xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
paulmason411

Best Text Editor? Looking for a TE that auto-indents.

if it's java, you can use jCreator. although i forgot which version it was. if your pc can handle the load, use NetBeans or Eclipse. these IDE's help a lot. i'm currently using netbeans 5.0 for developing my application, although i'm not using the drag and drop feature because it limits my ability as a programmer. i'd rather create my GUI's by hand-coding it myself.on the back side, netbeans is too slow even for a fast pc like mine

Notepad. The only way to go. Notepad! I should really expand on this and say why Notepad is the only way to go... Well, it's like the Visual Basic language, it's so powerful because it's so basic and raw. Notepad is the most basic text editor and, in my opinion, the best.

I have a slight guilt complex... basically, with Notepad, you use what you write... no templates or fancy options. So use Notepad!

Notepad is definitely out of the question as Paulmason11 wanted a text editor which indents his code automatically for him. With Notepad, you have to press tab manually for each line to indent each line of code. It may be the most raw, basic text utility but it does not help to keep pressing tab when you need to indent a line of code, wastes too much time IMO. If you are programming Java related codes, then I would suggest you to use Netbeans, the new version is out at 5.5, not too sure about the changes though, you can go download it at https://netbeans.org/

I am surprised that Netbeans actually runs slow on a fast computer. I am having a 2.66 gHZ, 512 MB RAM desktop and it runs pretty quick for me. Netbeans should not be limited to a fast PC but I am sure if they meet the minimum requirement of 512 MB RAM, it should work just fine. The only screwy thing about Netbeans is that if you use their GUI drag and drop, you could end up getting non-editable codes and that is the part I hate most about it. But if you use low-level APIs like Canvas, you would enjoy full customization.

I suggest NotePad 2. :lol:It is more powerful than notepad but provides the good 'ol same service with more added features. Better yet, it is free! I have attached a download of Notepad2 if you do not bother searching it in the web ^_^ Have fun creating codes.

Well, Notepad is nice and raw, and forces you to make your own code, but no indentation does gets annoying, and other failures... I use UltraEdit for all editing... It even colours functions statements and keywords of several programming languages (including HTML script)...So when you indent one line, it keeps indenting it automaticaly, until you change indentation... One of it's better features is "column edit mode", where you can change something across many rows, at the same time, which can sometimes speed up things... And it doesn't have high system requirements... Very lightweight, and usefull tool...