jonathan

Something WorkedCtrl + C Will Not Work

came heer after looking for a reason my ctrl+c didn't work, saw some people mention other programs running...

well, I went and closed 3 programs, Media Player, an EA download manager, and some Microsoft Sync crap.  anyway, after closing them ctrl+c works again 

-reply by Scott

Hello people.Time is short so I am not reading all your replies, but I am pasting theSolution I found during having similar problem. Also, the word on this PC is inMy $#@&$#2$^ native language, so forgive me if I remember wrong the name ofSome tabs (like ?command line? or ?go to the File tab?)

One day,Ctrl-C, ctr-a ets didn?t work on word. Excel and notepad were OK. Took me someTime to notice that when I was opening the ?prossesing? tab (second one, nextTo ?file? one) on the command line, the shortcut keys mentioned next to copyAnd paste pictures were ?shift+insert? and ?ctrl+insert?.

So, ifThat?s the same with your computer, go to ?tools?? ?adjustment? (the one before theEnd of the list) ? ?Keybord?

Here thereAre all the commands that word recognize. I had to select ?all categories? andGo throe one by one command till I read the ?shift+insert? ets combination, inOrder to be able to figer out that ?Edit Paste? was the name of ?shift+insert?Command, on which I then add the ?ctrl-v? combination.

On my pcThe commands were:

EditCopy =?ctrl-c? command name

EditPaste =?ctrl-v? command name

EditCut =?ctrl-x? command name

EditSelectAll= ?ctrl-a? command name

Hope thatHelps and not just wasting your time.

Remove other shortcutsCtrl + C Will Not Work

Had this same problem that ctrl + c didn't work anyway. For  me the problem was that my wireless headset ctrl + c as a shortcut to answer calls in skype. When I unbound this in skype it started to work again. So make sure to remove any other uses of the combination.

/stupidme

-reply by TheDude

CTRL + C does not workCtrl + C Will Not Work

Suddenly discovered that Ctrl + C does not work, neither in Word, nor in NotePad etc. Actually it works, but you need to execute it two or more times. The rest (like Ctrl + V, Ctrl +X) work fine.And tried what some people have already suggested - stop some program which could intercept Ctrl + C. From several posts here, it followed that they are most likely some players.I have stopped my SMPlayer (I still think that it is one of the best) - and Ctrl + C came back.So I confirm - the problem is there. And solution - either stop player when you do not use it or look for another player. Good luck!

I've read all of the theories above :)

I am not going to annoy you..

This could be a problem related to interrupt conflict.

1.) Try using the on-screen keyboard for CTRL+C and then CTRL+V

if that works .. :P CTRL+C is not disabled :D congratulations...

2.) Go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information

check for Conflicts under Hardware resources

you can also look for if the keyboard hardware is properly recognized and what drivers are loaded for it in the next few drop downs.

Do this and reply back with your findings :D

I hope its not a hardware conflict.

btw.. what type of keyboard is it ? USB or PS2

and where did you test CTRL+C ? notepad or Wordpad ??

I had the same problem, and solved it.

Problem: CTRL+C will not work.

Reason: On my computer, another program (Skype) was using Ctrl+C to answer calls. Removing the keyboard shortcut solved the problem.

Im assuming its a similar issue, maybe with another program in question. Try closing any program (even in the background) that may have custom shortcuts, IE, winamp, etc. You MAY have hit COPY to copy something, when the shortcuts were being set, or the program itself over-rides the general copy function. (explains why CTRL+X works) Creative wireless headset software uses CTRL C to answer calls, for example.

In a nutshell, reset all hotkeys on any open programs. Hope that helps.

I would think that most of the issues have to do with programs like Skype, check your hot key settings. I know that answering calls conflicts with copy and paste.

I recently built a computer, everything seems to be alright with it, except one thing, CTRL + C just won't work. I'm running a Windows Windows Xp Pro SP2, and Ctrl + X and Ctrl + V work fine. I mean, I could probably just cut and paste anything I want to copy but it seems like such a hassle. Has anyone came across this problem before? Or know how to fix it?

I'm having the same problem.I tried to paste a snippet code on my web site but when I click update on the site,the code deletes
The instructions said,"select all and then ctrl+c" and paste it to my site.I did that but the code deletes.
Does anybody have a solution?
Thank you,
John Pearson!