xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
midnitesun

Advantages Of Using Tableless Designs For Web Pages

I must say I am very outdated with regards to web design and I am trying my best to catch up. I am basically doing the backend part of websites in my internship, very very rarely do I even need to touch the graphical part and to my best of knowledge, tables are used very often even on a corporate level, tables are used to structure the page and there isn't any css used unfortunately. Nonetheless, I wish to brush up on my web designing skills and those websites have been bookmarked by me, I will have a look when I get back home.
There is 1 site I go to: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ After reading this topic and also about how much space and time it saves with the elimation of tables, I am under the idea that it is loading heavily on tables and that is the reason why the site is so slow. Can anyone confirm this?

sites like this are example of bad use of tables.

but nobody can say that you should completely eliminate tables from web design, although it would be the smartest thing to do.

another thing that is the prob with designing with css is browser difference. there is no way that someone can design website that looks the same in any browser using css, well not even with tables such a thing is possible...

somebody here mentioned that div's are better couse you can make them disappear with display: none;

well

<html><head><title>Layout 1</title><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"><meta name="tutorial1" content="table css"><style type="text/css">div {	display: none;	}</style></head><body><div><table><tr>	<td width="500px" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" align="center">This is my table</td></tr></table></div></body>

You can't see the table now :lol:

you can hide the table and its contents without even using div tags

<table style="display:none" border="1" width="100%" id="table1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">	<tr>		<td> </td>	</tr></table>

same can be applied to tr and td tags too , pretty useful when you dont need a particular peice of for the time being but will need later, so you dont have to go through your code again just when you need it simply remove display:none

tables are deprecated? i didn't know that. although i do know that too much nested tables would make loading time a lot slower. well, good thing i'm still using my good ol' kubrick layout from wordpress. :lol: