xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
arnz

Australian Cricket The Ashes, the odi world series, and so forth

Following the Indian cricket thread, I would also like to call out any aussie cricket supporters around lol. Forget what the ODI series in australia is called at the moment (VB, Commonwealth cup, etc or whatever its called).. it'll always be known as the World series lolAt the moment the Ashes is underway, and just recently the third test had just completed, and Australia had just regained the Ashes with a 3-0 lead in a 5-test series. On the cricket section of the sports forum I mod at, many of the regs still go on about chopping and changing the side. Personally though I'm a bit of a beliver to dont change the winning side, however if there is a person that clearly isnt performing, then its a good case for either trying someone out new, and so forth. But at the same time, age is getting to many of the players.. about 5 players, Langer, Hayden, Gilchrist, McGrath & Warne are either 35 or over 35.Would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

I am Indian, but as I love cricket, so also admire the champs of cricket, the mighty Aussies. And again they have proven that they are the champs by clinching Ashes. But England team is not a very good test side.

about 5 players, Langer, Hayden, Gilchrist, McGrath & Warne are either 35 or over 35.

Yes, the problem with Aussies is that there main players, the match winners are going old and will retire and that too in bulk so new players should be given chance otherwise if you induct too many new faces then the performance and moral of team will go down.

I am Indian, but as I love cricket, so also admire the champs of cricket, the mighty Aussies. And again they have proven that they are the champs by clinching Ashes. But England team is not a very good test side.Yes, the problem with Aussies is that there main players, the match winners are going old and will retire and that too in bulk so new players should be given chance otherwise if you induct too many new faces then the performance and moral of team will go down.

Yes, hence the debate on many sides whether to phase them all out at once, or take them out one by one. Mind you the selectors have sacked long time champions beforehand without a "fairytale" send-off. See Mark Waugh, Ian Healy for example, both champs. But didnt get the send off they deserved.

Already they are plans for at least one or two changes at the end of the series at least. But they'll stick with the same side till the end of the Ashes (unless forced by injury).

Yes, hence the debate on many sides whether to phase them all out at once, or take them out one by one.

Well the right way to increase the bench strength is to change players one by one. One can't change the whole team to check new players. As now Australia has won the Ashes they can give rest to some seniors and try new guys. So that new talents get a chance and at the same time be able to learn from some seniors who are in the team.

But they'll stick with the same side till the end of the Ashes (unless forced by injury).

If these happens then it is not going to help Australian team, they might end the series with a white wash but will not be able to gain a single talent.

Australia does have a lot of new talent coming in, but as the seasoned players are doing so well, why would you change? Players earn their spot on the team and when a new player earns a spot, he will be played. I heard today that Shane Warne is thinking of retiring, (not before he gets his 700 wickets I hope) so that will give a new person a spot. As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."Don't forget, it wasn't that many years ago when Australian cricket was not doing so well. "Make hay while the sun shines" I say.

Players earn their spot on the team and when a new player earns a spot, he will be played.

I agree with you but the problem with Australia is that many players will be retiring with in few years. And you can't put all new faces at once, you should be giving the new players the experience of International cricket before expecting them to became Shane Warne or Gilchrist. So I think now when Ashes have been won, why shouldn't try and give chance for new players and keep seniors fresh for new upcoming series.

Speaking of things, with the now recent retirements of Warne (after the Sydney test), and McGrath (after the World Cup). It probably would be between 12-18 months before Australia is a much younger side by age average, but still there is a good balance of old and new. esp the likes of Ponting, Hussey, Stuart Clark, and Lee in which all 4 are currently 30 or 31 years old and will eventually have to face being labelled "dads army" in 4-5 years time, presuming those 4 are still around by that time.

I agree with you but the problem with Australia is that many players will be retiring with in few years. And you can't put all new faces at once, you should be giving the new players the experience of International cricket before expecting them to became Shane Warne or Gilchrist. So I think now when Ashes have been won, why shouldn't try and give chance for new players and keep seniors fresh for new upcoming series.

I think you have just revealed Australia's secret plans. I would be very surprised if we don't see some new faces in the 2 remaining Test matches. Keep in mind however, Australia wants to win the Test series 5-0 just to prove that they are the best in the world. Perhaps this is being arrogant, but the loss to England at the last series really hurt the Australian team so they want to make amends.

Yes there will be a few players retiring, but there are many new players that could easily take their place in the team without sacrificing the quality of the team. Sure, you can't expect them to be a Shane Warne or Gilchrist, but over the years there have been many great players that people thought were irreplaceable. For example, who ever thought there would be a wicketkeeper as good as Marsh ever again? Gilchrist filled those shoes easily, and as a bonus, he can bat too.

Players come and go, if they are good enough, each will make their own mark on the game.

In other forums, many of the aussie players are heavily scrutinised too, you got Gilchrist's batting "covering up for the passable WK skills", Lee's inconsistency in tests (ie over 30 bowling average), and the ever lasting, never stopping, test-all rounder debate. I'm probably neutral on some of them, but for the all-rounder debate, I'd probably would say scrap it, and keep to the 6 bats, 1 wk/bat, 4 bowlers layout.

but still there is a good balance of old and new. esp the likes of Ponting, Hussey, Stuart Clark, and Lee in which all 4 are currently 30 or 31 years old

Yes there will be a few players retiring, but there are many new players that could easily take their place in the team without sacrificing the quality of the team.

As far as the One-day team is concerned, team will not be affected as Warne has left One-days way back and Mc Grath due to injury haven't played much and the new players are good one-dayers. But in test there is big problem starting from top order where there is Justin Langer, who is not consistent, bowlers also not performing well, just look back who has taken most wickets, the old ones or the new ones.

Australia wants to win the Test series 5-0 just to prove that they are the best in the world

I don't think by defeating England team by 5-0 one can prove that they are the best in the world. As I have said earlier also England is not a good test playing nation, it's ranking may be high but that doesn't shows that they are good side. The moral of English players are down for ages. I don't remember after last years Ashes win they have done or achieved something. In fact they have lost every where, firstly in Pakistan than in India.

but for the all-rounder debate, I'd probably would say scrap it, and keep to the 6 bats, 1 wk/bat, 4 bowlers layout.

I would prefer a batsman who can bowl a bit, that is when require he must be able to bowl 6-7 over spell in which produce 8-10 quality balls, thats all is required. So that whenever any partnership goes long this bowler can just divert the mind of batsman. This type of all-rounder is necessary in every team to become world beaters.

Following the Indian cricket thread, I would also like to call out any aussie cricket supporters around lol. Forget what the ODI series in australia is called at the moment (VB, Commonwealth cup, etc or whatever its called).. it'll always be known as the World series lol
At the moment the Ashes is underway, and just recently the third test had just completed, and Australia had just regained the Ashes with a 3-0 lead in a 5-test series. On the cricket section of the sports forum I mod at, many of the regs still go on about chopping and changing the side.

Personally though I'm a bit of a beliver to dont change the winning side, however if there is a person that clearly isnt performing, then its a good case for either trying someone out new, and so forth. But at the same time, age is getting to many of the players.. about 5 players, Langer, Hayden, Gilchrist, McGrath & Warne are either 35 or over 35.

Would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

just wait a couple of years, australia has a few rising stars

OH there are a few out there, even those that may possibly have to start in their late 20s/early 30s like Hussey, and the back-up keeper in Haddin. Of course, there are the mid 20s like Rogers, Jacques which are touted as the next openers, and even Symonds managed to get a big score today in the 4th ashes test (of course Symonds must go on with it in the next few tests if he wants to keep his spot!).

At last a White wash in Ashes. Now in one day series again England will have to face humiliating defeat thats for sure.Now after retirement of Martin, McGrath, Warne and Langer, we have to see whether Australians are still capable to remain number one in test cricket or now the turn is for some other team. In one day I dont think they will have any problem, as these players were not playing onedayers for many months.

Well in some positive ways.. the likes of Ponting, Hussey, Lee and Clark are already in their early 30s, so in about 4-5 years time if that group are still around.. they'll be facing the "dads army" tag by then.But as for the remaining 'army' members Gilchrist and Hayden, theyd have a fair bit of responsibilty to guide the younger players around, supported by the players (in their early 30s ie Hussey, Ponting, etc) at the peak of their careers.

Gilchrist and Hayden, theyd have a fair bit of responsibilty to guide the younger players around,

Yeah definitely, they have dual responsibility of performing well and guiding youngster. And I think they are capable enough to handle this. Meanwhile team is again performing well in tri-series and will again emerge as winners.